SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Work issue: I’m angry and trying to gauge my reaction....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Work issue: I’m angry and trying to gauge my reaction.... Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
I’d like some opinions on a situation I find myself in at work. I’ll try to speak generally... I’m a front line supervisor with about 11 people under me. One of my employees went to my boss and made a complaint stating my job performance is subpar because of reason X and that he doesn’t trust me.

Now, the reason he gave is absolute garbage and doesn’t hold water in the least, and my boss knows it. They won’t tell me who made the complaint or any context, but I’m 90% sure I know. It’s clear to me this guy had a personal beef and tried using reason x to float it down river because my boss is already predisposed against X. So while my boss recognizes it’s an asinine allegation I’ve essentially been told I’m in the wrong.

I asked what actual responsibilities am I deficient in that need correcting and the answer is “nothing, it’s just this rumor”.

Yet the apparent position is in still in the wrong because this rumor is out there abd it’s on me to fix it (without knowledge of what IT is or who said it). So I asked what his suggestion is on fixing it and he says I should talk with everyone and ask what I’m doing wrong.

I don’t accept that and I won’t do it.

It seems to me that I’m being pressured to accept the premise that I’ve made a mistake without any evidence to back that up. I’ve been accused of wrong doing but am not being provided the evidence as to support.

So here is where I need advice... my first inclination is to march to the guy I strongly suspect is the conplainer and confront him, but that is plainly a bad decision based on emotion and not to be considered.

So my next thought is to tell my hiss (who had already run this at least 2 levels higher than high) that I reject the premise that I’ve done anything wrong without evidence. I have no problem be corrected if you can show me how I was wrong.

Or option 3, stuff it and wait for it to blow over. This is likely because I’m actually changing shifts and the suspected trouble maker won’t be under my supervision any more.

I know option three is the “wisest” but I can’t shske the feeling that it’s just plain wrong. It seems to me that it is passively accepting fault when I don’t believe I’m wrong. Pick your battles and all that.... but right is right and we need to stand for what’s right. Right??

Open to all opinions....

Posts: 6383 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has there been documentation of the so called rumor? If so, fight it and demand full disclosure.
If not, option 3.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16139 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Option 3.

Or

Option 4, go above your bosses head, find out what the problem is and then correct the deficiency (if one exists).

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20853 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
It sounds to me that it would be very easy to make things worse rather than better by chasing down the culprit.
Option three sounds like your best option. I was in a similar situation in my job as a supervisor once and I just let it die in the wind. Turned out to be the best option.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:

Option 4, go above your bosses head, find out what the problem is and then correct the deficiency (if one exists).

I would advise against this one only because if his bosses boss isn't aware, then he just opened a can of worms while disregarding the COC and embarrassing his direct supervisor.

I'd vote option C unless the "nothing to worry about" is held against you at a later date. Meanwhile finding out who fabricated this would be nice, but it seems trust may be a hard thing to come by over there. Good luck either way.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been there. I think it is an increasing problem in the workplace today. Companies are so sensitive to allegations, particularly those that fall in the PC category, but also anything that hurts employee "engagement."

What you need to do is make sure that you have the team on your side--that the other 10 people are comfortable giving you feedback and that you listen and factor in any good points they have. This will insulate you better against false charges and keep overall team performance up. It also will improve communication flow -- "the only thing worse than bad news is bad news late."

Troublemakers seem to have a gift of finding and pressing "reason X." They look for what the boss or company messaging is concentrating on. If, for example, information security (or diversity, professional development, inclusion, etc.) is a big deal, they will try to find a way to complain about how their supervisor is handling some issue from that perspective.

I wouldn't go head on, that can be viewed as "retaliation," but no one can complain about you improving the overall work environment and overall team engagement. No frontal assault, but outmaneuver and build your defense in depth for the next attack.

The joys of leadership in today's increasingly "sensitive" environment.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your boss is a weasel. He should tell the complainer to just stop complaining and do his job or ask to be reassigned to another department.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Feedback from direct reports and peers is not uncommon, referred to around here as a 360 degree review. There’s even a formal process, and it’s encouraged at all levels. So, his option f simply reviewing with the team is not a terrible one. Might learn something else, or what they really like about working in your team.

