SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ever had a love/hate relationship with a vehicle??
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever had a love/hate relationship with a vehicle?? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I am ALWAYS fixing something on this damn thing! Currently has an HID bulb out, at least I hope it is the bulb and not the ballast.
Ordered a Hella replacement bulb that was supposed to be here today but Amazon just sent me an email saying, Ha just kidding you have to wait till Monday now!
I have had to replace so many things on this thing it’s been awful. But I just got done washing it and was reminded how it really is a good looking vehicle.
It drives very very well especially on the highway get really good gas mileage for its size. Has ton of room for the the boys their stuff and buddies.
The 22” wheels drastically degrade the ride around town but switching to Michelin Defenders from the OEM Bridgestones did help quite a bit.
As much as I hate it there really is not another viable option in a long wheelbase vehicle. So we’ll just drive this thing till the wheels fall off and I pray pretty much daily the transmission does not explode on me.
2015 Chevrolet Suburban LTZ 113,000 miles

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25646 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love/Hate was in the form of an El Camino:
Snow would cake up on the bumper mounted tailights and connecting wires. The wires became disconnected, and I got to explain this situation to cops quite often. Only saving grace was that you really could not drive it in snow, since it had zero traction. Also could not haul anything heavy in the bed without an overload condition occurring.
Great idea! Poor execution.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16364 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
The only comment I have is that I like the Michelin Defenders. I had them on my previous CR-V and will be buying a set soon for my current 2020 CR-V. I must say though, the Continentals that came on it from the factory have done well. A little over 80k miles and there is still a little life left.

Good luck with your Suburban!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39185 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Love/Hate was in the form of an El Camino:
Snow would cake up on the bumper mounted tailights and connecting wires. The wires became disconnected, and I got to explain this situation to cops quite often. Only saving grace was that you really could not drive it in snow, since it had zero traction. Also could not haul anything heavy in the bed without an overload condition occurring.
Great idea! Poor execution.

The El Camino and Ranchero were very cool looking cars, though!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39185 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I like my latest truck.

Goes fast and loud. Fun to drive anywhere. I don't mind the 9 MPG.

Posts: 9383 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love/hate? Only one car - a Subaru Forester. LOVE: 1: the only problem I had driving in snow was people wouldn't get out of my way. 2: it was tall enough I could get in without banging my head on the door opening.

HATE: Pretty much everything else about it. Lousy electrics, inaccurate fuel gauge, huge understeer on slippery roads, wind noise from frameless windows, dipstick never read the same twice (how hard is it to design a dipstick?) etc. I bought it brand new and maintained it by the book. At 80,000 miles the head gaskets started to leak. Traded it for a Ford Escape and never looked back.

Bottom line, if somebody GAVE me one it would be for sale before the end of the day.

Posts: 709 | Location: Rural W. MI | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Turn off the active fuel management. May require a person with a tuner.

My Suburban cost the previous owner and me thousands. As is my Sierra Denali HD.

I want a new drug. (Huey reference). Maybe a Ford?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5190 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My '03 has 425,000 miles on it, a lot of that towing, still going strong. No hate in that relationship...it's the best vehicle I've ever owned and I love it. I've had to fix a few things, but for the age and mileage and all the places that thing has taken us, it doesn't owe me a dime.

Posts: 9167 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Turn off the active fuel management. May require a person with a tuner.

My Suburban cost the previous owner and me thousands. As is my Sierra Denali HD.

I want a new drug. (Huey reference). Maybe a Ford?

Turned that stupid shit off the day I bought it! Aside from constantly having to fix the damn thing I like the Suburban better than the Expeidition I traded for my Tundra.

quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
My '03 has 425,000 miles on it, a lot of that towing, still going strong. No hate in that relationship...it's the best vehicle I've ever owned and I love it. I've had to fix a few things, but for the age and mileage and all the places that thing has taken us, it doesn't owe me a dime.

Unfortunately they don’t make them like that anymore.
My 2000 Silverado is still going strong.

————————————————

Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
I had a first generation Mini Cooper S that was like that. It was fun to drive, surprisingly good in the snow and wet, and the little supercharged engine was actually quite reliable. However, that car broke so. much. stuff. Seat rails, window regulators, lots of electrical sensors, servos, and other bits. It is also the only car I've ever owned where a major body panel rusted clear through in under 100k miles, and it was the rear hatch that did it! Everything that wasn't purely mechanical on that car sucked, but the mechanical bits sure were fun!

