SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    4 Americans kidnapped in Mexico - Matamoros area
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

4 Americans kidnapped in Mexico - Matamoros area Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
When I have rented a car near a US border, the agreement stated that the car was only to be driven in the USA. Most likely, this is because if there is any sort of problem, getting the vehicle towed back to the US would be problematical.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Again, words on paper won't stop someone from driving across the border.

It just means that if you do, they're in a better position to saddle you with extra fees, make you responsible for the international recovery/tow bill, or else write the car off as a loss and come after you for the replacement cost.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm sure we all feel better now that the cartel involved has sent an apology letter. Apparently the violent murderers and drug smugglers involved in the incident broke the violent murderous drug smuggling cartel's strict rules about respecting the lives and well-being of the innocent. Roll Eyes

(No, it's not from The Onion or The Babylon Bee.)

From https://apnews.com/article/mex...campaign=position_01

quote:
CIUDAD VICTORIA, Mexico (AP) — A letter claiming to be from the Mexican drug cartel blamed for abducting four Americans and killing two of them condemned the violence and said the gang turned over to authorities its own members who were responsible.

In a letter obtained by The Associated Press through a Tamaulipas state law enforcement source, the Scorpions faction of the Gulf cartel apologized to the residents of Matamoros where the Americans were kidnapped, the Mexican woman who died in the cartel shootout, and the four Americans and their families.

Drug cartels have been known to issue communiques to intimidate rivals and authorities, but also at times like these to do some public relations work to try to smooth over situations that could affect their business.

“We have decided to turn over those who were directly involved and responsible in the events, who at all times acted under their own decision-making and lack of discipline,” the letter reads, adding that those individuals had gone against the cartel’s rules, which include “respecting the life and well-being of the innocent.”

A photograph of five men face down on the pavement and bound accompanied the letter, which was shared with The Associated Press by the source on condition that they remain anonymous because they were not authorized to share the document.

State officials did not immediately publicly confirm having new suspects in custody.

A separate state security official said that five men had been found tied up inside one of the vehicles that authorities had been searching for, along with the letter. That official also spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak about the case.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Interesting strategic move.

This incident was bringing serious international attention to the cartel. Sacrificing 5 members claiming they "broke the rules" is likely nothing more than what it appears to be, smoke and mirrors.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are they inviting important American officials for a dinner?
This sort of apology shows you how little they understand American culture.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is like a scene out of a bad Spaghetti Western complete with dramatic music.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting for the Apology tour and appearance on The View. Guess the college kids from Brownsville can drive to Mexico for Spring Break. Nothing to see here folks, come on down. ...

Posts: 1452 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Fifty cent was on the View. He said that the panelists seemed afraid of him.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Are they inviting important American officials for a dinner?

Maybe they're hoping to score an invite from Biden for another "Beer Summit".

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I'm sure we all feel better now that the cartel involved has sent an apology letter. Apparently the violent murderers and drug smugglers involved in the incident broke the violent murderous drug smuggling cartel's strict rules about respecting the lives and well-being of the innocent. Roll Eyes

(No, it's not from The Onion or The Babylon Bee.)

From https://apnews.com/article/mex...campaign=position_01

quote:
CIUDAD VICTORIA, Mexico (AP) — A letter claiming to be from the Mexican drug cartel blamed for abducting four Americans and killing two of them condemned the violence and said the gang turned over to authorities its own members who were responsible.

In a letter obtained by The Associated Press through a Tamaulipas state law enforcement source, the Scorpions faction of the Gulf cartel apologized to the residents of Matamoros where the Americans were kidnapped, the Mexican woman who died in the cartel shootout, and the four Americans and their families.

Drug cartels have been known to issue communiques to intimidate rivals and authorities, but also at times like these to do some public relations work to try to smooth over situations that could affect their business.

“We have decided to turn over those who were directly involved and responsible in the events, who at all times acted under their own decision-making and lack of discipline,” the letter reads, adding that those individuals had gone against the cartel’s rules, which include “respecting the life and well-being of the innocent.”

A photograph of five men face down on the pavement and bound accompanied the letter, which was shared with The Associated Press by the source on condition that they remain anonymous because they were not authorized to share the document.

State officials did not immediately publicly confirm having new suspects in custody.

A separate state security official said that five men had been found tied up inside one of the vehicles that authorities had been searching for, along with the letter. That official also spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak about the case.

Actually, it sounds more sincere than any apology we get from American politicians ... but I still don't believe it.

