SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pellet smoker/grill recommendations? Update page 3. Delivered and set up.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pellet smoker/grill recommendations? Update page 3. Delivered and set up. Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Congrats, presume you'll have it shipped direct to FL, if you need I can run up and test smoke a few boston butts for you Razz just to be sure it works...

LOL, yes shipping to Florida. That was what actually saved me $100. I emailed them about shipping time and they told me 2 days ago that it could arrive before the 31st if I ordered then.

I was debating even trying to get it shipped now since I'll only be in Florida for a week starting the 31st. Well, the sale pushed me to buy and they said it will likely arrive on the 31st or shortly after. It's going freight so I should have some opportunity to call the freight company if delivery day is an issue.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Pick up some thick cut bacon, set the smoker to 250 and wait. I cook bacon on my 590 like Beancooker does and it's the best way to cook it. It won't be crispy but it will be good.
It might get crispy with higher heat but I've never tried.

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
Pick up some thick cut bacon, set the smoker to 250 and wait. I cook bacon on my 590 like Beancooker does and it's the best way to cook it. It won't be crispy but it will be good.
It might get crispy with higher heat but I've never tried.

When you say "pick up some thick cut bacon" you mean out of my freezer, the stuff I cured and smoked myself, right? Big Grin

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had great luck with the Weber Spirit series for grilling. It heats up fast and is super reliable. I also tried a Traeger pellet grill recently and loved it for its versatility—grilling, smoking, and even baking. Both should fit your budget and work well until you get your summer kitchen set up.

in the 'Merica Navy they teach you to go pew pew pew...
Luckily in the PNW they taught me to go BANG BANG BANG

Posts: 99 | Registered: November 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mac_220:
I’ve had great luck with the Weber Spirit series for grilling. It heats up fast and is super reliable. I also tried a Traeger pellet grill recently and loved it for its versatility—grilling, smoking, and even baking. Both should fit your budget and work well until you get your summer kitchen set up.

I'm hoping I have no need for the gas grill until I'm down there full time. Even the Spirit series are overpriced these days. I'd go with a Napoleon (which is what I have at home that I'm happy with). The Recteq will be delivered Friday and I get in Friday evening. Hopefully no package thieves are running around and if they are, not ready for a 200 lb box.

These go to eleven.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Got the Recteq delivered and set up. Did the initial burn in and I'm ready to cook. I will try to cook on it in the next few days. We have guests for a few days so we are going out to eat for now. But Wednesday I'm hoping to try ribs for the first cook on it.

These go to eleven.

posted Hide Post
Good choice. I have the smaller bullseye. Dont trust the built in temp gauge until you confirm it with a stand alone. I had to adjust my auger feed rate to get the temps right.

You cant go wrong with a pork butt for your first cook as they are very forgiving. Remember to cook to temp and not time.

Posts: 5464 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
If you run a higher temp like you would for chicken, drop the temp to 250 or so and wait for it to come down before you shut it down. I learned that when I first got my 590, it helps prevent backburn through the auger to the hopper. Also when you drop the temp if the fan starts cycling and woofing it's normal.

If you don't know, you want the lid open until the firebox is well lit, the smoke can be explosive.

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post