SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gender equality question
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gender equality question Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Just tell the waiter, "Please give it to my boss, at that table, over there." Point to a random table, and leave promptly.

Waiters will never fall for that, but nice try.

I really believe you'd try to point out the logical fallacies of the chicken's motivation for crossing the road.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Just tell the waiter, "Please give it to my boss, at that table, over there." Point to a random table, and leave promptly.
There's a way to make it work.

Choose your benefactor on your way in. Stop by his table, tell him that you're going to buy his dinner, and to be sure to identify himself when you are dealing with your check.

Then, when your waiter presents your check, wave to your benefactor to get his attention. When he waves back, tell the waiter to give the check to the man who is waving.

Leave promptly.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
I just don’t worry about shit like this. Does it really matter? I certainly wouldn’t stop going to a restaurant because they made a habit of handing the check to the “wrong” person. I find the less little bullshit like this I worry about the happier life seems to be.

THIS!!

------------------------------------
Good men must sometimes do bad things to bad people; to keep them from doing bad things to the innocent !!

Posts: 736 | Location: Tucson,Az | Registered: August 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Were you born without a sense of humor or did you have it removed?

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
There's a way to make it work.

Choose your benefactor on your way in. Stop by his table, tell him that you're going to buy his dinner, and to be sure to identify himself when you are dealing with your check.

Then, when your waiter presents your check, wave to your benefactor to get his attention. When he waves back, tell the waiter to give the check to the man who is waving.

Leave promptly.

Now you're talking.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
quote:
Were you born without a sense of humor or did you have it removed?

Even V-tail, whose post it was, was willing or maybe even happy, to continue to play around with it. You chose to be irritated. Why is that?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I've noticed that the more expensive the place, the more likely I am to get handed the bill.

This of course is hilarious because my wife makes roughly three times my salary.

Women sowed the fields of equality, society watered and fertilized. I for one think it's time to harvest. Oddly enough, I don't see very many protesting for equality of opportunity on a Bering Sea crab boat or a roofing crew.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
You chose to be irritated. Why is that?
How many times are you going to ask me this? I've already answered this question recently. It's because you have a maddening penchant for stating the obvious. If you ask me again, guess what? The answer will still be the same.

And I'm not irritated, and I didn't "choose" to react to your post in any particular way. I react as I react, and people who talk about "choosing" to react are phonies. Humans are just not built like that. You can tamp down your reaction, but you don't "choose" a reaction like this.

So, you're going to try to tell me you were just being funny? Man, that post of yours isn't even in the same galaxy as funny. I wouldn't have even considered it as an attempt at humor. I know funny. Funny is a friend of mine, and you, jhe, are not funny.

So, when I see a post like the one you put up, I just don't get it. Of course trying to give the check to another table wouldn't work, so what is the point of stating the obvious?

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter to me who the check is handed to. I imagine the waiter takes a read as to who is paying. If they guess wrong, they guess wrong.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:

I think you gave him very bad advice. How in the hell is he supposed to know it's you and your wife? It could be a female attorney taking out a new associate. Even if it is a married couple, how does he know who's paying?

If someone asks, motions, etc., give it to them. With no indication, place it on the table. There is no reason to risk alienating someone, and there is no reason for anyone to be offended by the check being placed on the table.

That's a good point. I remember lunches where our female boss would take us out. I don't remember how the check was handled, I was just sure not to look at the waiter's eye so that the check wasn't given to me.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:

Women sowed the fields of equality, society watered and fertilized. I for one think it's time to harvest. Oddly enough, I don't see very many protesting for equality of opportunity on a Bering Sea crab boat or a roofing crew.

I couldn't agree more. They're all feminists crying out for equality until the check comes or something dangerous needs done. Pretty narcissistic to want the power of men, the privilege of women, and the responsibility of neither.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post