SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Watch Guys...Can I get some suggestions?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Watch Guys...Can I get some suggestions? Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Glycine is now owned by Invicta and the true Swiss movements they had in them are a thing of the past now.

That is disappointing to read, this will be the last Glycine I buy.

Invicta is to watches what Gurkha is to cigars.

I wouldn’t completely write off Glycine. Their pre-Invicta watches are great. I have a 1995 ref: 3842 50m combat automatic field style watch that has been superb.

That acquisition took place in 2016. There are tons of pre-Invicta combat subs out there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I have two pre-Invicta Gylcines: Both large 46mm watches. A 2002 Airman 46 (ETA 2893-2) and a 2000 KMU46 (ETA Unitas 6497-1). Both have been stellar. Big Grin
The post-Invicta Glycines I have no experience with and have heard both bad and good things about them.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
some ideas

#1 Vero Watch Local USA Company Watches are Assembled in Portland Oregon, Swiss Movement, cases are made here. I was dreaming of starting a watch company and met the owner very nice guy. They make several styles all good-looking. Open Water Series 200M water resistant and they regulate it in 5 positions prior to shipping it to you.

check out the forum Watchuseek.com

For Swiss
Ball (former US watch, then swiss, now owned by an entity in Hong Kong) You can get new ones for sub-2000. Mine was $1,500 on sale pre-release.

Hamilton(former US, now part of Swiss -Swatch conglomerate)

Tissot - My daily watch is a quartz model and has been going strong for 23 years now. Changed the battery every 5 years or so and 1 cleaning/oiling. Really proud of that watch. They have several nice automatics that are similar to the style you are looking for.

For Japanese:

SEIKO of course

Orient Watch IMHO a great automatic watch. Orient is owned by the SEIKO-EPSON Group and is positioned at a lower price point. Looking through their website just now and I was itching to grab my credit card... The MAKO is their goto dive watch

British:

Christopher Ward Swiss/British watches, many very cool and good-looking ones.

Canadian:
Marathon I have only heard very good reviews and it seems many forum members here are wearing them. (I kind of expected that)

Hope this is some help or new ideas for the OP and any other member that takes the time to read my post.

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Another thumbs up for Hamilton Khaki! I bought this Hamilton Khaki Aviation Converter GMT for $1400.00 a few weeks ago. A beautiful alternative to a much more expensive Brietling Navitimer, that does away with the chronograph feature, has a GMT feature, has an 80 hour power reserve, better water protection, and sells for about $7,000.00 less!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pulicords,

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett257:...I love the price, but I'm it's not my preference for looks. ...

I think you picked up my gist then. It's easy and tempting to start buying everything that sparks your fancy. Many MANY watch guys do. But if you want some of the more premium stuff, you've got to be disciplined. You can lose a lot of money playing with cheap watches. (not denigrating the watch here, just sayin), and you can make money, sometimes a fair amount over time, on better watches, -- if you ever decide to sell. I know this isn't an investment thread. But it gets my attention when you want a good watch, and you have a $2k budget, and then, away we go with spontaneous retail store purchases.

Edit to add: there are a lot of great watches that are inexpensive. Nothing wrong with them if that's what you want. I've been in there a time or two over the years. Just trying to be helpful.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: r0gue,

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Family Man
posted Hide Post
I want to again thank everyone for all of their advice and contributions to this thread.

r0gue: Fair point. It certainly was a spontaneous retail purchase, and it's already been returned. I was hoping it might be good enough, but I didn't care much for it after I was able to try it on.

I'm going to visit several jewelry stores in the area to try on a bunch of different watches, so I can get an idea of what size case I like the best. The 42 mm seemed really small on my wrist compared to my 44mm Apple watch.

Posts: 987 | Registered: December 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
That Glycine has a movement used by many, many other Swiss watches. ETA 2824-2 if it says 25 jewels or Sellita SW200-1 if it says 26.

If you buy something else with the same movement, you will mostly be doing so for the style/finish.

A very solid movement in any watch. Reasonably accurate day to day.

Glycine is now owned by Invicta and the true Swiss movements they had in them are a thing of the past now.

They are calling it a Sellita 200, but in reality they are chinese clones of the movements. I buy them for parts as a true SW200 is $250 and the Glycine watch hovers just over $400.

The chinese clone is around $30 and is absolutely identical, as if Sellita is outsourcing their low end production. (yes, they are) SeaGull is the factory producing them.

For spending two thousand dollars, there are really nice true Swiss options available.

I find Magrette to be a very interesting and affordable option. This Moana Pacific Professional Titanium has the Sellita SW200-1 which they state is Swiss made. If I read your post correctly, Mars, you are saying this movement is a Chinese clone?

