SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Microsoft word goes woke - suggests “correct” grammar
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microsoft word goes woke - suggests “correct” grammar Login/Join 
posted
Microsoft introduces new feature that suggests PC alternatives when someone types phrases that could offend snowflakes like 'mankind'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...PC-alternatives.html

Posts: 766 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
What a screwed up world we live in...

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Clown World™.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Being an old-time car guy, I've been amazed that the term "slave cylinder" (operates clutch actuation)is still allowed and commonly used.
In addition, the "master cylinder" controls the operation.
Then there's the master key and a number of other unwoke terms still out there the PC police seem to have missed.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Being an old-time car guy, I've been amazed that the term "slave cylinder" (operates clutch actuation)is still allowed and commonly used.
Then there's the master key and a number of other unwoke terms still out there the PC police seem to have missed.

They're working on it...

You've probably seen/heard that some realtors are avoiding the term master bedroom or master bath. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Engineering and automotive repair isn’t attractive to the politically correct types. They have gone after master/slave computer drives.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:

We can't have a master branch on github version control anymore. https://www.theserverside.com/...aster-branch-to-main

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Did you know that Office 2003 will install and function flawlessly on a Windows 10 machine? That's what I use and I don't feel like I'm missing anything at all.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Did you know that Office 2003 will install and function flawlessly on a Windows 10 machine? That's what I use and I don't feel like I'm missing anything at all.
Yes. I'm still running office 2007 on my Windows 10 machine. I've no reason to change.

Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Yup. I'm running Office 2010 on my Windows 10 and Windows 7 desktops. No problem.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s everywhere
The Boba Fet spaceship has been changed from Slave 1 to “Firefly” and the sand people are only referred to now as Tusken’s

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Two of the first things I disable on any new program or OS are spell check and grammar check.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, their OS is a flaming wreck. Glad they’ve focused on the real problem.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tn226:
Microsoft introduces new feature that suggests PC alternatives when someone types phrases that could offend snowflakes like 'mankind'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...PC-alternatives.html
So long as I can disable it, no big deal.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Guess I’ll get my white-privilege ass up, punch a grumpy in my Primary Bathroom and go into the Food-Prep Area (because I’m SURE “Kitchen” offends someone) and brew some java beans. GMAFB… Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Meanwhile, their OS is a flaming wreck. Glad they’ve focused on the real problem.
Well, that's the crux, isn't it. They're majoring in minors and making mountains out of imaginary molehills while the world burns under everyone else's feet.

Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
In the IT world it's being replaced with primary/secondary

quote:
Originally posted by sjames:
quote:

They're working on it...

You've probably seen/heard that some realtors are avoiding the term master bedroom or master bath. Roll Eyes

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2659 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Two of the first things I disable on any new program or OS are spell check and grammar check.

Why?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post

For anyone interested, this can be turned off in the MS Word options.
Go to Options --> Proofing --> "When correcting spelling and grammar in Word" section.
Choose settings and scroll down in the dialog shown to the "Inclusiveness" section and uncheck as needed.

None of the options were checked in mine. I am assuming this is by default since I have never even looked for this before.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the guide, Patrick.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post