SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need a new EDC folding knife. Update page 3.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a new EDC folding knife. Update page 3. Login/Join 
Picture of Ironmike57
posted
I had this knife for 7 or 8 years. I lost it today. Put it in my pocket and it never came home.
Can someone suggest a replacement that is sturdy? I really like the glass break tip. BTW, I paid roughly 250.00 for it back in the day.

https://www.adorama.com/bh15m411bk.html

Thanks,
Mike

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ironmike57,

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do you use if for?

I have settled on Spyderco for my daily carry. Good value and you can find models not made in China. I think I have between 7 and 10 of them in all different sizes and shapes.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Before I suggest anything, I have to ask: Did you ever use the glass break tip? Or did you just like having the capability?

Fwiw, I am a Spyderco fan.

Posts: 17098 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I can't help you on a direct replacement, but I'm a Spyderco fan boy. Their offerings cover just about anything you would want in a knife. It's quite expansive. Delica is my EDC, and I have one in my Truck. My wife keeps a Ladybug in her purse.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Completely depends on what you're comfortable paying today. As a ballpark; <$250 - something in the ZT line; >$250 - Hinderer.

Posts: 635 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
No, I haven't. I like the idea. Not a deal breaker, though.

quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Before I suggest anything, I have to ask: Did you ever use the glass break tip? Or did you just like having the capability?

Fwiw, I am a Spyderco fan.

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I'll take a look at Spyderco. I don't mind paying for quality.

I just started searching and I ran across this. Does anyone have experience with Hogue knives?

https://www.hogueinc.com/knive...us-black-g10-inserts

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
For just over $50, you can't go wrong with a Leek in my mind the absolute best value knife (although they used to cost $35-40). Great little knife, if you lose it you aren't left crying. My favorite feature is it's small, super slim, and super light.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20802 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Take a look at some Benchmade.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Will do. I have a Benchmade fixed blade.

quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Take a look at some Benchmade.

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I would suggest in that budget a ZT Hinderer. Spyderco Paramilitary would also be a good choice

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I have a few 3-4" folders and settled on an assisted SOG that is very very lightweight. Because it is light, I couldn't feel when it was there or gone.

It took my losing it and then finding it to realize that I needed a little shorter folded length to be able to carry it with fair confidence that it wouldn't get squirted out when I bent down or contorted myself into a vehicle with the seat too far forward or whatever.
I finally settled on a 2.75" bladed Kershaw Cryo assisted, liner lock and have been happy ever since. Not too expensive to lose, but I've never lost it thus far (knock wood).

Posts: 7247 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
For just over $50, you can't go wrong with a Leek in my mind the absolute best value knife (although they used to cost $35-40). Great little knife, if you lose it you aren't left crying. My favorite feature is it's small, super slim, and super light.

Scallion is my EDC, Chive when I want something smaller/lighter.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15236 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
If you like that design you'll like the Microtech SOCOM, complete with glass breaker.

https://www.knifecenter.com/it...ack-aluminum-handles

Posts: 1058 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The knife market is so saturated with choices, even more than the gun market.
Since the choice is so subjective, I would recommend doing a search for the features, size and price you want and when you narrow the field show us a list of your final candidates.

Posts: 9488 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
This is my EDC as well. Kershawguy.com sometimes have factory seconds for less and I’ll buy one so I won’t worry about losing it.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
The knife market is so saturated with choices, even more than the gun market.
Since the choice is so subjective, I would recommend doing a search for the features, size and price you want and when you narrow the field show us a list of your final candidates.

This is your best bet. You're also going to get recommendations for a dozen different brands well before this thing hits two pages. For instance, you're getting recommendations for Kershaw knives. If you say "premium bladesteels," that knocks them out of the running. If you say "not a company chops up guns seized by a local police department," that knocks Benchmade out of the running.

Posts: 17098 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
If you like that design you'll like the Microtech SOCOM, complete with glass breaker.

https://www.knifecenter.com/it...ack-aluminum-handles

Good luck finding one, especially an auto!

Been looking for one for a looong time. They disappear as soon as they finish a run.

Posts: 5127 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Several years ago, I dumped my Benchmade Griptilian knife and bought a Spyderco Para 3 to replace it for EDC. No regrets, it is a superb folder.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16652 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
You can’t go wrong with CRKT knives- functional and won’t break the bank. I’m fond of my CRKT M16-03Z. It’s a fine working knife and with a 3.5” blade, a good SD knife to boot. It’s taken a beating, but keeps going.

https://www.crkt.com/m16-03z-spear-point.html

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15545 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post