SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where would I find decent block and tackle ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where would I find decent block and tackle ? Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Get a More Power Puller.

https://www.wyeth-scott.com

Oooooo

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27022 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I have a comealong. The thing is I want to be well out of the way when it snaps or falls.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I have a comealong. The thing is I want to be well out of the way when it snaps or falls.

Attach your pulling device to the rope that you have attached to the tree.

The safest way to pull a leaning tree is to have two ropes attached at a point about 2/3 of the height of the tree. One rope is for pulling and the other rope is adjusted during the pull to keep the tree from falling back if the pulling device slips or fails.

Posts: 3233 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a chain hoist, but that Power Puller looks like something I may need to add to the garage. No particular use in mind right now, but that's a man's tool. Dang! Once again, Sigforum costs me money. Smile

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, you do have to stand next to the tree to cut it down...right? The idea is to have the come a long and rope/cable all hooked up and ready to go before anything else.

I do understand your concern. What I do is to take some time and make sure there is NOTHING around the tree that might inhibit my escape route as the tree starts to fall. I also study the tree itself and make sure it is a reasonably healthy tree with no rot or dead branches near the top. Those are things that can kill you.

Finally, if I don't like the looks of anything...I leave it alone.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5054 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
Get a More Power Puller.

https://www.wyeth-scott.com

Oooooo

Yeah, that's the sort of tool that makes you think, "I want one!" I'm pretty sure that's the one I've been looking at now and then for quite some time. I've wanted a good come-along just to have; no specific use or I'd have gotten it by now.

Posts: 2695 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Years ago I sat on back steps watching some guys taking down a huge oak tree. I mean huge as two men could not reach around this monster. They tied a long rope up high in the tree and to a pickup about 100 feet away. When the tree fell it hit the house next door causing considerable damage.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:

Unless you buy a thousand feet of rope, how is a block and tackle going to allow you more safe distance? You can attach your comealong to another rope or chain just as you would the B&T.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Unless you buy a thousand feet of rope, how is a block and tackle going to allow you more safe distance? You can attach your comealong to another rope or chain just as you would the B&T.

Because it can be pulled at a right angle.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“Where would I find decent block and tackle?”

There’s probably a set in the pile in my barn. Best of luck finding it though.

Posts: 26948 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

As can your comealong with a pulley.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Now consider what might happen if, as you're pulling at a right angle, the tree chooses to come down?

Other than the fence and other nearby trees, is there anything else for these trees to land on? Do you have a clear escape route in all directions in which you might need to escape, at right angles, regardless of which way these trees fall--and the presence of mind to run in the right direction? Have you ever felled an entire big tree in one go before?

If the answers to any of these is "no," perhaps you should leave this to pros?

Standing wood can be highly unpredictable when cut.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post