SIGforum
Holy Flat Rate Box, Batman!

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6360043474

September 08, 2020, 03:47 PM
PHPaul
Holy Flat Rate Box, Batman!
I made big (negative...) points with the postmaster today.

Ordered a set of SWAG Offroad arbor plates for my 30 ton press. They're cut out of high strength grade 50-A572 steel plate. A pair of the 9.75 x 9.75 x 1 size came in a flat rate box. Weighed in at 67 pounds!

Seriously spendy, but very nice. Machined on both faces, absolutely flat and no scale.

I got tired of trying to scrounge up enough scrap steel to jury-rig a way to press stuff apart/together. These should be a major improvement.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
September 08, 2020, 03:51 PM
Edmond
Talk about getting your moneys worth. Big Grin

September 08, 2020, 03:53 PM
911Boss
Don’t hate the playa’, hate the game... Wink

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

September 08, 2020, 03:55 PM
Woodman
I had 32 pounds of lead bars arrive in the Small Flat Rate Box.

There was a guy in Alaska who shipped himself cinder blocks and bagged concrete ... REALLY pissed off the Service
September 08, 2020, 07:45 PM
sigcrazy7
My brother shipped me about 15,000 pieces of 223 brass from AK. Each box looked like a full tick and weighed in at over 50 pounds each. Seven boxes. Not a happy mail carrier that day.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus
September 08, 2020, 07:52 PM
Edmond
When I was a mail carrier for all of 4 months, we had a business on my route who sold clay. They used the flat rate boxes and during Christmas season would have dozens of the large flat rate boxes. I didn't mind as it was good exercise. Big Grin

September 08, 2020, 08:19 PM
mikeyspizza
70 pounds per package is the limit. Domestic Mail Manual
September 08, 2020, 08:37 PM
92fstech
I get flat rate boxes of bullets on a pretty regular basis that are just under the 70lb limit. My mail lady hates me Big Grin.
September 08, 2020, 08:39 PM
RogueJSK
Not flat rate, but I get 44 pound bags of dog food delivered monthly. I'm sure I'm not my mailman's favorite customer.

Interesting that it's cheaper for me to order it online, have it shipped cross-country, and get the mailman to lug it to my doorstep than it is for me to drive down to the store and schlep it home myself.
September 08, 2020, 11:28 PM
jimmy123x
The best is I had 2 group 31 AGM batteries shipped to me. They put each battery in a cardboard box about twice the size of the battery, no padding, no nothing. So when you picked the box up, the battery rolled around inside of the box and almost dropped the damn thing on my feet.......That must've been fun for the UPS guy.
September 09, 2020, 03:57 PM
armored
I have been studying casting of bullets. I plan to have a supply of lead on hand so I have been ordering lead. Every one I have bought lead from ships via USPS.
September 09, 2020, 05:46 PM
F_L
If it fits, it ships. I am a vendor on the cast boolits forum and sell lead when I have it available.Some vendors there ship up to 65 lbs in the large box. 30lbs is a perfect fit for the small flat rate box. I made some ingot molds so 4 7.5lb ingots fit. I have to handle it also and 30 lbs is about right for me. The post office appreciates it.
September 10, 2020, 02:34 PM
bendable
word is they have a new delivery vehicle

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
September 10, 2020, 03:12 PM
PHPaul
Big Grin Razz

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.