SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best sleep aids?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best sleep aids? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post

This has worked for me for more than a few years.

A word of caution.

Some

O.t.c. meds used often can be damaging to compromised body parts, organs, joints, skin eyes.

Especially when patients are over 50 or on numerous other meds

Please consider a doctors consult .
Just because it's on the shelf , doesn't mean it's safe for all people under any conditions.

Dr. mandall also has
A half dozen other sleep aid suggestions on his Y.T. channel

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55175 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this thread. There’s a few more things I can try (like the Calm, and the banana above). I’ve tried melatonin, zzquil, sleep aid (generic version of zzzquil), Benadryl, gummies, all with no real help. My pineal gland needs a shakeup, but the night sweats don’t help.
I haven’t tried a banana yet, though. It’s on the menu tonight.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5499 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I went to the mattress store and got me one of those $200 memory foam pillows and the softest mattress they had.

I'm out the instant I hit it now.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34390 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I went to the mattress store and got me one of those $200 memory foam pillows and the softest mattress they had.

I'm out the instant I hit it now.

People overlook this aspect. My wife and I switched to the Costco Novafoam Comfort Grande series mattress and it’s been absolutely amazing for sleeping.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9183 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Father in law has had success with eating some mixed nuts or peanut butter before bed.

Posts: 826 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
A few days a week I will take 10mg of Melatonin and if I need a little more help a cap and a half of “Purple Drink” (diphenhydramine/Zzquil)

Sleep good and frequently have some pretty entertaining REM dreaming.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11220 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
Unison. OTC non-narcotic or habit forming and you can take every day.
I give it to my 88 y/o mom every night.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2249 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
Has she ever tried Sleepy Time tea? Every time I drink that, I'm out cold.

https://celestialseasonings.co...e-classic-herbal-tea

Posts: 371 | Location: RGV Texas | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigbuck5:
Has she ever tried Sleepy Time tea? Every time I drink that, I'm out cold.

https://celestialseasonings.co...e-classic-herbal-tea

The Extra version works a bit better but having a tea before bed means you’re going to be up to pee in 2-3 hours. I’ve abandoned using tea for sleep.

Posts: 45538 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lunasee:
Rubbing one out and taking a bong hit works for me. Big Grin
This thread is about my wife. Mind your manners.

Posts: 109046 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of doublecorona
posted Hide Post
Para, I've suffered from insomia for awhile and it is extremely frustrating, so my sympathy to you and your wife.

I've tried everything: melatonin, sleepy time tea, gummies, etc. Here is what is working for me: stop all ectronic screen time two hours for bed, read for 30 minutes, write down my to do list for the next day, box breathing for 5 minuets (breathe in for 4 seconds, hold for 4 seconds, exhale for 4 seconds, hold for 4 seconds, repeat. I have to do this standing or sitting up) and prayer.

I hope this helps and you find a solution.

Deplorable NRA Life Member

Posts: 1058 | Location: Where my mind is not | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My wife swears by THC gummies, 20mg strength, Indica strain. Sleeps like a baby!

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
Nightly melatonin for me.

I had read an article about red light helping to produce melatonin so I ordered an Olight Obulb Multi-color. It CERTAINLY helps me.

Rick

Posts: 1379 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Magnesium glycinate works for me taking two shortly before bedtime though that is not what I originally bought it for. Not all brands are created equal though and typically don't indicate elemental amount in their product. I like the Now brand but the Dr Best brand also is very good and for less. My daughter takes that and commented how it helps her sleep. Most people need more magnesium anyway. I have taken Tylenol PM in the past but then don't want to get up in the morning. I will add that any pain can make it hard to get a good night sleep. My shoulder bothered me for a while and that was horrible getting good sleep until resolved. Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/Doctors...mFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Posts: 9826 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know you asked about meds. A sleep study would be a good start.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I know you asked about meds. A sleep study would be a good start.

Yeah good point. A lot of people don't realize they have a problem with sleep apnea. My brother was one of those.

Posts: 9826 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Para, in addition to looking into a sleep study or a different mattress, you might want to look into some other "environmental" things that can affect sleep.

Does she drink coffee or other caffeinated drinks? If so, try not to have anything after 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

No "screens" (phone, computer, tablet) after 7 or 8 in the evening.

Bedroom should be as dark (the wife has some kind of "black out" screens in our room) and as cool as possible. I also run a white noise generator all night.

Posts: 6567 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
One thing that I should have mentioned is melatonin does work, especially the timed release sort. However, it gives me a raging headache all the next day so it's not worth it for me. I did try the diphenhydramine (sleep aid from Walmart) but it also gave me long lasting headaches. Not as bad as the melatonin though. They were just the sort that you can't shake for the whole next day. No pain reliever works on those headaches for some reason, you just have to ride them out.

Posts: 45538 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:

My wife, on recommendation from her DR started taking what I believe is the generic version of Unisom.

Doxylamine succinate tablets

Diphenhydramine HCl [/QUOTE]

Veeper nailed it. I agree and disagree but this stuff works different on people. My exp,

Both Unisom and ZZZquil have products offering both of the above mentioned drugs in them. It's confusing but here's the breakdown. And the one I like seems to be the more elusive one.

Doxylamine Succinate - This is an active ingredient in regular Nyquil. It's a powerful decongestant and the thing that knocks you out. This is the undisputed heavyweight champ as far as I'm concerned. I eat less than half when I used to take it. Don't need a full pill and any after effect in the AM is quickly overcome.

Diphenhydramine HCl - This one is Benadryl. Yes, can make you sleep and tired, etc. But for me the morning grogginess is brutal and not easily overcome by coffee or water. Dries me out and does all the Benadryl things. Most sleep aids are using this and I'd rather take nothing than deal with a work alarm clock after taking this the night before.

I don't take anything these days but I keep a Doxy bottle in the shelf. It's the only option I'd want.

Valerian root was mentioned and it's excellent at relaxing or winding down and probably helps you sleep a little. Smells like the zoo though.

Melatonin sucks.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 7018 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
You have to watch the NyQuil kind of stuff if you have a heart condition. It could be dangerous.

Posts: 6722 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post