SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Holy Flat Rate Box, Batman!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holy Flat Rate Box, Batman! Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I made big (negative...) points with the postmaster today.

Ordered a set of SWAG Offroad arbor plates for my 30 ton press. They're cut out of high strength grade 50-A572 steel plate. A pair of the 9.75 x 9.75 x 1 size came in a flat rate box. Weighed in at 67 pounds!

Seriously spendy, but very nice. Machined on both faces, absolutely flat and no scale.

I got tired of trying to scrounge up enough scrap steel to jury-rig a way to press stuff apart/together. These should be a major improvement.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15263 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Talk about getting your moneys worth. Big Grin

Posts: 13140 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Don’t hate the playa’, hate the game... Wink

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10948 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I had 32 pounds of lead bars arrive in the Small Flat Rate Box.

There was a guy in Alaska who shipped himself cinder blocks and bagged concrete ... REALLY pissed off the Service

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
My brother shipped me about 15,000 pieces of 223 brass from AK. Each box looked like a full tick and weighed in at over 50 pounds each. Seven boxes. Not a happy mail carrier that day.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8221 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
When I was a mail carrier for all of 4 months, we had a business on my route who sold clay. They used the flat rate boxes and during Christmas season would have dozens of the large flat rate boxes. I didn't mind as it was good exercise. Big Grin

Posts: 13140 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
70 pounds per package is the limit. Domestic Mail Manual

Posts: 4011 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I get flat rate boxes of bullets on a pretty regular basis that are just under the 70lb limit. My mail lady hates me Big Grin.

Posts: 8616 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Not flat rate, but I get 44 pound bags of dog food delivered monthly. I'm sure I'm not my mailman's favorite customer.

Interesting that it's cheaper for me to order it online, have it shipped cross-country, and get the mailman to lug it to my doorstep than it is for me to drive down to the store and schlep it home myself.

Posts: 32538 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best is I had 2 group 31 AGM batteries shipped to me. They put each battery in a cardboard box about twice the size of the battery, no padding, no nothing. So when you picked the box up, the battery rolled around inside of the box and almost dropped the damn thing on my feet.......That must've been fun for the UPS guy.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have been studying casting of bullets. I plan to have a supply of lead on hand so I have been ordering lead. Every one I have bought lead from ships via USPS.

Posts: 4635 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it fits, it ships. I am a vendor on the cast boolits forum and sell lead when I have it available.Some vendors there ship up to 65 lbs in the large box. 30lbs is a perfect fit for the small flat rate box. I made some ingot molds so 4 7.5lb ingots fit. I have to handle it also and 30 lbs is about right for me. The post office appreciates it.

Posts: 300 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
word is they have a new delivery vehicle

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54681 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Razz

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15263 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post