SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The college football season doesn't matter........
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The college football season doesn't matter........ Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by sprg03-A3:
Does Ohio State deserve more credit for an early loss to a play-off team vs 'Bama beating Mercer on the second from last week of the season?

If that was their only loss OSU would be in the playoffs right now. Their problem is they got waxed by an unranked team that went 4-5 in their conference. Not just a bad game where they lost a close one, they got trounced by 31 points - by a team that would have a hard time scoring 31 points with no defense on the field.

UCF would be a double digit dog to any one of the 4 teams in the playoffs, plus at least another 5-10 power 5 schools that are not in the playoffs.

And while I understand and agree with your point to a certain extent OSU also beat 2 top 5 teams, and at least 2 top 10 teams (I think....) and won their conference championship game while 'Bama sat home. By the way I am not a Buckeye fan. OSU is just the obvious example. As I said ...no simple solutions.....

Posts: 2561 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I agree, wholeheartedly- the college football season is absolutely meaningless.

I couldn't agree more

Posts: 109160 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
And while I understand and agree with your point to a certain extent OSU also beat 2 top 5 teams, and at least 2 top 10 teams (I think....) and won their conference championship game while 'Bama sat home. By the way I am not a Buckeye fan. OSU is just the obvious example. As I said ...no simple solutions.....

I'm a Bama fan, but had resigned myself to them not getting in after they lost to Auburn. My wife asked Saturday night if Alabama was in the playoffs and I told her probably not. They had a chance to clinch it by beating Auburn and they screwed the pooch. I wasn't going to whine if they didn't get in, but looking at the criteria and what the committee has been charged to do I understand why they are in. The way I look at it is if you don't want the committee making the decision, win on the field and take it out of their hands. That's pretty much what Urban said, and I can respect the fact that he didn't whine about it - win and you don't have to worry about the committee.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
... completely rips off the Pac 12 and Big 10...

You can't be outraged this year unless you were also outraged last year. Were you? The committee does not share your thoughts about the importance of conference championships, and is not obligated to.

You absolutely can be upset, just not if you are a Buckeye fan (I am). In years past the lack of a conference championship game (Big12) was described as a significant factor in the CFP committee selecting OSU vs TCU/Baylor.

In the end however I think the issue people are having a hard time with is that two SEC teams got in. While I am not the biggest SEC fan I do believe the CFP committee selected the four best teams in the nation to play.

For those talking about last years selection and the precedent set, you are overlooking the fact that the CFP committee did the same thing last year. They evaluated a body of work, and gave OSU credit for being one play from an unbeaten season, and felt they were the better team vs PSU for the season.

For the record, I felt they deserved to be in for 2014 and 2016. I do NOT feel they deserve to be in this year. The Iowa loss is just ugly. There isn't a reason for it. Of the two teams, Bama is a CLEAR choice.

In the end, it would be great if the format would allow for the inclusion of teams that had great seasons. IMHO though at this point, there is still a very clear separation between the top tier teams and the 2nd tier. The one thing I do not want to see is an automatic award to conference champs regardless of record. Granting that the football version doesn't work the same way as the basketball tourney does, at some point a weak SEC west or Big10 west team with a couple of losses will beat a no loss east team.

A rather long post to simply say as a B1G fan, and a Buckeye through and through, the CFP committee got it right.

ETA: removed BCS in favor of CFP committee...

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I love that you guys are still using "BCS" 4 years later....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I love that you guys are still using "BCS" 4 years later....

Ill edit mine to CFP - don't want anyone triggered...

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
... completely rips off the Pac 12 and Big 10...

You can't be outraged this year unless you were also outraged last year. Were you? The committee does not share your thoughts about the importance of conference championships, and is not obligated to.

As a matter of fact I WAS! I think USC should have gone over Ohio State but if Ohio State went at least they won their conference.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm actually kinda relieved that the Bucks didn't get in. Last New Years Eve was a heartbreaker.
This year started off decent and then the loss to Oklahoma. I could handle that as they only had one loss. Then the Iowa game happened. That sealed it for me.
I still see this season as a success to me. Beat Penn State, beat Michigan and won the Big 10 championship.
They didn't deserve a spot and I wouldn't want them getting embarrassed by Clemson or the other schools. They still have work to do to get there.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talking with my dad last night, we both agreed that Ohio State did not deserve to be in the BCS, CFP, XYZ whatever they call it now.

My dad is a die hard fan, and I graduated from there. The loss to Iowa was the killer.

My dad pointed out (as many on the board has stated) that the Big 10 has not had any real success in bowl games for years.

In reality it is all about money. What teams can they choose that will draw the most viewers or fans to the stadiums.

I think the whole bowl thing is garbage any more. I remember back in the day watching a marathon of games on New Years Day. Now there are something like 31 bowl games.

