SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pellet smoker/grill recommendations? Update page 3. Delivered and set up.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pellet smoker/grill recommendations? Update page 3. Delivered and set up. Login/Join 
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
quote:
Originally posted by birddog1:
2 large salmon filets. I also bought a cheap shop vac that I use exclusivly to clean out the ash.

Holy shit, how big are those f’ing salmon!?!?!

I use my shop vac as well. Works like a champ.

Ha, as big as we can find for my in-laws. So much room in there I could probably fit quite a few

Posts: 2352 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We’ve had “the bull” (1100) for a few years and could not be happier. It does a great job with good pellets and the wifi unit is awesome. Temp probes are good/accurate (within a couple of degrees of our ThermaPen) and the temp control holds well.

As you noted, big pellet hopper so no worries about running dry in the middle of a cook when smoking meat while you sleep; definitely makes life easier when wanting pulled pork for an early afternoon feast.

I highly recommend RecTec smokers…Semper Fi

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 823 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
... Yoder 640s Competition and never looked back.

Yep...but get out your checkbook. Big Grin

I love my Yoder.

Posts: 20563 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I think I decided on the Backyard Beast 1000. It's a bit bigger than the 590. Sometimes I cook for a crowd. The 590 doesn't have a top shelf as far as I can see. Is that true? I saw a video of it and they only had 2 racks of ribs and it was pretty full with the exception of rib tips on the side.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thoroughly enjoying my Recteq 590.

Posts: 866 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
The 590 doesn't have a top shelf as far as I can see. Is that true? I saw a video of it and they only had 2 racks of ribs and it was pretty full with the exception of rib tips on the side.

That's correct. Just the grill surface.

Posts: 866 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Recteq 1250. We’ve had it for 3 years now. I’ve had no issues thus far. Clean it out when my hopper gets near empty (or sooner if it needs it). Would highly recommend going with Recteq. Very well built, great customer service and just plain gets the job done. I’m a bit embarrassed to say, my Weber Genesis has grill has not been used in those 3 years. Everything goes on the pellet grill and nothing has come off of it not tasting good.

Posts: 2169 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
590 will fit five full racks of ribs, but it would be maxed out. Three horizontal and two vertical. Might fit a few sausages in between.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4322 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Love my Yoder pellet grill, we've used it 3 or 4 times a week since 2019.

Posts: 12947 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Hopefully these give you a better idea of the 590 space.

Two big chickens, and a full pound of streaky bacon. Four birds would fit if I packed it.

I wish they had a 700 sq/in grill. That would have been perfect.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4322 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Recteq all day long. Camp Chef is good, but it ain’t a recteq.

Also, I have the 590 and it’s usually two to four of us eating. It’s plenty large. The 1100 is great, and huge.

Do you really want one that can smoke three to four briskets?

Hmm maybe I should downsize.

Unless you are having a lot of parties or family gatherings with 15 plus people then downsizing is a good idea.

When you get down here go by the local ACE hardware store, they carry the higher end Traegers and regular models, as well as the BGE, Weber etc.

A good alternative if you want a nice smoker and not dropping a grand on it is the Green Mountain, they are well made, have BT apps to monitor temps of both smoker and the meat, and can be cranked up to sear levels AND it has a hopper empty slot, lift the tab and drain all the unused pellets into a 5 gallon bucket and seal it up.

FYI in all my years here I've never had a bag of pellets swell up and become un-useable, I keep them in a Charcoal storage bin, with handle making it easy to load the hawpah!

You don't need a Rec-Tec et al to survive in Florida, buy one of those if you just have to have one, but, my Traeger is one of the originals, probably 15 years old and it's still standing, nothing rusted out, never replaced a part, floor model at Costco...

In fact just smoked two pounds of bacon tonight.

Mine is the largest model as well, we have 15+ people over on holidays, I can cook two turkeys, a turkey and a ham, lots of ribs, multiple chickens. If it was just me and the Mrs I'd get a small one,

Posts: 24231 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
... Yoder 640s Competition and never looked back.

Yep...but get out your checkbook. Big Grin

I love my Yoder.

Man I love mine. It is S M O O T H and built like a tank. Had to borrow a trailer to get it home.

It’s the Les Baer of pellet grills. Not custom made but pretty freaking good off the shelf.

I cook it 3-4 times a week. And I have a happy wife.

Being on carnivore has many advantages!

0:01

Posts: 4280 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Bought a camp chef for my first pellet smoker. So far I like it a lot. However, I should have bought bigger.

Posts: 1823 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been a BGE guy for years and understand how temp control can be an issue as my deck has constantly switching breezes and air currents from the changing prairie winds. I bought a Memphis Woodfired Grill Elite when they were still made in USA (I think I heard they are bringing build back to USA at least for the premium models) and it cured the temp problems. However it does not impart the smoke flavor I prefer unless I use heavier aroma pellets like hickory and mesquite, which I have heard from others is common. I have also found that the "flavored" oak pellets are far less able to impart the taste I prefer than when I have used 100% natural wood pellets. These can be somewhat hard to find but check the label on the bag to see what you are getting. BTW, a pal of mine that also has a BGE is using a Rec Tec and he is happy with its' performance when using pure based wood pellets. I have also heard of using a tube of pellets to increase smoke flavor if you find it lacking compared to stick burners or charcoal.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2939 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Rec Tec RT-700 here. Works great, zero problems 6-7 years since purchased. 700 is plenty big. Can do a couple whole chickens and legs, thighs on the side. Whole turkey, couple briskets or pork butts, you get the idea.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3794 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
I have been a BGE guy for years and understand how temp control can be an issue as my deck has constantly switching breezes and air currents from the changing prairie winds.

I bought a Memphis Woodfired Grill Elite when they were still made in USA (I think I heard they are bringing build back to USA at least for the premium models) and it cured the temp problems.

However it does not impart the smoke flavor I prefer unless I use heavier aroma pellets like hickory and mesquite, which I have heard from others is common.

I have also found that the "flavored" oak pellets are far less able to impart the taste I prefer than when I have used 100% natural wood pellets. These can be somewhat hard to find but check the label on the bag to see what you are getting. BTW, a pal of mine that also has a BGE is using a Rec Tec and he is happy with its' performance when using pure based wood pellets. I have also heard of using a tube of pellets to increase smoke flavor if you find it lacking compared to stick burners or charcoal.

^^^ This is my dilemma in getting a pellet smoker.

I long for better temp control and perhaps a bit more surface area more than my LG BGE.
However, my fear is I would be sacrificing smoke flavor.
Ultimately I would like an offset but for various reasons it is not practical at this time.
Still a pellet smoker addition is not off the table.

Posts: 23193 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently picked up a very lightly used Pitts and Spitts Maverick 1250 pellet Grill. Was fortunate to find it used for a great price as these are close to $3000 new. However, they’re handmade in Houston Texas. Supposed to last a lifetime. So far it’s been excellent.

Made in Texas, in the good ole' U.S. of A.

Posts: 245 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Recteq Flagship is what I have and couldn't be happier.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Recteq Labor Day sale just started. I ordered the Backyard Beast 1000 $100 off. The Flagship 1100 was $200 off but I just thought it may be too big for me. I assume it uses more pellets to heat that bigger chamber.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Congrats, presume you'll have it shipped direct to FL, if you need I can run up and test smoke a few boston butts for you Razz just to be sure it works...

Posts: 24231 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post