SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which dashcam do you have?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which dashcam do you have? Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thinkware and Blackvue are two of the biggest makers. I’ve had both. My wife’s car has the Viofo A229 that’s been mentioned. It was the first out with Sony’s newest sensor. It’s been great camera too. Blackboxmycar.com is your one stop shop. Highly recommended

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7065 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Another VIOFO A229 user here. I decided not to hardwire and just plugged into my USB. This still allows it to turn on and off when I turn the car on and off, unlike when it was plugged in to the 12V, where I had to turn on and off manually. I believe they mention the benefit of the hardwire route allows for the parking mode, as it always has power, but won’t drain your battery. I got it for $179.99 on lightning deal on Amazon a couple months ago. I’ve liked it so far, videos look good. It requires a micro sd card, but if you download the app, you can save video via WiFi to your phone. It has a WiFi button that when you turn it on, you can locate it on your phone and connect into it that way. I don’t believe you can access it via phone without having the camera on, WiFi setting on, and being in range of the WiFi.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, was just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2545 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
There's a Blackvue DR590X-2CH combo on Blackboxmycar that keeps getting my attention (Link). Anyone here got experience with this?

The things that get my attention first about this setup are 1) small size, and 2) it comes from South Korea rather than from China.

God bless America.

Posts: 13864 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I’ve had several Blackvues over the past 15 years or so. Been very happy with them. Expensive but excellent. I also have a battery backup that allows me to record for over 24hrs with the car off.

They have all paid for themselves as unfortunately there are lots of lying assholes hitting other peoples cars.

Posts: 1823 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
As Black92 said in two posts on the first page, Rove camera with Dongar wiring adapter.

When choosing a camera, I realized that there really isn't that much difference between brands of cameras, but tech support / customer support is a different question. Both Rove and Garmin are supported by folks who are based right here in the continental U.S.A., their first language is English, and they are very responsive. I chose Rove based on small size and price.

Dongar has adapters that will plug into the power supply for the newer type rear view mirror. The adapter has step-down circuitry to convert the vehicles 12-volt supply down to the 5-volt that the dash camera needs (same type as in the cigarette lighter plug that comes with the camera). Using this setup, I have maybe a couple inches of wiring visible. Very nice installation. I'll post photo later.

The Rove camera has wifi capability, will connect to a smartphone using that.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31383 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To those who have cameras, how far away can you read a license plate, if at all. And under what conditions? Bright daylight will be vastly better than night or low light situations.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In reading the various “dash-cam” threads over the years I always thought it would be a good idea to get one but never pulled the trigger to purchase one.

These days it seems with so many distractions (mobile phones, in-vehicle electronics, etc.) and everyone in a rush all of the time, late yellow into red light runners, and more close calls / near misses than ever, I too am thinking that it IS time to get one.

The website that coolrich posted, https://www.blackboxmycar.com/ , has a lot of great information and a nice “dash-cam” finder to help you id two or three models to meet your needs. You will need to provide an e-mail address to get the results (on-line and e-mailed to you).

I am leaning Viofo A229 Plus 2K 2-Channel for now but still have a bit of research to go.

Posts: 3578 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
This video is long - almost 18 minutes. But, it's informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AnyhHl3_tE

Of all the enemies that the American citizen faces, the Democrat Party is the very worst.

Posts: 10830 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
The Viofo A119 V3, not all it's raved about

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8671 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
The Viofo A119 V3, not all it's raved about

Is it image quality?

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6618 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been a Garmin user since the early 90's and their customer service is 100% first class. When I determined that a dashcam was a good idea I naturally went with Garmin. In my case it's a DC57 and when I had a road rager go flat out nuts I had video of him going into oncoming traffic while running a red light in a construction zone to get ahead of me and block me into the single traffic lane. Then he proceeded to throw a screaming fit until I yelled that 911 was on the way so just stick around. Naturally he then got back in his car and ran. The next day I took that video to the local PD. Unfortunately this is Michigan so civilians aren't permitted to file traffic charges but it was enough for my PD to call that drivers PD to go and have a talk with him.

PS; I did call 911 during this incident but with no injuries occurring they bounced my call to local dispatch who stated that a car wouldn't be available for 45 minutes.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5765 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My wife also gifted me a Garmin DC57 for Christmas. Does everything I think it needs to. I just use the cigarette lighter plug, and do not mind the cord hanging from the mirror.

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
None. I refuse to participate in social crediting. This is what I see here. I don’t rate my “experience “ at Walmart or any other place. The show black Mirrors proved that. Frown at someone and your social score drops. Woke shit that I’ll have nothing to do with.

Posts: 136 | Registered: December 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Imabmwnut:
None. I refuse to participate in social crediting. This is what I see here. I don’t rate my “experience “ at Walmart or any other place. The show black Mirrors proved that. Frown at someone and your social score drops. Woke shit that I’ll have nothing to do with.

W T F are you talking about?

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6618 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Did you decide on a camera setup, Mr Otto?

God bless America.

Posts: 13864 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought the VIOFO A229 PRO and had it professionally installed.

Posts: 4777 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Rove 4K
https://www.rovedashcam.com/pr...ve-r2-4k-car-dashcam

I am using the same one. I'm pleased. $75.00 on Amazon.

Posts: 1654 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
An old Viofo G1W-S

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I have been thinking of one for a long time. The video Jsbcody posted is good. A simple no wiring solution. Any idea how much something like that would cost?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19706 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^

The little Garmin shown in his video lists at $129. ( Garmin link)

God bless America.