SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do they get out of this Google/alexa/whatever search scam?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do they get out of this Google/alexa/whatever search scam? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I keep getting calls on the business line because "your business listing is not showing up on Google (or is not optimized for Alexa voice search) results". They hang up when I ask what sort of scam they are running, so I never get an answer. I do try to waste some of their time and my goal is to have them hang up on me but what could they possibly get out of trying to update my business listing, which, by the way, does just fine on organic search?

Do they try to sell a phony upgraded listing or try to get a credit card number for validation?

Posts: 45382 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
They are selling SEO, and whatever other site modifications you are foolish enough to pay for. What else might "accidentally" get charged to your card, or whatever additional credit might be taken out in your name is anybody's guess.

Posts: 6495 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Like many things, there is some real, actually useful Search Engine Optimization (SEO) work that actually does benefit the business that buys it. However, the odds that the spamming wankers who are calling you are selling such work is vanishingly small.

Posts: 6922 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
All day, everyday, I can tell because my customers are not local, so when a local line, like my own, calls me, it's them, occasionally it's from out of town. IT's a pain because as a business you need to answer the phone every time...

Posts: 23513 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post