- Bret

Posts: 2475 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unfortunately they don’t make them like that anymore.
My 2000 Silverado is still going strong.

As is my '01 Silverado. Towed the boat to and from the lake with it this morning, tried to jump my POS '18 work Durango with it this afternoon but I don't think that problem is the battery, and we're currently sitting in the back of it at the drive-in waiting for the movie to start.

The answer is, buy old trucks!

Posts: 9167 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you call it Moby?

Far as love/hate, probably my current truck. Inherited it from my grandparents with 44k miles on a then 15 year old truck. Has all the leaks, squeaks, creaks and whines that come from siting more than it was driven and has cost me enough in parts and labor tobhave just bought a better used car. But, it's mine and I'm comfortable in it and it's paid for. So, I keep fixing it.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2782 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
1968 Dodge Charger

Trying to make a >20 year old muscle car a daily driver was a bad idea

Did make me feel good many time, kind of like American Graffiti

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times"

Little did I know how hard life would be

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
all of the 90's chevy's we've had I liked but seemed like one was always leaving somebody stranded with a bad fuel pump. Don't own any more chevies.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19674 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A 1983 Yamaha XZ550 Vision motorcycle, similar to this one except the accent striping was gold.

I had a great time with it, including a memorable vacation, when it ran. Although very advanced for the time (not many bikes in this displacement range had DOHC V-twins* with water cooling and shaft drive), it was unreliable, leaving me stranded in BFE more than once with charging system problems, one time boiling the battery dry.

*A four-cylinder engine built on its architecture powered bikes like the V-Max and Venture.

Posts: 28586 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bob ramberg
posted Hide Post
1981 ALFA Romeo GTV6/2.5. It was like having a beautiful exciting girlfriend that cheated on you. Most of the time it was awesome, but every now and then it would do something that pissed me off.

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1384 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every older/classic car I've ever owned. MG's, Jags, Lotus, Alfas. There is a reason I would never keep them very long. Loved them until they felt like they were more trouble than they were worth. Then after they're gone for a while I only remember the good parts, miss them, and buy another. It's a terrible cycle-

Posts: 374 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I love the GMT800 platform, I hate their propensity to rust. I have my dad's 2003 rust free Silverado with 53,000 miles and my life is spent trying to keep it from rusting in Iowa's love for winter salt on roads.

I bought a pre-rusted 2005 Avalanche last year for winter duty and that thing is immensely more useful than the Silverado with a better ride and firmer brakes. It's constant rusting leaves stains on the driveway. I van hear it rusting outside while I sleep.

GM really hit it out of the park with that generation, with the exception of potential transmission issues, which are still better than the Suburban you have and I had. Itd a shame they didnt do better rist proofing. As mentioned before, our 2017 Suburban went out at 90,000 miles, all because some genius at GM wanted to run the ATF up to 200+ degrees to eek another .0001 mpg and to build the torque converter out of unicorn facts and cat whiskers instead of anything durable.

Posts: 2601 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ever had a love/hate relationship with a vehicle??

I didn't know there was any other kind? Smile

Posts: 21325 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
I love the GMT800 platform, I hate their propensity to rust. I have my dad's 2003 rust free Silverado with 53,000 miles and my life is spent trying to keep it from rusting in Iowa's love for winter salt on roads.

I bought a pre-rusted 2005 Avalanche last year for winter duty and that thing is immensely more useful than the Silverado with a better ride and firmer brakes. It's constant rusting leaves stains on the driveway. I van hear it rusting outside while I sleep.

GM really hit it out of the park with that generation, with the exception of potential transmission issues, which are still better than the Suburban you have and I had. Itd a shame they didnt do better rist proofing. As mentioned before, our 2017 Suburban went out at 90,000 miles, all because some genius at GM wanted to run the ATF up to 200+ degrees to eek another .0001 mpg and to build the torque converter out of unicorn facts and cat whiskers instead of anything durable.

Thanks to rust I replaced all rear brake components, hard brake lines, fuel lines, and put in completely new rockers. On the 2000
Looks great! Still spent less on that than I have the Suburban.

I swapped out the transmission cooler bypass to keep the trans temps lower on the Suburban.
Sadly that has only been on for about 10k miles. I wish I would have known about the heat issues earlier.

————————————————