SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ever had a love/hate relationship with a vehicle??
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever had a love/hate relationship with a vehicle?? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bob ramberg:
1981 ALFA Romeo GTV6/2.5. It was like having a beautiful exciting girlfriend that cheated on you. Most of the time it was awesome, but every now and then it would do something that pissed me off.

Small world. Same for me, except mine was a 1983. Besides a lot of shit that broke and left me stranded, it was slow accelerating, handling sucked, so did the brakes and transaxle. More like a fat girlfriend who was lousy in bed.

My previous Italian car was a 1974 Fiat 124 Special TC sedan that was a lot sportier despite half the horsepower, in part because it was nearly 1,000 pounds lighter than the GTV6. And no reliability issues, either! Great to throw into a high-speed curve, and I raced it in SCCA Showroom Stock.

I complained to the dealer that I couldn't hit 3rd gear either up or down, without double-clutching. They called in the Midwest Alfa factory rep who said I just didn't know how to drive stick-shift, despite being licensed to race by SCCA, IMSA and FIA. The dealership tore down the gearbox and found that 3rd gear was not finished before installation, the Apes at the factory left it straight-cut, not beveled. The dealership mechanic (also a licensed race driver in Mid West Council and SCCA) said it was amazing that I could engage 3rd at all.

I won't go on, since even after 40 years I'm still trying to forget! Eek

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9386 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

Love everything about the truck except the paint. Had the hood and roof redone when I first got it used and now a year later the passenger side clearcoat is going bad. Like you said, no other vehicles on the road meets the requirements these do.

Posts: 5928 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Volvo for me. We have had three. Two were XC 70s. Loved the ride. All the bells and whistles of most limited vehicles. The body doesn’t rust, or is more resistant. The Engineers were smart enough to run the gas and break lines in the frame tube to prevent rust.
Now let’s talk about electrical issues. Wait, my BP just spiked!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1145 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TBH:
Volvo for me...

In about 1971 I had an opportunity to buy a 123GT but stupidly passed, bought an MGB instead. Even though the MGB was only six years old, it didn't last more than a few months. If I chose the 123GT instead, there's a fair chance I'd still be driving it!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9386 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
VW Passat. Bought it new. First day I drove it, I lowered the driver door window at a toll booth. Window would not go back up. Raining heavily. Called U.S.A. VW to ask what to do. "Take it back to the dealer where you bought it," they said.

I was several hundred miles from that dealer.

The vehicle was constantly plagued by problems, mostly electrical. Door lock system that might or might not work. Alarm system that had a mind of its own. Alternator that sometimes charged the battery. Speakers that quit working.

I actually drove more days, and put more miles, on service loaners than I did on my own car. I dumped it the week before the warranty expired.

The "love" part? It was a delightful car to drive, the rare times that it was working. Acceleration, handling, braking, all the mechanical things were great, but the electrical gremlins were horrible.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love/Hate…Absolutely!!

Two vehicles, both Jaguars from the 1960’s

#1. Jag XK140 Drophead Coupe - stunningly beautiful in a deep red with real wood interior, red leather seating

#2. Jaguar 3.8 Saloon - fantastic metallic silver paint and the wonderful real wood trim and leather seats

So…why the hate? Both required essentially a riding mechanic! English Electrical Systems designed by the Prince of Darkness, hydraulic systems by Lord Leakmore!

My Heavens, I wish I still owned them - I simply could not afford the maintenance costs at the time

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2162 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
The 22” wheels drastically degrade the ride around town but switching to Michelin Defenders from the OEM Bridgestones did help quite a bit.

How much would you say the tires made a difference in the ride? I still have bridgestones and have heard a lot of good about the Michelin defender series on these trucks.

Posts: 5928 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:
quote:
The 22” wheels drastically degrade the ride around town but switching to Michelin Defenders from the OEM Bridgestones did help quite a bit.

How much would you say the tires made a difference in the ride? I still have bridgestones and have heard a lot of good about the Michelin defender series on these trucks.

SUBSTANTIAL!!! Those OEM Bridgestones are complete and utter garbage.

The Michelins are so much more quiet, smoother, worlds better traction in all weather.
You still know you are riding on 22s but the Michelins are excellent. Expensive but worth every penny.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25721 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
My love-hate was with the 3 different Fiat X1/9s that I've owned (1974, 1977, and 1978)! Good looking little car and an absolute BLAST to drive, both on the road and on the track!!!

