SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Watch Guys...Can I get some suggestions?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Watch Guys...Can I get some suggestions? Login/Join 
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Oris in that price range as mentioned twice before. Their rubber Aquis strap is the BEST strap out there. The bracelets are also very nice. Alot of offerings from Oris available so really depends on your style.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
The bracelet on my Oris Aquis is more comfortable than my Omega. Solid watch. Power reserve is on the lower side. Accuracy is respectable especially if you find the right position.

Posts: 17890 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I love my Sinn. It's not something I'd wear with a suit, but it's typically overengineered German quality. Absolutely bomb proof diver. I own and really like a Marathon GSAR and it doesn't compare to the Sinn. Granted they are in two different price ranges, but it's worth the difference. Neat thing was that while I was picking up my Speedmaster, the Omega folks were taking turns checking out my U2. Watch nerds gotta watch nerd...

Nothing wrong with Marathon though. It's a big, thick watch, but I don't feel those are negatives for most purposes. It's also well under your budget.

I really like a lot of the Christopher Ward watches. I've got several, and while it's not a brand people recognize they hit well above their price point from a build quality standpoint.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I sold my Sinn U2 to fund my first Rolex and my 757 UTC to fund another. Of course, I miss the U2 and will get another, probably on my next trip to the Fatherland.

I was in Puerto Rico two weeks ago and sat next to a guy at a bar who was wearing a Sinn 104. Don't see that in the wild too often.

Posts: 3540 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
$2000?

You can get a TAG Heuer Carrera for that.

The new Hamilton Jazzmaster Performer chrono is an alternative to the $10K Zenith.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mars_Attacks,

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34121 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett257:
Thanks so much for all of the suggestions.

I'm not necessarily interested in the watch as a piece of jewelry, but still want it to look nice.

I really like the look of the Sinn 104, but some of the Seiko's seems really nice for the money. I also really like the Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro 300, but I'm not sure what size I would need to order.

Can anyone provide some reputable watch retailers online?

How do I confirm that a shop is selling a real grey market watch? Will they announce it as grey market?

I happened to be at Costco today, and grabbed a Glycine Combat Sub for $240. I liked the look, but don't know anything about it except it's Swiss made. Any experience with this brand?

Congrats on the Combat Sub! I used to moderate a Glycine page on Facebook dedicated to Glycine watches. I own a few combat subs as well as some older pre Invicta days Glycine watches. For the money they are a superb entry into the alluring and expensive world of Swiss made automatic dive watches.

Two of my favs in the Glycine Combat Sub category are my “red radar” and vintage sandy dial blue sub.

I gave my father one of these watches a few years ago. He is ESPECIALLY hard on his watches. The watch looks likes it’s been worn 20 years but it’s held up pretty damn well. It has a lot more dings and scratches than my minty version but it’s still keeping great time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
Tudor watch. IIRC it is a low budget look alike made by Rolex?. They have some nice models. But contact our Dave Troung and he can help/steer you in your search. That's what I did and a few weeks later, he found my Rolex. Great guy is Dave!

I don't think Tudor will get you in for $2000, though. Maybe a used Tudor.

Seiko will give you many choices in an auto under $2000.

Sinn, too.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I'll add my recommendation for Rescoe Instruments. It's a very small watch company owned by an active duty Navy SEAL. The watches are unique and good looking. I think most of his lines are more expensive than they should be for the movements, but the Manus line is a nice price point for a watch of its caliber. It's a unique watch that has a good story and you'll pretty much never run into someone else wearing one unless you hang out with SEALs a lot.
Link

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seiko makes a great looking dive watch.

About 100 different models with every look out there copied.

It is not waterproof at the listed depth.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I own a Marathon TSAR. I've been interested in Ball lately. Walked into a store in Denver just to get a look at them. Honestly, if I'd had the money in my pocket that day I would have walked out with an Oris. Don't know why really.

Posts: 7527 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Brett257, post up a pic of that Glycine. I’m curious which one you got.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Brett257, post up a pic of that Glycine. I’m curious which one you got.

I was in Costco today and stopped by their watch case specifically wondering which one he got. My local did not have any Glycines.

Let's see a pic, Brett!

Posts: 17137 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
I happened to be at Costco today, and grabbed a Glycine Combat Sub for $240. I liked the look, but don't know anything about it except it's Swiss made. Any experience with this brand?

Is the budget now $1760? Perhaps that scratched the itch and you're done, since it is "Swiss Made", or are you still in the hunt for the celebration automatic watch?

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
My Costco Glycine

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Family Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:

Is the budget now $1760? Perhaps that scratched the itch and you're done, since it is "Swiss Made", or are you still in the hunt for the celebration automatic watch?

The watch that Ronin posted is the watch I purchased. I love the price, but I'm it's not my preference for looks.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads right now. I may keep the Glycine and keep saving for something else or I may return it and stay on the hunt.

I tried on a Seiko "Turtle" yesterday similar to what Dave recommended, and I liked that a lot, but I'm limited to what the stores have here in my area.

There are just so many choices out there.

I'm working my way through the Watch Revival thread looking for advice and inspiration.

I really appreciate everyone's input thus far.

Posts: 987 | Registered: December 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
That Glycine has a movement used by many, many other Swiss watches. ETA 2824-2 if it says 25 jewels or Sellita SW200-1 if it says 26.

If you buy something else with the same movement, you will mostly be doing so for the style/finish.

A very solid movement in any watch. Reasonably accurate day to day.

Posts: 17890 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend buying a luxury watch preowned.

My daily wear is an IWC. I would not be wearing this watch if my wife bought it new. This was a milestone anniversary gift. I decided on govberg for the website to use. The watch was serviced by IWC and came with the documentation of their service and a warranty. I added the clasp to the leather band that was ridiculously expensive but for the life of the watch it is really a nice detail.

Go used Tudor for your budget. Just use a reputable website. Govberg is great.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
That Glycine has a movement used by many, many other Swiss watches. ETA 2824-2 if it says 25 jewels or Sellita SW200-1 if it says 26.

If you buy something else with the same movement, you will mostly be doing so for the style/finish.

A very solid movement in any watch. Reasonably accurate day to day.

Glycine is now owned by Invicta and the true Swiss movements they had in them are a thing of the past now.

They are calling it a Sellita 200, but in reality they are chinese clones of the movements. I buy them for parts as a true SW200 is $250 and the Glycine watch hovers just over $400.

The chinese clone is around $30 and is absolutely identical, as if Sellita is outsourcing their low end production. (yes, they are) SeaGull is the factory producing them.

For spending two thousand dollars, there are really nice true Swiss options available.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34121 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Glycine is now owned by Invicta and the true Swiss movements they had in them are a thing of the past now.

That is disappointing to read, this will be the last Glycine I buy.

Invicta is to watches what Gurkha is to cigars.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Govberg is one impressive sight. Never heard of them before. My observation is these watches hold their value so well that just another few hundred to 1k you can get it brand new.

Posts: 7527 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post