SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where would I find decent block and tackle ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where would I find decent block and tackle ? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
All the ones I see on Amazon are quite skimpy with cheap rope.

I have 4 tall dead birch trees leaning over my fence. I'd like to pull them down toward the big cottonwood tree that sits about 20 yards the other direction. I figure a decent block and tackle setup would let me do it and be plenty far away.

Anyone know where I can find a set or at least good pulleys to add rope to? I'd rather not spend a few hundred.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Grainger or some local industrial supply.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Flea Market, or as JHE points out, Grainger.

There are some good old school ones available on eBay.

It's a pity you aren't closer. I have three good ones in my garage!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
wish you were close.
I use 1/4 inch cable ,cable snatch block and chain for distant tree.
Also two come alongs one cabled and one belted.
Prefer the belted one like the power company uses.This one goes about twenty five feet.
Usually this is enough tension,rarely do I have to do a second cable snatch block hookup.
I get high in the tree by tossing a small line high and belay the cable up in the tree to be cut.

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Get a More Power Puller.

https://www.wyeth-scott.com

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3 wheel ? 4 ? 5 ?
do you need rope as well?

1 ton ? 2 ton ? 3 ton ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54705 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Get a More Power Puller.

This is what I use to pull big, leaning, trees. We used to use a block and tackle but this is much stronger and easier. I have the one with the synthetic, blue line.

Posts: 3233 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
quote:
Get a More Power Puller.

This is what I use to pull big, leaning, trees. We used to use a block and tackle but this is much stronger and easier. I have the one with the synthetic, blue line.

+1 I never cut a tree and hope it falls in the right spot. I use one of those to encourage a tree with force to fall where I want it. It’s a well made product.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I can tell you for sure you won't find it wearing a Cleveland Browns uni...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My dad hooks a rope as high as you can get it,
Attaches the rope to a come-a-long and winches them as tight as possible in the direction he wants it to go.
He also hooks a milk rate full of rocks on the rope to keep the pressure as soon as the tree begins to fall and the rope begins slacking off...

It's totally redneck but it works

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11304 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Top Quality and stainless steel, a good marine store. West Marine can order them to your local store if they don't already have them. They're not going to be cheap, but they will be quality.

www.westmarine.com

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
quote:
Get a More Power Puller.

I bought one years ago....they make the $40 come alongs look like toys....

I have a couple 1 and 2 ton models with shackles.......they are good ones, too bad your not closer. I closed my warehouse recently and you would be amazed at what I found. I had 5 capstans just sitting around as well.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Attaches the rope to a come-a-long and winches them as tight as possible in the direction he wants it to go.
He also hooks a milk rate full of rocks on the rope to keep the pressure as soon as the tree begins to fall and the rope begins slacking off...

I think that we may be related.

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Try this place:https://www.kittstools.com/

Eight Mile and Grand River in Farmington Hills.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8139 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

Well then, he is not alone. Smile I have doing exactly that (minus the milk crate) for years and it works very well. My come a long is certainly nothing fancy either.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5053 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

If you are lifting straight up, I much prefer a hand chain hoist. It gives you much more advantage, and it is a block and tackle device. I have this Coffing LHH (Columbus McKinnon) 1/2 ton hoist hung in the garage where the tailgate of my truck parks itself. I can no longer lift heavier things in or out of the bed, so I let this do the work for me. It is portable and can be hooked up anywhere, but for my purposes it stays where it is. I can back up under it when needed.

Posts: 10793 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^

What kind of reinforcement did you add to the rafters/trusses to support the weight of what you are lifting?

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
What kind of reinforcement did you add to the rafters/trusses to support the weight of what you are lifting?

I just installed a large 6" eye bolt (1/2" drilled hole) that goes through the bottom truss the long way, together with a stack of progressively larger washers to spread the load out. And I reinforced around that hole with 2ft sister 2x4's screwed to each side of the truss. Most of what I lift is in the 50-200 lb range. So far it works well. I have not tried 1/2 ton with it, and never would. I prefer to use any lifting device like that at no more than 75% of its rated capacity. I doubt I would ever need more than 200# lifted. I have a 3 ton trolley hoist on a 9ft I-beam elsewhere in the garage, for pulling engines and things like that. The beam is mounted on 1/4"x4"x4" posts, welded to a 1"x12"x12" floor plate secured to the slab. The beam is secured against tipping by 1/4"x1.5"x4ft" straps that are perpendicular to the beam, welded to it and lag screwed into trusses above it.

Posts: 10793 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
harbor frieght

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If survival/prepper use is a consideration, the power puller is attractive. We are blessed with the abundance of new cordless tools available today. I have a couple old tall trees out back that might need some work, but have not bought anything yet.

WARN 885005 PullzAll 24V Cordless Electric Pulling Tool

Superwinch 1140222 Winch 2 Go 12V 4000 Portable Winch System (4000lb with Wire Rope, Pulley Block, Gloves, Straps and D-Shackles)

Posts: 428 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post