SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Work issue: I’m angry and trying to gauge my reaction....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Work issue: I’m angry and trying to gauge my reaction.... Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
I asked what actual responsibilities am I deficient in that need correcting and the answer is “nothing, it’s just this rumor”.

Ask again and then ask for the answer/results in writing (of which you get a signed copy).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14067 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Your boss told you the right way to handle it, you just missed it:

"I should talk with everyone and ask what I’m doing wrong."

Set up a one on one with every direct report, in order of suspected likelyhood that they are the source, and include a peer on your level from another shift or an HR rep. Have a script for this "upward feedback" session. Let each employee know it's their chance to provide feedback on the work environment and your leadership. If they go through the process and don't repeat the allegations then it's just a bullshit rumor, right? If they voice the concern in the session then deal with it in front of a witness and squash it. This is the proper way to flush the shitbag out in a professional way without singling them out.

Excellent advice IMO. Make the rat put up or shut up.
Winner winner chicken dinner.

Just read this and couldn't agree more.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14067 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Perhaps make yourself more visible. Spend more time with your people through out the day, every day. (we don't know the actual working situation) While I dislike being micro managed I always preferred a boss that cared and appeared available, even if just to shoot the breeze for a couple minutes. I have worked in places that I never saw my boss for days or weeks at a time. Do you ever tell them they are doing a god job?
Sometimes an employee will strike out at coworkers if frustrated or struggling with their work or even at home. Is this suspect having issues himself?

Do talk to your people, but not to ask them what you are doing wrong... rather word it as, do you see any problems or have any suggestions for improving our process.

Going over your boss's head will just be doing what your accuser is doing to you and should be a last resort. Many bosses aren't happy or very receptive to a problem if they have to address something that should have been handled at a lower level and it can create hard feelings toward you deserved or not.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4142 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I had a boss that developed a system that if any employee (aka pet) complained directly to him the accused was guilty.

I did what you guys suggest, I went to each party, formally wrote it up and logged the transcript AND MADE THEM SIGN IT. This was then filed with HR. Then I put in a work order management program and my staff and I were on top of all tickets.

Pet still goes to supervisor and I get called in and while he is cussing me out, I pull out my Smartphone, pull up said program, and show that the team has 0 open tickets. If I do not have a ticket how can I get it done. Also, if the ticket was closed prematurely, do they have their ticket number so I can review it (answer of course is no, they never filed a ticket).

It ended the back stabbing. The sup always hated me, but at least that part stopped.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3612 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You asked for and received a suggestion from your boss. How you respond may be what is important!
Team building meetings may be their preferred way of dealing with non specific complaints. If a person will not speak up then it is usually just whining or sour grapes and the boss hopefully knows this.

Posts: 1203 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I vote for malicious compliance. Have a meeting where you announce the "process improvement program" or whatever the current corporate BS term is. Tell the group there will be individual meetings and suggestions will be expected. HR and your immediate boss should be invited to the big meeting and CC'd on every meeting transcript (all individual meetings being voluntarily recorded to aid the "process improvement", of course) and e-mails. At the end write up whatever of value comes of this, or if nothing does, spew gobbledygook on a page and call it done.

Yeah, this is all a waste of time, but it is CYA documented, and maybe they will think twice the next time a BS allegation comes up.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Your boss told you the right way to handle it, you just missed it:

"I should talk with everyone and ask what I’m doing wrong."

Set up a one on one with every direct report, in order of suspected likelyhood that they are the source, and include a peer on your level from another shift or an HR rep. Have a script for this "upward feedback" session. Let each employee know it's their chance to provide feedback on the work environment and your leadership. If they go through the process and don't repeat the allegations then it's just a bullshit rumor, right? If they voice the concern in the session then deal with it in front of a witness and squash it. This is the proper way to flush the shitbag out in a professional way without singling them out.

