SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A rough but, proud morning. Now an update from graduation.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A rough but, proud morning. Now an update from graduation. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
Sorry for the ranting of a proud dad who also misses his daughter.

There is nothing to be sorry about. You are goanna ride the roller coaster of emotions during her time in service. You have enough Vets and Friends here that are happy to listen and root you (and her) on.

I hope you get to travel down there for her graduation. Bring tissues.

Posts: 4763 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:...You have enough Vets and Friends here that are happy to listen and root you (and her) on.

I hope you get to travel down there for her graduation. Bring tissues.

You're "Family" now.

Waiting to hear about the graduation!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Are you going down for graduation? AF BMT puts on a good 3-4 day extravaganza. MUCH different than my USMC bootcamp graduation back in ‘81.

We went to my son’s graduation in 2014 (he got out of AF a few months ago after 10 years). Not sure if it is the same, but I have to say I was impressed and very glad we went to see it.

Oh yeah. We will be there!!!

Posts: 4137 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well here is Peanut doing her Airman’s Run and after mom tapped her out after her Coin Ceremony. Mom(and dad) were balling so….

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to everyone. Smile

6.4/93.6

“I regret that I am to now die in the belief, that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776, to acquire self-government and happiness to their country, is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be, that I live not to weep over it.”
— Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 47718 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's so fun and rewarding to see your children do well. 357fuzz, wife, and Peanut all need to pat themselves on the back. Job well done to all, especially to Peanut. CONGRATULATIONS!

Posts: 7687 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Based on the ribbons she’s wearing, she was a BMT Honor Grad too. Congrats to her, and her anxious parents. What’s the AFSC Qualification that she’s going to pursue ?

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2808 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. Honor grad. Very proud. Went in as an E3 since she has a 2 year degree. Missed her marksmanship badge by a little. She was kind of miffed by that. She is going into Security Forces. She moved into her new dorm already. 13 weeks of that Tech School. It was almost harder saying goodbye this time. Got to see her for about 8 hours on the 4th and the 5th then had to say goodbyes. At least she can have her phone every day after duty hours and on weekends. I felt bad for her because she got homesick again. Still tearing my heart out.

She was upset as well because she made a great friend (and wingman) in the flight next to her. They hit it off and spent as much time as they could together. Strange coincidence when we were in the stands waiting for the Airman’s Run my wife and I along w/ my son and his girlfriend were talking. The people in front of us overheard us. Turns out it was her bestie’s mom and dad!!! Anyway, bestie had to leave for Sheppard for her Tech School(large frame avionics) and she is Active while Peanut is doing Air Guard. We told her to try to get stationed at Offutt so she will be very close to us!!

Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Security Forces will be good; she’ll have many opportunities to get her Marksmanship Ribbon in it.

I was an SP (that’s what it was called when I was in it) for 9 & 1/2 years before getting promoted out of my slot (officer ranks have to be compatible on manning documents). Lots have changed in that career field since I was in it, but it was the best time I ever had. I too was Air Guard, so she’ll be busy. Good luck to her.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2808 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Security Forces will be good; she’ll have many opportunities to get her Marksmanship Ribbon in it.

I was an SP (that’s what it was called when I was in it) for 9 & 1/2 years before getting promoted out of my slot (officer ranks have to be compatible on manning documents). Lots have changed in that career field since I was in it, but it was the best time I ever had. I too was Air Guard, so she’ll be busy. Good luck to her.

Yep. Thank you. Told her to do it while she was young since it is more “infantry” type focused now. Rumor has it that transitioning back to more of an LE type role. Who knows. Military and LE where the rumors really fly, right?

Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Yup, I’ve heard that rumor too. LE and Security were separate AFSCs until mid-1980s and then they were merged into one with separate shreds. Now, separating again; everything that's old is new again. Someone at the Cop Shop HQ must need something for the Officer Performance Ratings (OPRs) !!!!

If she does take the LE route later, get with the K9 side too; doggies are lots of fun and have better opportunities with local PDs if she’s inclined towards it.

---------------------
LGBFJB

posted Hide Post
quote:
Yup, I’ve heard that rumor too. LE and Security were separate AFSCs until mid-1980s and then they were merged into one with separate shreds. Now, separating again; everything that's old is new again. Someone at the Cop Shop HQ must need something for the Officer Performance Ratings (OPRs) !!!!

If she does take the LE route later, get with the K9 side too; doggies are lots of fun and have better opportunities with local PDs if she’s inclined towards it.

Oh yeah. Her AAS is in Police Science and she is currently working as a Correctional Officer at one of larger local county jails. She wanted to do Boom Operator at first then was thinking Ground Crew Chief. Did some training time at the base before shipping out. Found out she did not like crew chief at all. Her recruiter and buddies got her into Security Forces and she felt at home. A lot of the people I work w/ and she works w/ are in her Guard unit. Quite a few of them are Security Forces.

Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Congrats to the new A1C!!!!

An 1980s USAF Security Police/LE (Security and LE were still separate when I got out in 1989) veteran here. If she can, go LE and definitely go K9. After 41 years of Military and Civilian Police, my time as a K9 Handler remains my most rewarding and fun memories.

Posts: 4064 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Congrats to all. She and you should be very proud. USAF 77-81.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10993 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Congrats and gratitude for her service

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8760 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!
(for all of you Cool)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
quote:

Yep. Thank you. Told her to do it while she was young since it is more “infantry” type focused now. Rumor has it that transitioning back to more of an LE type role. Who knows. Military and LE where the rumors really fly, right?

Congratulations again. The military is in a major transitional period right now and alot of things are happening (some good,some bad). Best advice I can give is for her to pay attention, take every school she can and do her best at whatever job assigned. Good Performance and a Good Attitude will go a long way.

Posts: 4763 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a shift commander at a SAC wing, 416sPS
K9 is the way to go.

Posts: 65 | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you to all. It means a lot. Not only because of my daughter but, the history of it. My dad graduated from Lackland, a great uncle may have. I don’t know for sure. He flew AF in Korea and in NE National Guard after. My wife has three uncles and a cousin that went through Lackland as well. Her maternal grandfather was Army Air Corps in WWII. Very much doubt if he went to what was there before Lackland because there were so many bases around for that one.