SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It's 3am. You awake to the sounds of your dogs barking...Final update
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's 3am. You awake to the sounds of your dogs barking...Final update Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
If I know for certain people are in my house, it would depend on whether or not I am alone.

In my case I have a son, so I would dial 911, and proceed to get him from his room and bring him back into my bedroom with my wife and dogs. Then I would cover my stairs and wait for the cops. Should anyone be in between my son and me on my way to get him, then I would react accordingly.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
In response to the voices, I'd inquire "How do you assholes feel about being sent to your maker with the last image burned into your brain being my wiener flopping around from the recoil?"

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31455 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I'd let the dogs handle it, initially anyway.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
What do you do? IN a age of no knock warrants and, at times poor police intelligence this is the scary scenario. I keep a shotgun with a light in the closet and a 2022 with a light in the nightstand. The dogs would have been barking and already on the move as I sleep with my bedroom door open.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3694 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Move?

This incident would be a major impetus.

quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

<snip to the chase>

What do you do?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, my cat acts as an alarm. She sleeps beside me in bed. When she hears something outside, she bolts off the bed and runs to the appropriate window to investigate. This wakes me every time.
Most of the time it is animals outside.
As to the OPs scenario: 911 call and unlimber 870 and wait for the troops. I live alone so no need to engage until the bedroom threshold is crossed.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16103 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Gun in hand, lights on, 870 in closet if there's time.
Wife on phone to 911.
If bad guys want to open my bedroom door (my GSD is named Beast), good luck to them.
If it's a no knock the LE will be communicating.
If it's a bad guy I doubt they'd be having a conversation in my kitchen.
Yell through the door to "identify yourself, my dog and gun are at the ready"

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I will respond given your scenario.

Grab weapon. Have wife call 911. Get to a corner of the bedroom on the hinge side of the door and wait. Depending on the training of the dogs I would have them sit next to us if they would. Untrained dogs may continue to bark their heads off and run around the room.

Continue to talk to 911 and hope they arrive before someone comes through me bedroom door.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16404 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
When are we gonna find out the correct answer?

Posts: 26923 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
When are we gonna find out the correct answer?

Tomorrow night.

It'll be a practical test.

Nice is overrated

Posts: 31455 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Keep whatever gun you grab hidden from view just in case the PoPo got the wrong address. It wouldn't be good to be morally correct but factually deceased.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Code zero zero zero. Destruct. Zero

I've got kids all over my house. I'm going to investigate. Prepare my mind to identify, verify, etc.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
Hope the comet has come early, I don't want to go to work all day then die in a massive cosmic collision.

Get it over with early so I can't limp away from this

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7905 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I left out of the 1st post...you do not have a phone in your bedroom. As unlikely as that sounds, it is true.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I left out of the 1st post...you do not have a phone in your bedroom. As unlikely as that sounds, it is true.

I yell louder "How do you assholes feel about being sent to your maker with the last image burned into your brain being my wiener flopping around from the recoil?"

Nice is overrated

Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well in that case, yell through the door, "I'm letting the dog out, last chance to identify yourself".
If it's police they'll be yelling "police", if not the dog will take care of them and I'll be following up the appropriate action with the shotgun if anybody comes down over the hall toward us.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Arm myself and wife.
Get behind cover (or concealment) while maintaining line of shot on doorway as a fatal funnel. Different firing locations for wife and me.
Call 911
If available, take turns donning body armor while other one covers.
Continue to monitor fatal funnel.
Wait for cavalry.

When things have calmed down, over the next few days, I would invest in a better alarm system, video cameras and a pack of dogs for outside the room.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17466 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:

I yell louder "How do you assholes feel about being sent to your maker with the last image burned into your brain being my wiener flopping around from the recoil?"

BTW, that's a win Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Situation: Per OP, you have no access to a phone. Assume wife is beside you in bed. Dogs are in room with you. You hear talking.

What I Would Do: Arm self with pistol and flashlight. Do not turn flashlight on. With light off, quietly and slowly open bedroom door slightly and yell that you are armed and whoever is there needs to GTFO now, or you are releasing the dogs in 10 seconds. Wait 10 seconds, release dogs. Wait another 10 seconds, proceed cautiously and investigate.

Maybe you discover that someone left the TV on.

Posts: 4011 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok.... If no phone, advance to the top of my second floor landing and prepare to educate someone on the concept of fatal funnel.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16103 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post