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I don’t think you can go wrong with the OG automatic Omega Seamaster Bond watch or a Seiko Turtle. The orange Seiko “Nemo” isn’t for everyone but since Seiko makes a trillion variants and different color ways they probably make one you will like.

The PADI turtle and Save The Ocean variants are also sweet. I own a lot of watches but the one I alway take on vacations and trips outside the US is my trusty Seiko PADI turtle.

This was taken at Saint Thomas in 2019. The PADI be going back to the Caribbean for a vacation this winter. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I have an older Seiko Black Monster and I like it too! 19 years and still running without a service call.

Posts: 6621 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
When considering purchasing a watch, especially one with an automatic movement and even more so one with complications, you should factor in the cost of periodically servicing the watch. When I was given my Sub Date 25 years ago, I could have it serviced for $350 plus parts. Today, it's around $800 or more plus parts I believe. Servicing for my Omegas are priced similarly. Considering I purchased my Seamaster Pro Black Bond Chrono new 11 years agp for $2400, it's painful to think I will have to spend 1/3rd of the price of the watch or more to have it serviced this year.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A) Service costs have become insane - part of the reason why I like my spring drive Seiko's - though I should still need services at times.

B) There are very cool watches for around that price, which shouldn't cost you much of a loss.

Seiko Tuna 1000M, The limited edition Captain Willard w. the GS movement, or get an Oris dress watch. (Or some G Shocks)

Your best bet might be to get to know a local, small Rolex AD, talk to him about wanting a sub, and knowing it takes time/you need to save up for it, and buy something else he has in stock, which you will still wear once you get your sub.

Probably, a dress watch would be your best bet. Unless you have some serious OCD/live in the public eye, you can probably find a single watch to work for church/date night/professional wear.

Posts: 5740 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
First thing I would do is reach out to our resident watch/jewelry guru: David Truong...

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I also have a Seiko Shogun. A very nice titanium watch. I don't know what they cost today but it should be under $1000.

Posts: 6621 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone suggested the Apple watches were hideously ugly, but I really like them. I am a time guy-I gotta know what time it is and gotta know it is the correct time. The Apple watches I have (3 between me and my wife) are dead-nuts accurate. All of the Quartz watches I have owned are the same. My most recent watch (before the Apples) was the Luminox Pacific Diver and it, too, was an absolutely perfect timekeeper. Still have a G-Shock-same thing.

But I have had a LOT of automatics, starting with a Bulova when I was in High School, 60 years ago. Called 'em self-winding back then.

From that one up to the last Rolex Sub I had, none of them-NONE-were really accurate, though the last Sub was pretty close. The first 4 Subs stunk IMO as to accuracy, IMO.

My experience with the Glycine was the same-had to reset it every couple of days.

We rarely watch TV, but if we want to see a movie that starts at 8 PM, it drives me nuts (or nuttier) to turn on the TV and find out it has already started, though my watch says 8 on the dot.

I never had one of the newer Hamilton Khakis or an Omega. But most of the other autos I have tried at one time or another.

Now it is possible, as one guy suggested, that it is me-my body-that is causing the autos to run amok.

I have been in Afib since either 2011 or 2012-and perhaps that is causing the problem, but I can find no support for that idea on the 'Net or from my doc.

The Autos are pretty, for sure, but I just gotta have a watch that tells me the CORRECT time, so for me it's gotta be as quartz of some type not an auto.

Looks on a watch are great, but accuracy, for me, is the determining factor in what I wear.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Would it really be that hard for Apple to try and make an attractive watch? I get the functionality but it’s almost like they are trying to make unattractive watches.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm the only one who clicked on this thread to see what I should be watching . . . .

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Would it really be that hard for Apple to try and make an attractive watch? I get the functionality but it’s almost like they are trying to make unattractive watches.

Eye of the beholder I guess, but I find them very classy (for a smartwatch)and with the interchangeable bands can blend very well with nicer outfits.

That’s actually one of the reason I sold mine after ‘many’ years of wearing one. I missed wearing a my analogs and felt too tied to my phone; even if I put the phone down, I was still attached via my watch…to include answering the phone. People knew I wore it and began to expect ‘immediate’ responses because of it.

Now my ‘every day’ is my Garmin Fenix 6. No more phone answering, no more emails, and even if I get a text alert, I rarely respond immediately. Made my life less stressful!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
I also have a Seiko Shogun. A very nice titanium watch. I don't know what they cost today but it should be under $1000.

Seiko SPB191. $1350 retail these days.
I want one, but it's way beyond my budget.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
[If I read your post correctly, Mars, you are saying this movement is a Chinese clone?

Outsourced for the low end models, and the chinese are selling them as unbranded originals.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34120 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:

Seiko SPB191. $1350 retail these days.
I want one, but it's way beyond my budget.

Dang, that's a sharp looking piece.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post