SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The college football season doesn't matter........
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The college football season doesn't matter........ Login/Join 
posted
The college football season doesn't matter, Alabama buys it's way into the Final Four football playoff and completely rips off the Pac 12 and Big 10.

I guess winning your big 5 power conference championship doesn't matter a bit. Southern Cal and Ohio State BOTH got totally Ripped off by Alabama being allowed in the playoff. They didn't even win their DIVISION in their own league much less their league championship. Why should they be in instead of Auburn who beat them the week before?

I know all the arguments for Alabama bla, bla, bla. On any given day they could beat any of the teams in the final 4. Guess what, so could any of the top 15-20 teams. Saying that they are better than any other team is TOTALLY SUBJECTIVE. So Cal and OSU OBJECTIVELY WON their Conferences Alabama didn't win their conference and got in ahead of 2 Major football powerhouses that did screwing about half the country in favor of the SEC.

FWIW my team is in for winning it's League - Oklahoma but I'm still pissed that the NCAA screwed 2 Major Conferences and deserving teams. If I was betting I'd probably put my money on Clemson but I hope somehow my Sooners can pull through.........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Because winning your conference is not a prerequisite for being selected in the CFP.

Using your logic Iowa was more worthy than OSU.

Basically they said that losing by 30+ to a 6-5 team is a disqualifier. USC had a similarly bad loss to a vastly overrated Notre Dame. The CFP committee job is to get the best 4 teams.

They ran the Mock BCS formula and the results were the same.

Besides, OSU got in last year. They didn't win their conference, and still had a head to head loss to the conference winner, Penn State. That was a travesty.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a controversy EVERY YEAR
They fiddle with it EVERY YEAR
They announce the 'fairest' way to pick a champ EVERY YEAR.

Posts: 3329 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Because winning your conference is not a prerequisite for being selected in the CFP.

My contention is that it SHOULD be. Why have conference champions if they don't matter? Any other criteria is SUBJECTIVE...........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:

They announce the 'fairest' way to pick a champ EVERY YEAR.

The fairest way to do it is like the FCS does.

Until they do that, it's nothing but a popularity contest and you'll never know who is really the best.

But, there's too much money involved with FBS, so it'll never happen.

Posts: 20611 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:

My contention is that it SHOULD be. Why have conference champions if they don't matter? Any other criteria is SUBJECTIVE...........dj

What if you are in a crappy conference that does not have an out of conference, power 5, non conference win? (Big 10).

Conference championships are created by the conferences themselves. They don't tell you who you he best 4 teams are.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Wait...Did you post this last year when the Big Ten champion was passed over for a team that they had beaten head to head or is this just whining about Alabama?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any other criteria is SUBJECTIVE...........dj

Big 10 has sucked ass in the playoffs the last two years.

I think OSU showed their asses by getting humiliated the last 2 years, and that hurt them - along with the 2 losses and getting destroyed one game.

Fool me once, fool me twice, kinda thing...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Wait...Did you post this last year when the Big Ten champion was passed over for a team that they had beaten head to head or is this just whining about Alabama?
Good question.

Penn State ring a bell?

Anyone, anyone???

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
UCF won their conference championship and were undefeated, where is the outcry? I think they just wanted the best 4 teams, and I think they got them. I am no Alabama fan, but the probably deserve to be top 4. Can they win it all? Not sure, Clemson is a great team and I think they might get the best of Alabama, but only one way to find out.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I think they got the best 4 teams also.

Posts: 7643 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The process has been contentious since day 1

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38251 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meh. There are five power conferences and four spots so one will always be left out plus the Notre Dame issue. Controversy keeps people talking. If they gave a shit about a real playoff they'd make it 16 teams. It's a money grab and nothing more.

Posts: 4333 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As long as Oklahoma or Bama doesn’t win, I am good. I guess I wouldn’t mind Bama winning. Hopefully they will bump it to 8 teams soon.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 965 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
... completely rips off the Pac 12 and Big 10...

You can't be outraged this year unless you were also outraged last year. Were you? The committee does not share your thoughts about the importance of conference championships, and is not obligated to.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1879 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know what the ultimate answer to this kind of thing may be because it sure seems there are several very good, but flawed teams out there. There is a reason why there are so few (or no) undefeafed teams. I do think Alabama would have a stronger case with less push-back had they played a half-decent non-conference schedule. Does Ohio State deserve more credit for an early loss to a play-off team vs 'Bama beating Mercer on the second from last week of the season? Yes, I know Alabama scheduled FSU and it's not their fault the Seminoles weren't good this year, but that doesn't change the nature of the situation.

Again.... No easy answers.

Posts: 2561 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Even though I am an avowed Gator fan I did my grad work at UCF and live about 4 miles from Spectrum stadium.

While I understand logically/realistically why UCF isn't on the same footing as a Power 5 team part of me would still like to see them given a shot.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:
Does Ohio State deserve more credit for an early loss to a play-off team vs 'Bama beating Mercer on the second from last week of the season?

If that was their only loss OSU would be in the playoffs right now. Their problem is they got waxed by an unranked team that went 4-5 in their conference. Not just a bad game where they lost a close one, they got trounced by 31 points - by a team that would have a hard time scoring 31 points with no defense on the field.

UCF would be a double digit dog to any one of the 4 teams in the playoffs, plus at least another 5-10 power 5 schools that are not in the playoffs.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
If any of you follow David Burge on Twitter, his marble idea is fantastic.

quote:
Updated #MarbleGame top tens, under different season-starting marble counts. Beat an FCS team at home, take 20% of their marbles, beat them on the road, take 25%; neutral site game treated as home game for both teams.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9183 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Sounds like someone has his paintles in a wad...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post