But, all that said, I’d probably go 3, as the path of elast resistance. Might have to do some rumor control.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2366 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or his bosses' boss is a weasel and his boss is trying to handle the issue within that framework.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
option 3, stuff it and wait for it to blow over.

Posts: 22955 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Has there been documentation of the so called rumor? If so, fight it and demand full disclosure.
If not, option 3.

So the rumor is essentially that my job performance has suffered because I spend a few hours a month doing other work (sanctioned work within my employer). The thing is, it’s just not true. My week liad for my primary job is extremely low... I’m essentially there to handle things if they go bad. Literally I have 60 minutes worth of tasks in a given 12 hour shift. The very premise that 4-6 hours A MONTH doing other business is affecting my primary duties is just plain silly. And my boss knows well how little my duties are.

So I asked my boss specifically what areas of responsibilities am I deficient in that need correcting and he literally said “nothing, it’s just this rumor”.

My mind wanted to say “then why are we here having this discussion” but I just said “I see”.

I know option 3 is the wisest course of action but it just also seems wrong to not stand up for myself.

Posts: 6383 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn’t sound like you have much of a supervisor. It’s not up to you to ask around to find out what you’re doing wrong, if anything. And the fact that he doesn’t dismiss it out of hand suggests he may be more on board with this complaint than you think. So I think your second option is the best, and I don’t think you have very good options since he’s being vague with you

Posts: 1072 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my relatives was fired over a rumor. It cost thew company 28k when it was all over.

Posts: 17153 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Stay the course.

Boss shouldn't have said anything to you unless there was actually correction needed. All boss has done is fertilize the grapevine.

Confronting suspected party could cause additional blowback especially if you have wrong person.

I would have a team meeting and explain that it has been brought to your attention that someone has concerns over your performance. You would like to let the team know that you are open to receive construcrive criticism (and mean it) and anyone with concerns can share during the meeting or afterwords privately. If concerned about repercussions, it would be no issue to have HR assist in the conversations. Then simply act accordingly. If no one steps up, move on. If someone does....

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Your boss told you the right way to handle it, you just missed it:

"I should talk with everyone and ask what I’m doing wrong."

Set up a one on one with every direct report, in order of suspected likelyhood that they are the source, and include a peer on your level from another shift or an HR rep. Have a script for this "upward feedback" session. Let each employee know it's their chance to provide feedback on the work environment and your leadership. If they go through the process and don't repeat the allegations then it's just a bullshit rumor, right? If they voice the concern in the session then deal with it in front of a witness and squash it. This is the proper way to flush the shitbag out in a professional way without singling them out.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
someone is jealous of your freedom. Option 3

Posts: 4706 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have 26 subordinates and in that mix is a problem child or two

I would go with option 2

unless your supervisor can articulate clearly a problem, there is nothing to fix

If he can tell you what the problem is specifically, you can deal with it

I would also make sure that HR gets a copy of your position and have it on the record

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53244 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Unless your fellow workers and supervisors read Sigforum and know you post here, you need to fill in what the allegation is and a few more details. I promise, we won't tell them.
I found the explanation a bit hard to follow.
What I got was that an unnamed employee went to your boss, you think, with an undisclosed complaint that you think is BS. Your boss won't tell you what it was, or who it was, but said you don't need to change anything but you were wrong.
And it's traveling around work as a rumor.
And he doesn't trust you about what?
And you're really pissed. At the guy or the boss or both?
Did I get that right?

Posts: 9557 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:

Set up a one on one with every direct report, in order of suspected likelyhood that they are the source, and include a peer on your level from another shift or an HR rep. Have a script for this "upward feedback" session. Let each employee know it's their chance to provide feedback on the work environment and your leadership. If they go through the process and don't repeat the allegations then it's just a bullshit rumor, right? If they voice the concern in the session then deal with it in front of a witness and squash it. This is the proper way to flush the shitbag out in a professional way without singling them out.

Excellent advice IMO. Make the rat put up or shut up.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3770 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:

Excellent advice IMO. Make the rat put up or shut up.
Winner winner chicken dinner.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post