SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need a new EDC folding knife. Update page 3.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a new EDC folding knife. Update page 3. Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Kershaw sells some with a glass breaker tip.

I really like the Benchmade Bugout for daily carry.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
I have a few 3-4" folders and settled on an assisted SOG that is very very lightweight. Because it is light, I couldn't feel when it was there or gone.

It took my losing it and then finding it to realize that I needed a little shorter folded length to be able to carry it with fair confidence that it wouldn't get squirted out when I bent down or contorted myself into a vehicle with the seat too far forward or whatever.
I finally settled on a 2.75" bladed Kershaw Cryo assisted, liner lock and have been happy ever since. Not too expensive to lose, but I've never lost it thus far (knock wood).

I have the Keyshawn Cryo as well. I abuse it on a daily basis and when I lost the previous one I went right back out and replaced it because it’s a whole lot of knife for the money.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
For just over $50, you can't go wrong with a Leek in my mind the absolute best value knife (although they used to cost $35-40). Great little knife, if you lose it you aren't left crying. My favorite feature is it's small, super slim, and super light.
This is my EDC as well. Kershawguy.com sometimes have factory seconds for less and I’ll buy one so I won’t worry about losing it.

Our local Academy stores typically have a small selection of them.
Scallion is almost always sold out, but usually can find a Leek or Chive, along with a few of the others.
Coworker has one of the larger models, still with the assisted opener. I forget the model on that one.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15302 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
Will do. I have a Benchmade fixed blade.

quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Take a look at some Benchmade.

Great knives, awful company. Thanks for starting this. I need a new EDC.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
A lot of good choices Here.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a mini Griptillian fot years. I loved it. What I liked the most was their Axis locking system. Very easy to open and close with one hand.

Then I lost it. I knew about their shenanigans as a company. So I tried hard to find a replacement that I could open and close as easily with one hand. But I couldnt find anything short of a full auto. Anyway, I ended up with another mini Griptillian.

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I am a Leek fan and also buy seconds from kershawguy.com.

I will warn though that the Leek has an extremely skinny tip so if you are rough on knives or like one you can pry with, it's probably not the right choice.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been carrying a Gerber Air Ranger for almost 20 years. It’s thin, with a nice clip. You can get serrated or straight blade. It’s about $50

https://www.gerbergear.com/en-...anger-serrated-45860

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dbgeek,

Peter

Posts: 94 | Location: Chesapeake, VA | Registered: September 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one of these about a year ago. I have more expensive knives but this one gets carried more than the others. It is also only $61.00 and they make them in serrated blades also. D2 steel which sharpens really good and holds a nice edge. The flipper is as smooth as butter. Handles are G10. And look at that glass breaker. Free shipping

https://www.bladehq.com/item--...t-Liner-Lock--156973

Posts: 12672 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Despite the misstep their leadership took with the gun fiasco I really like Benchmade knives. I have had this one for probably ten years and it would fit the OP’s requirements including the glass breaker. They have many variations of the same thing from different blade types to standard and automatic.

https://www.knifecenter.com/it...e-9170BK-Auto-Triage

Posts: 3914 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
For commonly known and reasonably affordable brands you can't go wrong with Spyderco. I wasn't crazy about Benchmade even before their SNAFU. The edges are a bit thick for my liking.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have carried a Spyderco endura 4 with a regular blade for years after Benchmade went woke.

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderc...inedge/dp/B002J1W6G4

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
Spyderco knives are my go to as well. I've also been happy with my Kershaw knives. There are so many good options out there amongst many brands.

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like flippers. Probably began liking them when I figured out the arthritis in my hands prevented me from flipping the knives open with my thumb.

But a flipper works for me in that it opens reliably and opens fast.

I like the ZTs, and currently carry either a 0452 (one biiiig flipper with a +4 inch blade) or a 0393 modified with Carbon Fiber scales, taco bearings and a few other goodies I got from a doctor who was quite reasonable. It is big enough to do anything the 452 can do and I find myself carrying it most of the time.

In the Spyderco line, I have an Amalgam which, too, is a flipper and deploys nearly as fast as the ZTs. It has a robust blade and, though I have not used it for any rough work, I believe it will stand up to most anything I may give it.

Good luck with your search.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s hard to go wrong with a Spyderco PM2 or 3, I carry an Emerson CQC7 but usually have one of the Spydercos in my other pocket

Posts: 454 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You want a sturdy folder? Anything with the Andrew Demko Triad Lock.

Believe it or not, after years of laughing at Cold Steel products, I'm recommending a Cold Steel folder- the American Lawman.

Explanation of the Triad lock, which is incorporated in the American Lawman.

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Nice timing for this thread. I’m carrying a Cold Steel Code 4 Max at work and the thing is too fucking huge. I have a couple Kershaws that I like and looking at the Cryo since it has come up a couple times here. Looks like only about $40-45 on Amazon and supposedly American made, looks like a nice handy knife.

That CS LM looks really nice, Para, and almost exactly how I like my knives. I guess I am more of a fan of tip down, when I take it out of my pocket I feel more natural deploying a tip down. My CS C4M is my first tip up and it’s a little awkward deploying it, but maybe because I’m not used to it.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2444 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I have a Leek that I was prepared to not think too much of and it has turned out to be the knife I carry the most. I have beat the hell out of it and it has really held up.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSauerP226:
Nice timing for this thread. I’m carrying a Cold Steel Code 4 Max at work and the thing is too fucking huge.
This another knife with the Triad lock. If you want a smaller version of your 4Max, look at Cold Steel's AD-10. It's still a very large folder (definitely not a knife for pocket carry), but it's more practical than the 4Max.This also incorporates the Triad. I am of the opinion- and I am far from alone- that the AD-10 is the best folder CS has ever made.

How strong is the Triad lock? You can find videos of bushcrafters batoning AD-10s. Would you ever think a folder could stand up to that? Virtually none would, but the AD-10 (and the 4Max) can be batoned.

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
You want a sturdy folder? Anything with the Andrew Demko Triad Lock. …
This may sound strange but I think I know that guy. His dad was my aikido sensei. Andrew is one heck of a strong fighter. They’re good folks.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post