SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Security screen window coverings: Are they worth the cost?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Security screen window coverings: Are they worth the cost? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
https://www.securityscreenmast...PEAAYASAAEgK9LvD_BwE

I am considering these for an upgrade to my home security. The demonstration was impressive and they are very handsome.

Would you buy them or buy a home with them installed? Are they worth the cost? Doing the whole house comes to about $17,000.

Hurricane proof, burglar proof, practically indestructible.

What says the hive mind?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My LGS friend installed screens on his business windows and loves them.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nevada does not get many hurricanes.???
If something gives you peace of mind it is worth the cost. I would buy high end guns with that kind of money. LOL

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Nothing a battery operated angle grinder can't cut through in 30 seconds.

Posts: 10953 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doing the whole house comes to about $17,000.

Hurricane proof, burglar proof, practically indestructible.

What says the hive mind?

Bruce

Hurricane proof? Regular windows are fine. Don't you have homeowner's insurance for hurricane damage? Anyway, in NV, it's a moot point, as said above.

Burglar proof and practically indestructible? Nothing is proof, if you have a professional trying to break in. And, the key word "practically" means it's not indestructible.

Save your money.

Q

Posts: 26405 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Hurricanes aren't a concern here. That's what the technology was originally developed for so the flying 2x4's are impressive.
Burglary and home invasion is a major concern, here.
Everyone has solar screens, here, and these look the same, until you try to get in.

I like the stealthiness of it. Burglar bars without the "I am in jail" look. Anything short of a cutting wheel or an acetaline torch will have a hard time.

What do you have to protect your windows from break in? Security film? Bars? Nothing?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
RN, I’m seeing a pattern here with you. Maybe you need a setup like Will Smith in “I Am Legend”
Build a lab. Case of grenades. Armored shutters. Bleach your pathway to and from the front door. Big Grin

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
What do you have to protect your windows from break in? Security film? Bars? Nothing?

Alarm, and one of these.

Q

Posts: 26405 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
My company sells a few of these hurricane screens here in this part of the country. Extra security layer.

Posts: 7527 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
RN, I’m seeing a pattern here with you. Maybe you need a setup like Will Smith in “I Am Legend”
Build a lab. Case of grenades. Armored shutters. Bleach your pathway to and from the front door. Big Grin

I am a worrier, this week Smile

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

posted Hide Post
For that kind of money, you could almost replace all the windows with commercial grade aluminum windows with laminated glass. Even the lightest laminated glass would have to be chopped through with a hatchet.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My neighbor has them and they make his house very dark inside as they block a lot of light.

You want better security, get PGT impact windows and upgrade the glass thickness to whatever thickness you want. The windows block a lot of heat, are impact resistant, much better against getting open, and much quieter. Even if someone shoots the glass, they’re still not getting through the heavy duty clear 1/16” thick plastic in between the glass. 5/16” glass is standard, I upgraded to 7/16 for not much more, but you can go as thick as 1 1/4” and they’re not much more than the crappy screens. Casement style also has a very strong latching system.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
The screens I was looking at do not make the room dark. It's weird, how they are opaque from outside and almost clear, from inside. Almost a one way glass effect.
The PGT impact windows sound interesting. My windows are already 20 years old so replacement was a thought.
Any recommendations for where to price them?

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

posted Hide Post
A PGT dealer. I’ll give you approximates on what I paid. Normal say 36”x 48” casement window 7/16” glass was $700 installed. 5’x10’ 3 panel opening $2400, 3’x 10’ 3 panel opening $1200 installed. The windows are awesome, you can have someone with a weed eater at full tilt 10’ from the window and it sounds like it’s 300’ away it’s so quiet.

Single hung windows are about 1/2 the price of casement, horizontal roller 75% of casements, but casements have the best latching mechanisms and are the quietest.

Trust me, screens will darken the rooms, that is how they get their UV diminishing claims. They must as the screen blocks some light, clear or not.

Go on YouTube or google and search for impact window breakage tests, videos, they’re very impressive.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
No PGT dealers within 100 miles. I will have to call them and see if it's even an option.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The videos for these types of things are always impressive. They're selling you something. Remember the MasterLock commercials where a bullet is shot through the lock and the lock stays locked? It takes 5 seconds to cut through the shackle.

If I had $17,000 burning a hole in my pocket and I wanted to upgrade the security at my home:

1. Alarm system w/cellular monitoring and a loud siren.
2. Good locks like Hercular Mul-T-Lock with captive keys.
3. Camera system.
4. Exterior lights left on all night.
5. Locks on the garage doors.
6. A large dog or two.
7. Windows with impact glass.

Posts: 10953 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
They will darken inside.
This will lower your mood when inside.
They will negatively impact the health of houseplants inside.
If they are dark enough to have the "one way glass" effect then you will have bird strikes and bird deaths.

Don't have to ask me how I know these things...

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5646 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have had the solar screens as they were on the house when we bought it. Two things I really dislike would be true with the security screens as well.
1. They hold a lot of dust\dirt and are a PITA when you want to wash the windows. Have to be washed adding to a chore that I already hate.
2. They are harder to see out of,especially at night.

After 9 years the last time the wife wanted to wash windows I refused to reinstall them. She's on her own if she wants them back up.
Did I mention that they are a PITA?

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post