Reliability was horrible and something was always having to be "fixed". There is a reason why FIAT stands for Fix It Again Tomorrow...

Posts: 4810 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:

Do it and do not look back! Same truck, same switch for me.

Posts: 2367 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:

2015 Chevrolet Suburban LTZ 113,000 miles

I had the exact same truck, exact same color, slightly different wheel, until March of this year. It had 229,000 miles. It looked awesome and was solid as could be. Then I got rear ended at a stop sign so it went bye bye and I upgraded to a 2022 RST in red.

Posts: 2367 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My first car, a 1953 MG-TD. Loved the car, grew to loathe Lucas electrical stuff.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10885 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Same answer as the “What was your first car” and “What did you learn to drive a manual transmission in.”

1964 Ford Falcon
That rattling turd left me stranded so many times. Got hideous gas mileage. It was ugly. I loved it.

Posts: 13847 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GT. Spacious car, large gas tank and it got great (for 2003) mileage. But little things went wrong with it: AC knob broke, pulley seized and snapped the belt, rear brake rotors wore very quick.

2003 Corvette Z06. Something kept draining the battery, if I went a week without driving it, I'd have to jump start it. Cheap plastic interior pieces would brake. Rattles and squeaks (not as bad as a C4 Corvette, though). But it was a fun car to drive!

Posts: 13321 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alyron:
Every older/classic car I've ever owned. MG's, Jags, Lotus, Alfas. There is a reason I would never keep them very long. Loved them until they felt like they were more trouble than they were worth. Then after they're gone for a while I only remember the good parts, miss them, and buy another. It's a terrible cycle-

BTDT, two TR-250, TR-4, Spitfire, MGB-GT and a TR-7> When they ran, they were great fun.

I finally kicked the habit after one incident. I was leaving for a date in my TR-250 and a diaphragm on a Stromberg carb blew out. How did I know? Years of experience. I always had a spare set, mounted on a spare manifold, ready in the garage. I swapped to the spare setup and was on my way in 20 minutes. At first I was proud of my feat, then I realized that many people don't need to do this on a regular basis. Within a week I bought an F-150 as my daily driver.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 743 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
2003 Corvette Z06. Something kept draining the battery, if I went a week without driving it, I'd have to jump start it. Cheap plastic interior pieces would brake. Rattles and squeaks (not as bad as a C4 Corvette, though). But it was a fun car to drive!

Were these the ones that had to be parked in Reverse to fully shut down the electronics?
Can't remember if that was a C5 or C6 thing, or just a myth.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Ever had a love/hate relationship with a vehicle??

I didn't know there was any other kind? Smile

If you do your own work, no Big Grin

Seriously, my wife's Tesla.

I love the power, it handles well for the weight, it's very crash-safe, it's been zero maintenance.

Things I hate:
-UGLY
-It blasts you with music half of the time you get in.
-Center mounted instrument-tablet thing
-Tire life SUCKs
-all the personality of a cheapo chinese coffee maker.
-Charging complicates long trips AND you have to deal with all the other dipshits that drive Teslas Wink
-Everybody hates you

Still better than my 90's turbo DSM. Those who know...know...

Posts: 5234 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:

2015 Chevrolet Suburban LTZ 113,000 miles

I had the exact same truck, exact same color, slightly different wheel, until March of this year. It had 229,000 miles. It looked awesome and was solid as could be. Then I got rear ended at a stop sign so it went bye bye and I upgraded to a 2022 RST in red.

Did the transmission last the whole time?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25721 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
My 1999 International 4700 Crew Cab with Wiers Tow Body. It had the 7.3 IH diesel. Replaced the Air Ride front captain chairs covered in Imitation Mouse Fur witH Full leather Bostrom seats. Truck towed my 20k pound 5th wheel easily. Rear self leveling air bags and the air ride seats made bumps disappear. Loved it (and the air horns were a big PLUS Smile
HATED filling up 120 gallons of $4.00 gallon diesel. On yeah,, 6 new Michelin truck tires. And 11 million gallons of Rotella for an oil change.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7309 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also had a Fiat X/19. Super fun to drive, on the rare occasions it was drivable.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3640 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post