Posts: 687 | Location: Rural W. MI | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I'm glad some of them made it back alive. Some interesting commentary in this thread. I was born and raised in El Paso, and now I live pretty close to the border again. I've never been over, and I won't. There's zero draw for me. None.

I've said it on this forum a few times, and since I've lately been accused on these very pages of being isolationist, it gives me a smile to again say I think we need to annex Mexico. I know, I know, we're the good guys and good guys don't do that. Whatever. I think we need to, and I think once the dust settles and there's mass graves filled with cartel body parts, we'll all be better off: The United States, and the Annexed Mexican Federal Territories. We would be bringing order to a lawless land full of people who really could actually use defending from tyranny, and in our own back yard, no less. Would make a hell of a lot more sense than sending billions of dollars in weapons to Ukraine and it would absolutely show China and Russia that we don't fuck around. Central American narco states would have to really think about whether they want to be next before they ship their cocaine and meth up through New New Mexico. Alas, pipe dreams.

"Is he being serious?" I don't know, but I think it's no more dangerous rhetoric than that driving our involvement in another European land war. Arguably a much safer bet. Imagine the opioid epidemic drawing to a rapid close, since the same government that would double the landmass of the country would also secure the ports against Chinese shipments of drugs. Maybe it's more trouble than it's worth, but see, that's where a wall and and a militarized border would solve problems cheaper. Also a pipe dream.

Posts: 17126 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I may be wrong, but I thought that most of the rental car companies, if not all of them, did not allow you to take the car across international borders. That would be in the rental contract you sign.

If they're going to Mexico for a tummy tuck, do you think they're really going to read the contract line by line?

Exactly. OKCGene is thinking like an intelligent rule-follower, not like the average Joe.

I'll take that as a compliment, lol.

Actually, the technology does exist to prevent a vehicle from driving. Just shut it off. It's the will to take on the $$$ cost as well as weather the storm of public outrage, but it's a decision for the actuarial guys and bean counters and such.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, were not going to annex Mexico. We need to do a lot to secure our mostly unsecured Border (a whole lot) but annexing Mexico, no thanks.

Posts: 1452 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sound strategic move. You don't want to piss off and poke the bear, but keep the temperature slightly below boiling. Otherwise the U.S. might have to do more than provide mere lip service and actually start stemming the northbound flow of drugs/aliens when you draw too much attention to yourself.

Clearly, the cartels have seen Sicario and Clear and Present Danger! Wink

Posts: 489 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
One of the survivors was just arrested in SC for taking one of her 6 kids back to fight another kid after she’d already been taken away from the fight by another family member. Then while at the fight ol “Tay” pulled out a gun. This all happened in February before her trip to Mexico but she was just arrested for it.

The kidnappers should have killed her too, now we have to deal with her. I’m sure her 6 kids are going to grow up to be fine, productive members of society.

https://www.wbtw.com/news/gran...in-myrtle-beach/amp/

quote:
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (WBTW) — One of the two Mexico kidnapping survivors was arrested Friday night in Myrtle Beach, according to online booking records.

Latavia Washington McGee, 34, was arrested and charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor, records show.

Washington McGee’s child, a minor, allegedly went to a location to fight another child on Feb. 17, according to an arrest warrant obtained by News13. The child was then removed from the location by another family member, before allegedly being taken back to the location by Washington McGee.

The warrant alleges that she knowingly took her child to the location of the fight. Police were able to view security video of the entire incident.

During the incident, she allegedly “pulled a pistol from her purse and started waving it around,” according to a police report obtained by News13.

Washington McGee was part of a group that traveled to Mexico in March for a cosmetic procedure, according to reports. Eric Williams also survived the kidnapping. Zindell Brown and Shaeed Woodard were both killed. All four are Lake City natives.

The group was found at a wooden shack and taken back to the United States, according to Mexican investigative documents viewed by the Associated Press.

Inside the shack, the documents said Washington McGee and Williams were blindfolded. Beside them were the bodies of Woodard and Brown, wrapped in blankets and plastic bags. When authorities arrived, Washington McGee and Williams shouted desperately to them in English.

A guard who tried to escape out a back door was quickly apprehended, the documents said. He was wearing a tactical vest, but there is no mention of him being armed.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ IM SHOCKED! ^^^

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
O
M
G!!! Eek

Another that I always thought was hilarious. My shocked face...

Just feral dregs of society. JSMH...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
The whole thing sounds like an episode of Justified where Boyd and company went to Mexico to pick up a load of heroin and smuggle it back themselves, with almost the same results as this situation.

Maybe they dug coal together....

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:

“A plague upon’t when thieves cannot be true one to another!” (Henry iV, Act II)

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post