For my money, one of the best games this year was the UCF vs Memphis game. That game is going to be hard to beat.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
Posted this in another thread, but it seems relevant here:

My idea for how it should work:

Reduce the regular season by 1 game (maybe even 2 for the sake of all these injuries).
Go to an 8-team playoff comprised of:
Each champion of a Power 5 Conference + any undefeated team(s) from the Group of 5 and/or independents and let the committee determine who would fill the remaining 1, 2, or 3 (most years) spots. The committee would also seed the playoffs.

If you don't make it in by winning your conference championship, going undefeated, or being deemed by the committee to be AT LEAST among the top 8 teams, then you really have no gripes. We'd also get some more great inter-conference match-ups among the top teams.

This year, we'd be looking at something like:
1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Bama
5. Ohio State
6. Wisconsin
7. USC
8. UCF

Posts: 697 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
I'm actually kinda relieved that the Bucks didn't get in. Last New Years Eve was a heartbreaker.
This year started off decent and then the loss to Oklahoma. I could handle that as they only had one loss. Then the Iowa game happened. That sealed it for me.
I still see this season as a success to me. Beat Penn State, beat Michigan and won the Big 10 championship.
They didn't deserve a spot and I wouldn't want them getting embarrassed by Clemson again, like 31-0 last year or the other schools. They still have work to do to get there.
FIFY

Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Conference championships should have zero to do with choosing who goes or stays, it's become the bain of the NCAA Basketball selection system providing automatic berths to mid majors simply because they have a "Conference Tournament".

This in the long run especially if the College playoffs are expanded will result in inferior teams kicking out good teams simply because of one win.

So what if the two top teams are from the Big 10, 12, PAC, SEC, ACC, isn't that what the college playoffs are designed to prevent, where sports writers would pick and choose favorites to play in the top game based on rankings from guys that write for news papers. Or not selecting a superior team because of it's conference as it might upset someone from another conference.

For example (and you can put OSU - Wisc if you are offended at my SEC selections in this senario) you could have Florida and Alabama undefeated since they don't play every year, and both the east and west divisions were strong, so say you have these two SEC teams undefeated, and you have a one loss Ohio State, should we eliminate a power conference team thats undefeated because they are in the same conference if they truly are the best two teams in CFB?

No matter how it's structured there will be discussions on the merits and faults, nobody will ever be happy with the selections no matter what the committee does.

Posts: 24339 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:

I'm a Bama fan, but had resigned myself to them not getting in after they lost to Auburn. My wife asked Saturday night if Alabama was in the playoffs and I told her probably not. They had a chance to clinch it by beating Auburn and they screwed the pooch. I wasn't going to whine if they didn't get in, but looking at the criteria and what the committee has been charged to do I understand why they are in. The way I look at it is if you don't want the committee making the decision, win on the field and take it out of their hands. That's pretty much what Urban said, and I can respect the fact that he didn't whine about it - win and you don't have to worry about the committee.

You are absolutely correct.... Win, and then the committee with their shifting agendas isn't part of the equation. I personally have no issue with Alabama getting in this screwed up year myself. I have more of a problem with the standards used that are different year-to-year.

Posts: 2561 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
There was no clear #4 team this year. Absolutely do not agree with expanding the playoff to 6 or 8 teams because a couple of 2 loss teams weren’t selected for the final four. I think the four team playoff is a good concept.

Posts: 13598 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
There was no clear #4 team this year. Absolutely do not agree with expanding the playoff to 6 or 8 teams because a couple of 2 loss teams weren’t selected for the final four. I think the four team playoff is a good concept.

Agree completely!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
They didn't deserve a spot and I wouldn't want them getting embarrassed by Clemson again, like 31-0 last year or the other schools. They still have work to do to get there.
FIFY

Big Grin

Thanks. Hahaha.
That was not a pretty game last year and basically ruined my New Years Eve. I ended up with my back to the TV and just tried to enjoy the night.
They have the Cotton Bowl and we'll see what happens that night. Still pleased that they beat Michigan.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Well, this is a minor departure from the thread, but I think it relates.

Both the NBA and the NHL seasons are also irrelevant. Both sports play the entire season to eliminate about 2 or maybe 4 teams from the playoffs. Meaningless.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunter62:
UCF won their conference championship and were undefeated, where is the outcry?

As a UCF grad I ask the same question. (Ok, playoffs and championships are all about the money and I know UCF doesn’t have the national following to make as much scratch as these bigger schools, but still if it’s all about records abc conferences...)

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6776 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
College athletics is amateur sports. They don't need to be playing 15+ games a season. Probably shouldn't play more than 10-12 games a season. Used to be that way and somehow a National Champ was selected. 90+ percent of those who participate will not be going pro. 99%+ of fans in the stands will ever play professionally. Probably most of those replying in these college football threads never played varsity football on a collegiate level. Relax and enjoy the holidays and amateur entertainment. OH and !!! Roll Tide Roll !!! Smile

Posts: 4841 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

Agree completely!

What about 0 loss teams who weren't selected for the final four?
Pretty damn unsatisfactory if you are a UCF player/coach/alumni.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post