SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are the essential oils Snake oil?? UPDATE: on the witchcraft page 3
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are the essential oils Snake oil?? UPDATE: on the witchcraft page 3 Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
The consensus on my last inquiry into the Himilayan Salt Lamp for strictly curiosity sake with no intention of buying was snake oil.

What about these essential oils specifically lavender or sleep blends?
Our 4 year old is the worst sleeper on the planet. It takes between 2 and 3 hours to get him to sleep then he generally wakes up twice throughout the night. Used to take an hour or so to get him back down but we are down to about 15 minutes on those. Then the kid will not sleep past 6 generally is up at 5. It is freaking miserable! The 2 year old on the other hand is awesome asks to go to bed between 7 and 7:30 and sleeps till 6.

Many peopls have suggested lavender or sleep blend essential oils in a diffuser to help the kiddo sleep.

So what says the greatest brain trust on earth? Legit or snake oil??

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25431 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
They MAY make things more comfortable, which could help relaxation and sleep, but are mostly snake oil when it comes to medicinal purposes.

Have you done sleep coaching? Typically, such a thing is geared towards a much younger child/infant. Have you looked for any medical reasons that sleep may be going so poorly?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17287 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My wife likes essential oils for their scent. She uses a few drops of oil with some water in a diffuser/vaporizer. Makes the house smell nice, and helps keep her classroom from reeking like dirty kids.

It's clear that certain oils have simple topical effects that are beneficial, like applying mint/pepper oils to soothe a sore muscle (similar to Icy Hot) or rubbing mint/camphor oils on your chest to help with congestion and coughing (similar to Vaporub).

But where they lose me is when essential oil true believers start talking about how drinking XYZ oil cures cancer, and rubbing ABC oil on your feet fixes insomnia, and putting three drops of DEF oil behind your right kneecap on the full moon improves memory and raises your IQ, etc. etc.

Nope. Bullshit. Essential oils have minor effects, if any. And they're certainly not a replacement for real medicine when faced with a serious issue.

Posts: 32532 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, there have been some small studies that indicate lavender may help calming for sleep:

http://www.umm.edu/health/medi...altmed/herb/lavender

quote:
A number of studies have reported that lavender essential oil may be beneficial in a variety of conditions, including insomnia, alopecia (hair loss), anxiety, stress, and postoperative pain. However, most of these studies have been small. Lavender is also being studied for antibacterial and antiviral properties. Lavender oil is often used in other forms of integrative medicine, such as massage, acupuncture, and chiropractic manipulation.

More info at the link.

I think you have to look at the claims for all the different 'essential oils' individually.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Theure not magic but can aid in sicknesses and mood. I really like atlas cedar in my difuser at night time. Its like being/sleeping outside.

Plenty of citrus types for waking up and getting the mind moving a bit faster.

Some help aid breathing like lavender and peppermint oil.

I can confirm oregano oil kills a plantars wart. My wife had one for 16 years and tries the freezings and everything. She got it in high school. An oil dealer recommended it so we thought why not. She used and a bandaid on a cotton ball and after a week the damn thing turned black. 2 more weeks it was gone. I was really surprised. The wife said it was painful the last few days as she didnt dilute it, but it worked.

I also use a homeade mosquito repellant out of a basic bland lotion, lemongrass oil, rosemary, and eucalyptus oil. Works for aboit 3 hours. I have had skeeters land on me and not bite. Itested this somewhat scientifically as they get me pretty bad.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Check out Dr. Axe on essential oils:

https://draxe.com/essential-oils-guide/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Nope. Bullshit. Essential oils have minor effects, if any. And they're certainly not a replacement for real medicine when faced with a serious issue.

This is mostly true but not quite always - the best example being wintergreen essential oil, which is about 97% methyl salicylate, which your body metabolizes into aspirin (salicylic acid).

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
They smell nice, which is okay.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Well, no.... in the sense they don't come from snakes...

But for "healing" or any other nonsense... yes. Total BS.

I mean, if you like the smell, sure. But not different than a scented candle.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The only ESSENTIAL oils out there that are actually useful are as follows

1. Bacon grease

2. Gun Oil - can be Rem Oil, slide glide, etc

3. Coconut oil - you know stripper oil

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34131 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
The only ESSENTIAL oils out there that are actually useful are as follows

1. Bacon grease

2. Gun Oil - can be Rem Oil, slide glide, etc

3. Coconut oil - you know stripper oil

Big Grin

I would just add:

4. Synthetic Motor Oil Of Your Choice - keeps the scooter running smoothly.

But seriously folks, aromas can be calming and calm is good. Other than that...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15253 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Unless the child is allergic to it all you can do it give it a try. Some people get relief, some don't.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Lavender keeps our dog moderately calm during storms.

Posts: 13746 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Essential oils - isn't

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
We use Dotera and generics. My daughter gets stuffy at night so we use a mix of breathe and on guard. Make sure you have fractionated coconut oil to dilute it. Full strength it will burn their skin.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7074 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
How's it for getting out stains?

Linky

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
It is a fact that certain oils have medicinal properties to them.

However, when you hear the over-the-top claims made by quacks using terms like "detoxify", it's usually best to run. If you've got a infected hangnail, get on some Keflex and pass on the oregano oil.

There is also a big difference between essential oils and fragrance oils. Avoid the latter.

Posts: 20121 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do they work? I do not know.

They keep the Mrs. Happy and that's worth their cost.

Posts: 7021 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I am amused by the online queries asking which combination of oils will address whatever ailment.
Yes, certain plant oils have benefit, but no, it will not cure your little kipper's screaming fits.

Some of these folks have kinda gone off the deep end.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Essentially.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post