SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Microsoft word goes woke - suggests “correct” grammar
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microsoft word goes woke - suggests “correct” grammar Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Maybe in the future you won't be able to save or send the item until it meets "societally accepted norms". Big Tech could solve the problem at the source.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Being an old-time car guy, I've been amazed that the term "slave cylinder" (operates clutch actuation)is still allowed and commonly used.
In addition, the "master cylinder" controls the operation.
Then there's the master key and a number of other unwoke terms still out there the PC police seem to have missed.

You missed out 'independent' suspension.

Pretty soon our woke 'friends will be looking for some kind of an alternative for that.

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonder if they will go after Master Lock Co.

Posts: 414 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Word is such a steaming mess. Always has been. I’d sooner run WordPerfect 5.1 in a DosBox than deal with this nonsense.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tn226:
Microsoft introduces new feature that suggests PC alternatives when someone types phrases that could offend snowflakes like 'mankind'

That would annoy the living bejesus out of me.

quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
For anyone interested, this can be turned off in the MS Word options.

Not so bad, then.

quote:
Originally posted by Calif Phil:
Wonder if they will go after Master Lock Co.

Don't see why not. ISTR reading they've already taken a shot at The Masters golf tournament. (Not to mention trying to get it moved from Augusta National because of its alleged exclusionary history.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Word is such a steaming mess. Always has been. I’d sooner run WordPerfect 5.1 in a DosBox than deal with this nonsense.

^^^^^
From your lips to me ears. WordPerfect is without a question far superior to Word.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

^^^^^
From your lips to me ears. WordPerfect is without a question far superior to Word.

Here's a neat historical perspective on the demise of WordPerfect and the ascendancy of MS-Word: How Did WordPerfect Go Wrong?

I know for a fact one big reason was
quote:

Or does the real blame lay with IT managers, and their bosses, who couldn't say no to Redmond?

More accurately: IT Managers' bosses.

About the time MS was trying to defeat WP and the other contenders, MS-Windows NT was trying to make inroads in the server space. They were getting nowhere with IT managers, who widely-regarded MS-Win NT "a toy." So MS shifted its efforts to IT Managers' bosses: The PHB's. MS said as much, in an InfoWorld article at the time. (I've ever since wished I'd had the foresight to save that article.)

It worked.

Another cause of WP's demise was, ironically, one of the things it had had as an advantage over MS-Word: It was fully cross-platform. But that also increased development and support costs, and prevented them from taking full advantage of a single platform, as MS-Word could.

SuperCalc was also far superior to MS-Excel and essentially lost-out to MS for the same reasons WP did to MS-Word.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I am using the latest version of Word. I just checked and the Inclusiveness nonsense is not checked so it (currently) is off by default. Now, if only there was a Divisiveness option...

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
For anyone interested, this can be turned off in the MS Word options.
Another- and better- way to avoid this is to refrain from giving these confused jerks any more money, whenever possible. Use an older version of Office, or use Open Office or some other equivalent.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Grammer & Refinements

Watching a Britain's video on proper cabinet scraper dressing (creating a proper burr for scraping wood)
the word BASTARD file triggered SYSTEM CONTROL Eek Fella was shocked!

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Grammer & Refinements

Watching a Britain's video on proper cabinet scraper dressing (creating a proper burr for scraping wood)
the word BASTARD file triggered SYSTEM CONTROL Eek Fella was shocked!

Hahaha!

That's kind of like sailing forums instituting word filters and including the word "cock." Problem was they'd flag and obfuscate words like "cockpit," which nearly any sizable sailboat has, "petcock," as on aux power engines, and so-on

posted Hide Post
I just checked my Office 365 Word. Indeed, those options do exist but they are turned off. Had my two software developer buddies check their "real" version of Word, options are there but turned off by default. So is the problem that those options can be turned on or the fact that they're even offered? It's a non issue for me and I do a fair amount of writing with Word as my go to word processor.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
To my credit, the MS Office license is provided by my employer.
I would not pay for it out of pocket.

I do have original Office 2003 installation disks from back in the day when I had my own MSDN license. (Microsoft Developer Network)

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I am still using Windows 7 and I can tell you that my original Office 97 works perfectly on it. Can't speak to Windows 10 but I would bet money that it would work just as well on that. You can get older versions of Office on Ebay all day long.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Two of the first things I disable on any new program or OS are spell check and grammar check.

Why?

Because they are wrong often enough that I have to waste time correcting the corrector. And I proofread. Even then mistakes get by, but not nearly as often as if I rely blindly on the auto stuff.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
A guy goes into a hardware store to buy some files. The clerk shows him several options, explaining that “These are your mill files, these are bastard files, etc.” After the customer looks them over, the clerk asks him what he wants. The customer responds “Give me one one of those bastards and a few of those other sons-a-bitches.”

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Do they allow "niggardly"?

My version of Word does not appear to have that "woke" option. Good.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven't used that program in years. Macs have a program for free. It meets my needs.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post