SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Poll for pet owners and getting them out down
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll for pet owners and getting them out down Login/Join 
posted
The elderly neighbor lady asked me to drive her to the vet last week.
It was time for the last ride for her 12 y.o. cat.

Well , as expected she was half a wreck .

But she was bawling like crazy when she came out, close to his hysterical be

She said she went in with the cat for the injections .

I didn't know that was an option.

I don't have , never had pets.

Question:
Do you go in with a pet when the time comes or do you say your good byes.
And depart ?

Choices:
I always go with the pet for the injections
No , I hand over the pet and depart

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54686 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
BTDT more times than I care to remember in the last 70 years.

Every time, without fail, I go in with them, pet them, comfort them, tell them what good dogs they are and bawl like a baby when they go.

The only thing that has changed over the years is that I pay the vet to dispose of the remains. Bringing them home to bury them has gotten too hard.

EDIT: While we're on the topic perhaps a vet can chime in and explain something to me: Why are there always two injections? One to sedate them, and then the overdose. Why not just give them the OD right from the get-go and not prolong the misery for both of us? I'm assuming there's a good reason, I just don't have a clue what it might be.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15267 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
+1 ^^^

One of the tougher thing’s I’ve had to do. Frown

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My last one years ago was done at the house. There was a mobile vet that specialized in that.

Bawled like a baby.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2365 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always hold the pet until they are gone.

Posts: 105 | Location: Idaho | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
My first set of kitties (two boys…brothers) lived to be 18. Wasn’t in town when the first was put down and said my (tearful) good-byes to the second one and left. My vet didn’t offer the option of staying. But this was back almost 20 years ago where staying might not have “been a thing”. I wish I would have been there for them getting put to sleep part. Yeah…think about them and miss them. Frown Frown

I have two girls now…sisters. They are 5 years old this month. Same vet, well…his son, takes care of them. You can bet the farm I will be there with them when it’s their time. Not gonna make that mistake again. And will hope to do it at home where they will be comfortable. Will GLADLY pay extra for that!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I always cry like a little child. But, I couldn't imagine not being there for my best buddy when the time comes, seems to me like the worst form of cowardice to lay this burden on another. And, I always dig the grave myself, by hand. It is literally the last thing I can do for my pal. I just hope that when Clark's time comes, I'll still be physically able to wield a shovel.

Posts: 6505 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I’d never leave them by themselves.

Posts: 3241 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Yep, there till the end. It's the least I can do for my companion. It's the hardest thing I've ever had to do, and have done it twice.

So bad, in fact, I wouldn't let myself have another cat for almost 15 years because I couldn't bear the thought of losing another one. Our 2 cats will be 5 this fall, so hopefully have another 10 years with them.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
BTDT more times than I care to remember in the last 70 years.

Every time, without fail, I go in with them, pet them, comfort them, tell them what good dogs they are and bawl like a baby when they go.

The only thing that has changed over the years is that I pay the vet to dispose of the remains. Bringing them home to bury them has gotten too hard.

EDIT: While we're on the topic perhaps a vet can chime in and explain something to me: Why are there always two injections? One to sedate them, and then the overdose. Why not just give them the OD right from the get-go and not prolong the misery for both of us? I'm assuming there's a good reason, I just don't have a clue what it might be.

Not a vet, but it's always been my understanding that they give a muscle relaxer when the owner stays because it can be unsettling when said pets twitch.

Absolutely hardest thing we ever had to do; I dread the day Mom and Dad have to take their current border collies in for their last vet visit.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3355 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Always. Always. ALWAYS.

Your pet deserves for their final moments to be spent at ease, being held by their beloved friend that has been the center of their life and their world for the entirety of their time on Earth.

I couldn't imagine abandoning them with some strangers, and having their final moments be spent scared and alone, wondering what was happening and where their Daddy went.

The type of person who would willing choose to subject their pets to that doesn't deserve to have pets in the first place.

Posts: 32547 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have been there as 5 dogs crossed the bridge. Our dogs always comforted us and we see it as our responsibility to comfort them as they leave us. It is without a doubt one of the most difficult things I have experienced.

It has been three years since our last. I miss them all.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 721 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can not let one of my two dogs leave this earth without being with them during their final moments.
I can not let them wonder where is my family or being scared of the people in the room during their last breaths.
That is the one job I have as a pet owner that will suck but I must do it. Their love have been unconditional for my family and me.

Posts: 18 | Registered: January 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It may be one of the hardest things to do, but I will be there every time.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43918 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spudgun:
Always hold the pet until they are gone.

This. You'll always remember the last breath they draw and the loving expression on their face as if saying, thank you, I don't want to hurt any longer. I'm tearing up just typing this remembering our sweet little Maltese which was 20 some years ago. The heart break from that caused us to not have another dog until recently, and we broke down and got a puppy.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Del A:
I can not let one of my two dogs leave this earth without being with them during their final moments.
I can not let them wonder where is my family or being scared of the people in the room during their last breaths.
That is the one job I have as a pet owner that will suck but I must do it. Their love have been unconditional for my family and me.

Very nicely said, thanks.

Posts: 1352 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
My dog was in my lap while I held her. I physically felt my heart die a bit.

Worst thing I have ever had to do to date.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Always. Always. ALWAYS.

Your pet deserves for their final moments to be spent at ease, being held by their beloved friend that has been the center of their life and their world for the entirety of their time on Earth.

I couldn't imagine abandoning them with some strangers, and having their final moments be spent scared and alone, wondering what was happening and where their Daddy went.

The type of person who would willing choose to subject their pets to that doesn't deserve to have pets in the first place.

X2!

I have gone in with a friend that had to put her beloved beagal down. She balled and balled. I stayed strong for her, but once I got her home I cried.

I have had to put down one dog, all the rest die in their sleep. The one, I didn't want to let her go, even after the injection. I cried like a little girl.

ARman

Posts: 3156 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recall reading an article by a vet pleading with owners to be with their pets when that time comes. She mentioned the difference between animals reactions when they are surrounded by strangers in a new and unfamiliar place, and when the pet is accompanied by the owner who pets and comforts them. She mentioned the animals who are alone look around the room, obviously looking for a familiar face. They are frightened and anxious. So yes, we stayed with our pets at that sad time.

Posts: 1057 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A terrible thing to put a pet down. I can't imagine just dropping my best buddy for over a decade off to be put down. My wife and I both go and comfort our family member in their last moments.

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post