SIGforum
SIGforum Entomologists: Can You Identify This Bug?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6550022684

October 26, 2021, 01:31 PM
ensigmatic
SIGforum Entomologists: Can You Identify This Bug?
Found this creature sitting on the edge of the laundry room counter the other day. Caught, photographed, and released outside.

Wonder what the heck it is, and hoping letting it live wasn't a mistake.

Sure was a slow mover.

Sorry for the poor lighting, but it was climbing the side of the glass and I didn't want it escaping in the house, so I didn't have time to refine it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
October 26, 2021, 01:34 PM
RogueJSK
Looks like a stink bug.

October 26, 2021, 01:35 PM
Mars_Attacks
Looks like an assassin bug.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.
October 26, 2021, 01:36 PM
mutedblade
Assassin bug. He's a good one to have around but be careful, he'll light you up too.

October 26, 2021, 01:36 PM
PASig
maybe this?

Western Conifer Seed Bug

October 26, 2021, 01:37 PM
BigSwede
Looks a bit like an Assassin Bug

October 26, 2021, 01:39 PM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
maybe this?

Western Conifer Seed Bug

Yeah, I think this one's correct. Similar to a stink bug but skinnier, and has the bulges on the back legs.

October 26, 2021, 01:47 PM
ensigmatic
Looks like PASig nailed it.

It's definitely not a Stink Bug. We get a lot of those in late summer, early fall. I know what those look like.

Looking at on-line images of Assassin Bugs: Neither the coloration nor the legs look right.

So it's probably a Western Conifer Seed Bug.

Thanks, y'all!

ETA:

Just figured out how it likely ended up in the downstairs laundry room--or, more accurately, my wife did: I spent three nights and the better part of four days at the up-north property of one of my best friends, weekend-before-last. There's more conifers than anything else up there. I bet it rode in on the flannel sheets I brought back.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher