SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which Wiper Blade Do Y'all Like
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Wiper Blade Do Y'all Like Login/Join 
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
As best as my memory still works, I remember, back in the day, the late 60's and 70's, that I NEVER changed wipers, never noticed that they went bad.
Mind altering drugs, maybe, or just more durable blades back then.
I tend to look at blades now as snake oil. None seem to last long.
I remember that too!

Back in the early '90s, I was having trouble finding reasonably-priced wiper blades for my 280Z. I happened to be in Target one day and saw a pile of foreign car replacement blades for $1 each. On a whim, I bought them all. Sorting through them, I found a pair that fit the Z perfectly, worked perfectly, and were on the car when I sold it.

Over the years, I used them on an assortment of older cars. It seemed like I could always find a couple that would fit and work fine on any car I had. Alas, about a decade later, the pile was finally exhausted.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2160 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I buy moderately cheap blades, basically whenever Menards has a deal on name brands I'll buy an extra set. I use Clay Magic on my windshield a couple times a year and then use Rain X. That keeps it slick and the blades last longer w/out chattering.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Like armored said seemed like the factory blades hardly ever went bad and when they did you could buy both front blades for about four bucks and they would last a couple of years.

This thread got me curious and I started looking for replacements for my 2014 Nissan Rogue and it seems they are now two different lengths and about the cheapest I could find were $16.99 (drivers side) and $14.99 (passengers side) respectively. Hate to think of spending that kind-a bucks and they only last about a year or so.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Used to always buy the cheap Ancos or Tricos, and they worked well for a while, but I got tired of the inconvenience to going to the store to buy a new set periodically. My time is more important to me than a couple of dollars.

Tried the Rain-X Lattitude, and definitely got better longevity out of them, more than twice the Anco. What I hated was the clunky universal attachment clip they use. I hated staring at that really inelegant design.

Tried the Icons, and am quite pleased. The torsion bar design looks a little different, but the attachment point is clean and in Virginia they seem to last quite a while, even longer than the Lattitudes. Expensive, but I'll pay 2.5 times as much if they last at least twice as long, and they do.

I could see where any wiper struggles to last in environmental extremes, or perhaps when the wiper length is so long the torsion bar design struggles to apply enough down force at the tips, but at 22" they work just fine.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10359 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
...not sure I've ever actually benefited from the RainX of any version

I definitely have. There's a big difference when Rain-X is applied to the windshield.

It's nice to not have to use wipers during light rain and mist, since the water just immediately beads up and rolls off, like on a freshly waxed finish. Works especially well at highway speeds.

Makes the wipers more efficient in moderate and heavy rain too.

The Rain-X Latitude wipers themselves are independent of the Rain-X treatment, though. I like those because they last the longest of any wipers I've tried, and seem to provide the cleanest sweep.

quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Rain X washer fluid has silicone in it, which can interfere with the washer fluid sensor if your car has one.

Good to know. Another example of why simpler can be better. I don't need a sensor to tell me to add more washer fluid, so it's just another piece of unnecessary technology with the potential to break.

None of my prior cars have had that, but I need to check if my new Subaru has it.

Posts: 33040 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Starting today, March 15th, Costco has the hybrid Goodyear wipers for $3 off, limit 3, normal price $7.99. I have used them for years now. I wish they wouldn't limit them to 3. I'll buy 3, have my wife in line behind me with 3. This way at least 3 of our vehicles will be ready for new wipers when needed. Just replaced most of them so it's nice to have them in the garage.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4033 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Put Bosch Icons on my wife's Flex. Huge improvement & great in heavy rain.
They do hit the A-pillar when on high with the vehicle stationary.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15981 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Bosch Icon for me as well.

Posts: 1994 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Icon here also.

Posts: 5342 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
I've been pleased with Bosch Icons, Rain-X, and also Michelin Stealth.

As others have pointed out, Rain-X treatment of the windshield makes all the difference.

Michael

Posts: 1140 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I've chased decent blades for years and Bosch or Anco seem to be the best in aftermarket.

That said, they never work as well or last as long as OEM, at least the ones by Nissan, Merc, BMW or Porsche. Not sure what domestic manufacturers use but if you've got a Japanese or German car I'd recommend swallowing hard and trying another set of OEM. They may be 2-3X the cost, but if they last longer and work better out of the box I'll take it.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12672 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bosch Icons here too. They just last longer for me.

Just a reminder, as we head into winter, it's a good time to change them:

Bosch ICON ClearMax 365 Premium Beam Wiper Blade, 20 Inch, Part # 20A
Regular Price $26.99
Sale Price $16.99

https://shop.advanceautoparts....CL2*14997%7CL3*15566

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24583 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jQs3OI6Gvo

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8546 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Interesting video.
I will note that they tested a low-line Bosch. The Michelins tested last seem to be Bosch ICON clones. They are both pretty good.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24583 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
PIAA silicone. Lasts for years.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not that it matters but I have held a commercial drivers license since the late 80's, I spend a lot of time behind a windshield. I try to find Anco blades, if not, I buy the cheapest and replace as needed...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The OEM blades for my three Hyundai Sonatas have been excellent. I have them replaced at the dealership every two years.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9437 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Just watched an interesting You-Tube comparison of wiper blades. Ranging in price from around $8 thru $38. The over all winner at roughly $12 was the Bosch Clear Advantage Blades.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:
Just watched an interesting You-Tube comparison of wiper blades. Ranging in price from around $8 thru $38. The over all winner at roughly $12 was the Bosch Clear Advantage Blades.

Are you talking about those project farm videos? There’s no way he can test durability accurately, real world. And his motor oil videos are a joke, yet some people take them as gospel.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jQs3OI6Gvo

I was just looking for this to embed it. You beat me to the draw. I saw that on a Nissan Frontier forum.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3350 | Location: Grapevine TX/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post