SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best sleep aids?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best sleep aids? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
My wife has trouble getting to sleep these days. I know we have more than a few members who have the same problem. Can anyone recommend a non-prescription sleep aid? No Ambien or anything like that, and not for use every day. I think if she could get one really good night's sleep a week, she'd be OK.

She tried melatonin and it was ineffective. Any ideas? Thanks

Posts: 109047 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that has trouble sleeping and uses Advil PM every once in a while when she needs sleep. It definitely helps her fall asleep not sure it helps through the entire night.

I've tried it with mixed results.

I believe it uses the same active med in Benadryl for the sleep aid portion.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Benadryl (generic) works for me. 50mg about 45 min before bed. I actually use it to keep pollen from making my eyes feel like sandpaper by morning, but it does work as a sleep aid.

Posts: 765 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I use ZzzQuill (it's Benadryl and the dosage is the same as two of their capsules).

Non-habit forming and helps me sleep as I have the WORST sinuses in the world (said the older than the hills VA doc many years ago).

Bob

Posts: 1671 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
ZzzQuil works pretty good, might be worth trying.

https://www.amazon.com/Vicks-Z...d=1716935218&sr=8-10

Posts: 1795 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
CBN gummies have been working fairly well for me.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16900 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Magnesium glycinate works great for me. I bought a huge stock of the Calm brand with lavender and lemon awhile back after I had tried it out and found that it worked. You may have to shop around a bit as it looks like a lot of places are "out of stock" (though there are other combinations/flavors).

I'd stay away from anything with benadryl. While it'll work, it stays on board for a good long time, leaving a hangover.

I've also had decent luck with chamomile and valerian teas.

My sister swears by THC gummies, but she's a hippie communist, so there's that.

Posts: 20563 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
If she takes a 24 hour antihistamine, move it from morning to bedtime. Then also at bedtime take 200 mg of L-theanine and 500 mg of Ashwagandha. Musicozy headphones and a Lina Grace playlist also help me.

Posts: 45538 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
I know it’s a lot but the best advice is to stop eating inflammatory food/drink, be active and expend energy during the day, and use “headspace” phone app.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2262 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I know you specified otherwise, 1/4 mg Xanax acts fast and not enough to have trouble with. A half hour before lights out, zzz.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8544 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never had anything like a hangover with Benadryl, nor has my wife. I have no difficulty taking ZzzQuill at about 8:30-9PM, going to bed half an hour or so later, and getting up about 5-7AM depending on what the day holds for me. My wife is almost always out of bed by 7AM.

Perhaps the hangover Gustofer speaks of affects only some people?

Edited: My medical source (wife), says yes, it does affect some people just as Gustofer said, and about the only thing to do is try a couple Benadryls in the evening and see how one feels the next morning.

Bob

Posts: 1671 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
It's not medication, but YouTube has numerous rain, white noise, and even B-52 sounds that will play with a completely black screen. I used to use my phone, but I bought a new TV for bedroom and use that now because it has a sleep timer, and if I forget to set it, the TV turns off at 2:00 by itself (through settings, not cursed).

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
a non-prescription sleep aid? No Ambien or anything like that, and not for use every day...

She tried melatonin and it was ineffective. Any ideas?

Anything with "PM" in its name will have a 1st gen antihistamine in it, and the most common one is diphenhydramine (which is generic for Benadryl). Just to help you sleep only, take diphenhydramine only and not any of the other unnecessary ingredients. As with any meds, different folks respond differently to it. Some folks experience lingering tiredness and even achiness the next day. Other folks, like Bob and his wife above, experience none of that. Even others get no help to sleep at all. Worst case scenario is an allergic reaction from Benadryl, ironically, as the med is supposed to help combat allergy.

Q

Posts: 27512 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pace40:
Benadryl (generic) works for me. 50mg about 45 min before bed. I actually use it to keep pollen from making my eyes feel like sandpaper by morning, but it does work as a sleep aid.

I think it depends on the person. It's actually the opposite for me - Benadryl makes my heart race and keeps me awake.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16632 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I think it depends on the person. It's actually the opposite for me - Benadryl makes my heart race and keeps me awake.

Right. Benadryl works as intended for most folks. You're just one of the unfortunate ones that it has the opposite effect on.

Q

Posts: 27512 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Benadryl is the only thing that works for me.

Well in Texas they sell some sleep aid gummies with thc in them that worked really well but due to having to take the pee test twice a year those are off the table for me. But they sure worked good!

Posts: 18139 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
quote:
Originally posted by pace40:

I would agree. Benadryl has no effect either way as far as awakeness is concerned. (It did when I first began taking it in my youth, making me quite sleepy. If I were to stop taking it for an extended period of time, and then resume, it would once again have a sedative effect.)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16900 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheeze:
I know it’s a lot but the best advice is to stop eating inflammatory food/drink

That works 100% the opposite on me.

Posts: 21345 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Magnesium works for me. Right to sleep every night.

Posts: 2044 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Another vote for ZZZquill. I use more than the suggested amount. If you take a couple Motrin or asprin, with the Zzzquill, it works even better.

If you already take Gabapentin (check spelling). Take it about 45 minutes before you take the Zzzquill. I am confident you will fall asleep quickly.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14038 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post