SIGforum
What do they get out of this Google/alexa/whatever search scam?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6420043574

October 07, 2020, 06:33 AM
mark123
What do they get out of this Google/alexa/whatever search scam?
I keep getting calls on the business line because "your business listing is not showing up on Google (or is not optimized for Alexa voice search) results". They hang up when I ask what sort of scam they are running, so I never get an answer. I do try to waste some of their time and my goal is to have them hang up on me but what could they possibly get out of trying to update my business listing, which, by the way, does just fine on organic search?

Do they try to sell a phony upgraded listing or try to get a credit card number for validation?
October 07, 2020, 06:40 AM
architect
They are selling SEO, and whatever other site modifications you are foolish enough to pay for. What else might "accidentally" get charged to your card, or whatever additional credit might be taken out in your name is anybody's guess.
October 07, 2020, 09:45 AM
slosig
Like many things, there is some real, actually useful Search Engine Optimization (SEO) work that actually does benefit the business that buys it. However, the odds that the spamming wankers who are calling you are selling such work is vanishingly small.
October 07, 2020, 09:49 AM
HRK
All day, everyday, I can tell because my customers are not local, so when a local line, like my own, calls me, it's them, occasionally it's from out of town. IT's a pain because as a business you need to answer the phone every time...