Also with this. Option 3 indicates not willing to deal with it whether rumors right or wrong and disregard of supervisor advice. Supervisor absolutely can include in appraisal your failure to deal with it (makes no difference whether rumor is right or wrong). If there are rumors and you do not address them, you may fuel more rumors and/or lose confidence of some who may have been on your side.

Posts: 657 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate the input guys. I’ve been doing a lot of thinking. Let me try to narrow this down...

The charge that my work performance has suffered is so easily proven false that I’m not really concerned with it.

My supervisor has expressed some ways he thinks I can improve relations with my staff and I am open to that completely. I’m not perfect and I’m a new supervisor with much to learn.

What angers me is that I’ve been assumed guilty without being given the opportunity to respond to the charges. I feel that my boss has not handled this well.

As far as the complaining staff member, I’m not terribly concerned. I’m not their supervisor anymore, as of last night, due to happy coincidence. I think they’ll find that this fella will eventually lodge complaints against his new supervisor as well.

So since I wasn’t given a real opportunity to address the charge before hand I’m making my own opportunity now. I actually rarely see my boss in person due to the shift nature of my position. I almost called him yesterday but decided I would email so there is documentation. My plan is to send it and see what response it generates, reserving the option that my next email may go to my bosses boss and the level above that since somebody already included them anyway. It seems to me that they’ve been told I screwed up then I need to defend myself.

I’m sitting on that email now... I think it’s professional and tactful but also direct. If you read between the lines it pretty much accuses my boss of not handling this fairly. I’m not willing to post it here because it contains specifics but I would like a few people to review it and ensue it’s profesionality. Anybody with relevant work history willing to read it for me? I don’t think it’ll put me on his Christmas list.

Posts: 6392 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
IMO even being sly about calling out your boss isn’t a good idea.

Posts: 13777 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
IMO even being sly about calling out your boss isn’t a good idea.

Hence my hesitation and desire for other parties to review... I have to stand up for myself and what is right, but I want to make sure I do it in the least aggressive manner that still conveys the necessary points.

Posts: 6392 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
When I worked at a Corp my philosophy was always to make my boss/supervisor/VP/etc look GOOD.
It always allowed me to move upward.
I would call a little meeting with your 11 subordinates and say in a productive/positive tone "I hear we have a problem, How can I help?"
WITHOUT forcefully tearing someone down.
Confront your problem had on instead of a back door clandestine approach.
Just my method, YMMV.

Posts: 23028 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
When I worked at a Corp my philosophy was always to make my boss/supervisor/VP/etc look GOOD.
It always allowed me to move upward.
I would call a little meeting with your 11 subordinates and say in a productive/positive tone "I hear we have a problem, How can I help?"
WITHOUT forcefully tearing someone down.
Confront your problem had on instead of a back door clandestine approach.
Just my method, YMMV.

The problem with this approach is it is literally not possible. I can’t garher more than 3 at a time due to logistics so it might come across as me accusing a specific person or persons before I could even make it through all 11.

Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
An update...

I spoke with somebody. I trust who offered me an alternative... instead of emailing my boss and essentially “low-key” attacking him for impromoper handling (a direction I wasn’t comfortable with but saw no way around) it was suggested I email him and thank him for bringing this to his attention and then informing him I wished to set a meeting with his boss directly to clear my name as I believed the allegation to be false.

So I did. Sat down with the bosses boss and explained the situation as it was told to me and stated I had concerns with a few aspects of the situation. Predictably, he pressed for details, which I provided.

In the end he confirmed that neither he nor HIS boss have any negative feelings about me, think I’m doing great, and said to continue doing what I’m doing.

Might be a little awkward around my boss, and I have trust issues now, but that’s not my doing.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm late to this conversation, but I believe I read in the OP that the "issue" complained about was also one that the supervisor had an interest in. Could be that the "outside work" you do is more of an issue with your supervisor than he is willing to let on? Perhaps he thinks it looks to others as if you are receiving special treatment and/or favoritism?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post