SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which dashcam do you have?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which dashcam do you have? Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
I think it’s time to get one.

I don’t need the “best”. What I would like it a no wires showing easy to install and operate version.

An SD card is fine. Bluetooth and saved to the phone might be an option too if it’s not crazy expensive.

I’m doing some research but does anyone have firsthand experience?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6340 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Hi OttoSig,

There are a number of threads on dash cams you can look up. Many include links to independent dash cam "side by side" comparisons.

However, to answer your question, I run Viofo a229 duo cameras in 3 vehicles. This brand usually wins the best budget camera year after year and I've been using their products for about 5 years.

There are both front and rear cameras and also "parking lot" protection as well.

The cost, including the direct wiring kit, polarizing lense for the front camera, and the fuse kit so you can very easily tap into your fuse box, was $280 per car. These were purchased to replace Viofo a119 front only cameras.

You can buy direct from Viofo in China or on Amazon.

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have this one now. I still have the Garmin forward facing GPS cam running, too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14479...676?var=444013318691

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34137 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Rove 4K
https://www.rovedashcam.com/pr...ve-r2-4k-car-dashcam

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25441 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have a Viofo a129 duo (both a camera in windshield and a camera on rear window) with the circular polarizing lens (CPL). Highly recommend:
  • buying a CPL as it reduces reflections and glare.
  • buying a model with both front and rear cameras. I want to capture license plates and faces in case somebody runs after rear ending me. If somebody drives off after sideswiping me I want an image of the predamaged vehicle before it hits me and damaged vehicle after it hits me.
  • buying a recommended one from dashcamtalk.com. See below for more logic.
    quote:
    Originally posted by h2oys:
    There are a number of threads on dash cams you can look up. Many include links to independent dash cam "side by side" comparisons.
    I'm probably the one including the links to "side by side" dash cam reviews such as dashcamtalk as it's how I bought both of mine. Sigforumites mean well with their recommendations but buy one or two and use them for several years even though:
  • it's a rapidly changing technology (e.g. the sensor chip). For example, my purchase from 2 years ago is obsolete enough that I wouldn't buy exact model again, but not obsolete enough to yet warrant spending money.
  • It's a limited data point for quality. These reviewers run multiple in parallel which means under the same conditions (e.g. rain, night, direct sunlight) you can see which performs better. The highest cost of the 3 to 6 dashcams is often not the best performer.
  • they are happy with their purchase even though it lacks the resolution to capture license plates and other driver's face. To me that's not enough resolution and the recommended ones that can do this start at $98.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23312 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of OttoSig
    posted Hide Post
    Did yall install yourself?

I can run wires but it the fuse box tapping straight forward?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6340 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Gone but Together Again.
    Dad & Uncle
    Picture of h2oys
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by OttoSig:

Yes and yes.the hardest part is deciding what “always on” fuse to tap for parking mode and then “on when car is on” for driving mode.

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    I installed myself. I bought the hardwire kit and the add a tap for the fuse block. However, I never used it as my truck had a 2nd USB power connection I wasn't using and even more important it was closer to the camera than the fuse block.

The little plastic pry and clips tools for car stereos was handy and they're $7 to $10. I was able to slip the wire behind the headliner, and inside the A-pillar plastic cover. I added 3 clips out of sight on the back side of my dash which got the wire to the outlet.

As far as the rear camera, I used the same pry tools to run the wire from the rear unit to the front unit. The front unit records data for both units and provides power for rear unit.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23312 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Eschew Obfuscation
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    I have a Viofo a129 duo

This is the one I have as well. However, I have yet to get around to installing the rear-facing camera. Eek

Black Box My Car is also a great resource for dashcams and info.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6421 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I have been using a pro installed VanTrue. It survived the cold winter nicely, which is a big dashcam concern here in the Yoop.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
    Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16117 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    come and take it
    posted Hide Post
    I was looking for the easiest and I think it is a Garmin mini2, cost is just over $100 + memory card and a dongle (wire for power). If your rearview mirror is powered with a wire to automatically switch from day to night you can have it installed in 5 minutes. Buy the dongle and borrow some power from the rear view mirror. Connects via wifi to the phone app.

I believe in drive cams. I managed a fleet of 15 buses and 30 Drivers for 15 years and we saved ourselves several headaches when an officer wrote up a ticket showing my Driver at fault in an accident. Video showed otherwise and we did not pay out.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1893 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    If you see me running
    try to keep up
    Picture of mrvmax
    posted Hide Post
    I’ve been using Thinkware brand dash cams on my vehicles for several years now. I was moving my Daughter out of state in a moving truck and decided to buy a Garmin to use on the drive when moving. The first one I got did not work and I had to return it. The second one gave me some trouble connecting via WiFi. Never had trouble with the Thinkware.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Do they make a cam that doesn't have to be hardwired in? Rechargeable? My wife's car is under warranty and I don't want to void it by doing something stupid with the wiring.

Posts: 2128 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of mark60
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by oldfireguy:
    Do they make a cam that doesn't have to be hardwired in? Rechargeable? My wife's car is under warranty and I don't want to void it by doing something stupid with the wiring.

Most if not all can plug into a 12V socket (lighter plug) The problem with that is they can pop out. I got rear ended a couple years ago and got hit so hard the dashcam plug and radio trim popped.

Posts: 3467 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Raised Hands Surround Us
    Three Nails To Protect Us
    Picture of Black92LX
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by OttoSig:

quote:
    Originally posted by oldfireguy:

Check here and see if they have one for your vehicle.
    Makes for a super quick and easy install.
    https://dongar.tech/

————————————————
    The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
    If we got each other, and that's all we have.
    I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
    You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25441 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I second what Black92X said on Dongar. If you’ve got an auto dim mirror it makes the install a plug and play. No worries about the car warranty.

Posts: 190 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Shaman
    Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

I also have this one:

I ran the wire under the headliner, under the door seal then und the dash to the receptacle.

The rear one I ran the wire under the head liner and stuffed all the extra under the headliner.

It's a really clean install.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39769 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Never miss an opportunity
    to be Batman!
    Picture of jsbcody
    posted Hide Post
    I have a Dongar adapter with Garmin Dash Camera Mini 2.

Posts: 3954 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of lkdr1989
    posted Hide Post
    Just bought the Viofo A229 Pro w/rear camera. Had the Viofo A119 V3 but realized I needed a rear camera setup and returned it and got the A229.

So far, I'm pretty happy with it, pretty good quality.

Next project is hardwiring it so I don't have to use the USB cable & Aux power port.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4337 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Striker in waiting
    Picture of BurtonRW
    posted Hide Post
    I’ve been using a StreetGuardian unit for years. Very happy with the performance, features, and form factor.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post