SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pellet smoker/grill recommendations? Update page 3. Delivered and set up.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pellet smoker/grill recommendations? Update page 3. Delivered and set up. Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
I know this has been asked before, but last thread was a while ago. I'm looking for something to get me started at my house in Florida. I'm there part time and currently have no grill.

Here in Massachusetts I do all wood on my Lone Star Grillz. I won't have easy access to wood and don't plan on bringing this to Florida. So I want to buy something versatile to have down there for bbq and grilling.

What brands do you guys have and love? I'd probably want to spend a max of $1500.

FWIW I will eventually have a summer kitchen with gas grill. The pellet smoker will then be mostly for when I want to bbq.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: frayedends,

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I bought a Pit Boss last month…it’s been great so far!

Posts: 1634 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've had a Rectec for a few years now and no no complaints at all. Pretty good smoke flavor for a pellet pooper, easy to clean, and holds temps great.

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a MasterBuilt gravity feed charcoal grill, I know it’s not a pellet grill like you asked about, but it does an amazing job of smoking, grilling, slow cooking, etc. We’ve done everything from an 18 pound turkey to brisket, ribs, salmon and steaks. I’m by no means technical but I like the Wi-Fi feature of being able to control temp by my phone, can run out for a few hours and check, adjust temp etc . It’s almost cheating with it being so easy.

Posts: 505 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recteq Bulleye is a simple easy pellet grill. It will smoke a brisket, bake a pizza and seer a steak all for about $500.

Posts: 5464 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Rectec! Mine has been great!

Posts: 2057 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big RecTeq fan here!

Posts: 1730 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I'm taking a look at these brands. If you guys have a certain model and can provide details that would be great.

Things that are important to me...

Easy ash cleanout.

Even temperature throughout.

Possibile to grill and sear steaks/burgers.

Decent sized hopper that keeps the pellets dry (I'm guessing I'll need a good cover in any case).

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I know this has been asked before, but last thread was a while ago.

Here's one from barely a month ago: https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/1670005905/p/1

This is also a good recent thread with tips for using a pellet smoker: https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/2560004905/p/1

quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Things that are important to me...

Easy ash cleanout.

Ash isn't really as much of a thing with pellet smokers. The pellets are nearly fully consumed in the firebox, and much of the small amount of remaining ash is cleared out by the fans during the shutdown process. It's not like a charcoal grill/smoker, where you have to clean a thick layer of accumulated ash out of the bottom regularly. The only cleaning needed is to occasionally clean out the grease/drippings from the bottom, and you only rarely might need to use a shop vac to clear the firebox of residual ash buildup after a great many hours of use.

quote:
Decent sized hopper that keeps the pellets dry (I'm guessing I'll need a good cover in any case)

Even with a cover, your pellets will absorb moisture from the atmosphere (humidity). I personally don't store any pellets in my hopper, instead storing them in sealed plastic containers. My smoker has a small door at the base of the hopper that allows me to drain the pellets fairly quickly.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 33034 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phred:
I bought a Pit Boss last month…it’s been great so far!

I did same, their Portable Table Top model. Amazon had it on prime day for $176 a few weeks back.
Clean up is as easy. I do use a shop vac to get the pellet ash residue out from under the drip pans. Takes 2 minutes.
No regrets after using it 5 times.
Billy

Posts: 282 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
RecTeq all the way. Especially in Florida. Mine is almost entirely stainless steel and has help up incredibly well. Cooks great. Beats my traegar hands down, no comparison.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4320 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
In regards to clean out and pellet, I guess then I'm looking for one that I can empty the hopper to store the pellets when not in use.

In regards to ash cleanout, I saw many of the expensive models have an ash pan and grease pan on the bottom, while others needed to have the grates removed and vacuum.

quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
RecTeq all the way. Especially in Florida. Mine is almost entirely stainless steel and has help up incredibly well. Cooks great. Beats my traegar hands down, no comparison.

What model do you have?

These go to eleven.

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I have the 590.

Hopper clean out is not easy as the hopper is huge. That said, I never clean out the hopper and I have no issues. Serious monsoon storms and it still keeps everything dry.

I don’t know how the excessive humidity would effect it though.

quote:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4320 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
When I recently ushered my Traeger into its ancient Chinese hunting grounds and moved on towards a better grilling experience I was just about to pull the trigger on a Blaz’n Grill Works pellet grill. Ended up getting a really good price, and local service, on a Yoder 640s Competition and never looked back.

However, I like the Blaz’n Grill Works even though it’s above your price point.

The Yoder and BGW are both stupid easy with ash clean out.

I would also look at Weber.

Here’s a list of USA grills.

My advice. Pay more. Get more. Buy USA.

https://www.allamericanmade.co...-grills-made-in-usa/

https://thegrillingdad.com/gri...are-made-in-the-usa/

0:01

Posts: 4279 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Okay, currently leaning toward the RecTeq Flagship 1100.

Big hopper, no easy way to empty hopper and no ash cleanout. But I will be storing this in the garage when I'm not in Florida cooking.

It's between this and the Camp Chef Woodwind Pro, which seems really nice, but none of you mentioned it and lots of votes for the Recteq.

These go to eleven.

Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
RecTec has been good for past 4 years. Also good customer service when you call.

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 358 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Recteq all day long. Camp Chef is good, but it ain’t a recteq.

Also, I have the 590 and it’s usually two to four of us eating. It’s plenty large. The 1100 is great, and huge.

Do you really want one that can smoke three to four briskets?

quote:
The “lol” thread

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Recteq all day long. Camp Chef is good, but it ain’t a recteq.

Also, I have the 590 and it’s usually two to four of us eating. It’s plenty large. The 1100 is great, and huge.

Do you really want one that can smoke three to four briskets?

Hmm maybe I should downsize.

These go to eleven.

silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Another Recteq 590 owner here, has been flawless for the 3 years I’ve owned it. I added the competition cart, folding stainless steel shelf and cover. It’s got plenty of room for everything I need, easily holds 3 racks of ribs or 2 10 lb pork shoulders, or 2 large salmon filets. I also bought a cheap shop vac that I use exclusivly to clean out the ash.

Posts: 2351 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by birddog1:
2 large salmon filets. I also bought a cheap shop vac that I use exclusivly to clean out the ash.

Holy shit, how big are those f’ing salmon!?!?!

I use my shop vac as well. Works like a champ.

quote:
The “lol” thread