SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ford Motor Co. logistics must be in the stone age... ** Update**
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford Motor Co. logistics must be in the stone age... ** Update** Login/Join 
Picture of DrDan
posted
So I custom ordered a new vehicle on April 13th of this year. The expected time for delivery was 8 weeks, and, as the dealer told me, the production schedule would be known in about 3 weeks. Just about exactly 3 weeks later, I am notified that production had begun, and the expected delivery date would be between June 2nd - 8th. On June 7th, the dealer told me to expect it on the 9th. So, as you must have guessed, I still don't have the truck. Why? No one seems to know, but the dealer inventory system showed my truck still sitting in a Norfolk & Southern rail yard in Kansas City as of last week. Today, it finally showed it had made its way to S. Indiana.

Now, tell me, why can Amazon tell you within a 4 hour window when the $3 dollar item you bought will be dropped at your door, and apparently Ford can't tell you when a $50,0000 vehicle will be delivered within a month? Absolutely the stupidest thing I have ever seen. Even small outfits have GPS monitored vehicles so they can tell you when the plumber will be at your house. Somebody at Ford seriously needs to pull their head out of their ass and figure out modern logistics. I don't actually care about the delay, per se, as I am not desperate for the vehicle, but the inability to plan is infuriating.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DrDan,

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4880 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Until people start saying “you can't tell me when delivery will be? I'm going next door and getting a....!” There is no reason for them to invest resources into changing the system.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3855 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
That stinks!

More importantly, what did you order?

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8346 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'm happy to hear you factory ordered, despite the delay. That is a joy every owner should know.

Mine was about six weeks. An even bigger surprise, I walked in with the build sheet but just got information, no commitment, no deposit. And the dealer owner ordered it anyway. Parked it in the basement so I would be the very first customer to sit in it. Hard to say "No" when you can smell the factory floor from ten feet away.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazing …. Lack of info on that one.

When we ordered a new BMW, they sent an email every time the vehicle shifted departments. I knew when it went from frame/engine construction to paint to interior, ect.

I was told when it was delivered to the port in Germany. And that the trans-Atlantic ship would be 10-12days in travel. I knew when it landed in South Carolina.

And I knew before the dealership that it had arrived. But that is another long story.

Hard to believe that Ford can't track a vehicle.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 864 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I would think that Ford doesn't own the rail lines, they are contracting with them, any location information would be from the rail company.

Having said that, they should be able to update clients on transportation of goods since that's what railways do, and knowing where you stuff is important to companies and customers.

Thought I read where CSX had some digital device that could update their systems on locations.

Posts: 23594 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All the rail systems can track an individual train car down in real time.

Got a friend who does logistics for wine/alcohol. He can watch it go anywhere.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 864 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
That stinks!

F-150 XLT, Super Crew. I had to special order it because I wanted the 6 1/2' bed, which is rarer than hen's teeth around here. I ordered the following packages:

- 301a - nicer than base XLT, but not top
- Max trailer tow package - rated for 13,200lbs added 3.5L ecoboost
- Max load package - gives the heavier 9.75" differential and 18" LT tires
- FX-4 package for skid plates, locking diff, etc.
- spray in bedliner
- trailer tow mirrors

Comfort wise, it will be a step up from my 2006 F-250 XL, and only a marginal drop in load carrying capability, and a step up in trailer tow capacity.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4880 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because your $50,000 truck is coming via a combination of truck and rail transport. I've shipped a few cars via truck and it can be an ordeal in and of itself. Dealing with the logistical systems of the factory, rail system, trucking company, and dealership is likely very complex.

And don't get me wrong, I'm sympathetic. I've ordered two new Tahoes via out of state dealers where I've had to put to with the delays you describe plus getting them shipped from the dealer to me. The part that was always the most aggravating to me was the scheduling from the factory.

Posts: 5169 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Sorry you are delayed, my friend.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12798 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
quote:
That stinks!

F-150 XLT, Super Crew. I had to special order it because I wanted the 6 1/2' bed, which is rarer than hen's teeth around here. I ordered the following packages:

- spray in bedliner
- trailer tow mirrors

Comfort wise, it will be a step up from my 2006 F-250 XL, and only a marginal drop in load carrying capability, and a step up in trailer tow capacity.

Ooooh... <applause>. I think I like that spec sheet.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2366 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it will be a sweet ride when you get it.

Other things to consider would be JIT (just outta time Wink ) supply chain management that is so prevalent in todays marketplace.

Amazon's $3 doodad doesn't have to go through a testing facility before Doodads-R-Us ships it.

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
That stinks!

- spray in bedliner
- trailer tow mirrors

Sounds pretty close to what I’d order, if I could make up my mind.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8346 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
That stinks!

- spray in bedliner
- trailer tow mirrors

I have the Lariet super crew with the twin turbo ecoboost and that thing has surprising hp compared to my 5.4 triton in my 2007 lariat. that truck is so smooth it's amazing and all the new features are super cool. it pulls my 16ft wells cargo full of cabinets like it's not even there. Back up cameras hooking up the trailer are sooo nice. I also have a 6.5 ft bed they make so many of them with the shorter one, I put a bedrug in mine just cant stand the spray in liners also ordered a leer 100xq cap for it.

Posts: 5607 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:

...I've ordered two new Tahoes via out of state dealers where I've had to put to with the delays you describe plus getting them shipped from the dealer to me...

That's something I would never do, unless I could pick up the car myself at the other dealership! I spent some time at a Mercedes dealership in Northern Illinois, and watched them do a dealer trade: One guy with a pickup loaded a C-Class onto ramps he'd installed in the pickup's bed, then hooked another M-B to the rear, using a two-wheel trailer. The worst part was that he put the rear wheels on the two-wheeler so the car would not record the mileage, and let the front end bounce down the road. No regard for what it would do to the front suspension, which I'd bet was most-likely permanently damaged from several hundred miles of Illinois' finest roads.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9186 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post