SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What was YOUR first car?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What was YOUR first car? Login/Join 
posted
Reading through Dave Truong's thread about a first car for his son got me reminiscing about my first car. It was a 65 mustang that cost me $500, and included gold shag carpet. Built a lot of memories with that car: first speeding ticket, letting a friend borrow it who then crashed it into a parked car a few minutes later, pushing it through too many intersections to count after it broke down on me, and LOTS of fun times hanging out or driving around with friends. That mustang forced me to learn a lot about working on cars prior to the internet. It seemed all my money from my high school job went into that car, and it was a nice-looking ride at that time! When I went to college the car was simply a means to get me to and from school and work, and I had no money and no time, so that good looking ride was just about run into the ground. I've held onto it all these years though and slowly worked on it as family, work and financial commitments have allowed. I drive it around the neighborhood every so often, but it mostly sits in the garage now.

Would love to hear what your first car was, and any special memories or fun stories related to it!

(And Dave, I definitely don't recommend a 65 mustang as your son's first car!)

Posts: 75 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: July 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
1970 Pontiac Bonneville w/ a 455...370 HP, 560 ft lbs Torque! Cool

First modification was to turn over the air cleaner cover, increasing the flow to that big Q-jet! Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8956 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
1954 Olds 98, it was a car my dad bought in the 60's from the owner of the Paris KY John Deere dealers dad, he had traded it in at the local Olds dealer for a new car, Dad rushed to buy it for $500, it had very few miles on it.

Went from Mom to my Grandfathers and blew a head gasket, sat under a tree for 10 plus years in SE MO, I played in that car as a little kid, and on my 16th they had fixed the engine and radiator, and drove it back across KY from SE MO. Drove it all through high school and college, had no place to keep it and sold it, which was stupid....

Think about finding it all the time, still have a copy of the last KY Title.

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
1990 2 Door Honda Accord. Thought I was so cool! First car had a sun roof. I took that little honda down some super sketch logging trails I'd have buddies get their trucks stuck in.

It's amazing I didn't trash that car the abuse 16 year old me put that poor car through.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8857 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
1953 Chrysler, with a straight 8 flathead. What a tank! I think you could jump up & down on the hood & it wouldn't even put a dent in it.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'67 Cougar named Gretchen. Tree & I survived, Gretchen didn't.

Posts: 656 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
A 1966 Chevy Impala. I bought it for $250 and then spent $500 for a stereo and speakers.

I used to leave the keys under the mat. Once my friends discovered I did, I found that they liked to “borrow” it when I was at work. Roll Eyes

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6425 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'67 VW Beetle.

Posts: 794 | Location: York Pa. | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
1955 Chevy, worn out 6 banger 3 speed, 2 door with a blanket on the seat hiding the lack of a seat cover. $150.00
Was 1965, Good old days. !967 drove it To Phoenix, AZ. Made it there but blew the engine on the way back to Indiana in Tucumcari, NM. Frown

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1537 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
In 1992 my mother rented a limousine to pick me up after school for my birthday. I had always been interested in limos growing up. Didn't really know what to do in it, but knew that I had to have one. As it dropped me off at home I beelined over to my neighbor's house and rang his doorbell. He owned a Lincoln dealership, and as it drove past I asked if he could help me acquire one.

My first car was a dark blue 1986 Lincoln Town Car 62" stretch.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15731 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 1963 GMC Pickup with a 292 CI inline 6.

It was my Grand Dad's last farm truck and was manufactured the year I was born.

Posts: 1076 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
1971 Chev Camaro, I bought it from a neighbor in 1982.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1899 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
1970 BMW 2002 I bought for $800 when I was 16.

Posts: 3559 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1967 Plymouth Valiant with a 225 slant six automatic. A bare bones 4 door sedan without a radio. I also flipped the air cleaner cover and increased the top speed from 98 to a blazing 102mph!

Posts: 774 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
My first was a 1969 Cutlass 4dr sedan. Burgundy with black interior. You had to have seat covers other wise in the summer you couldn't wear shorts in the car lest you leave skin on the seats.

It was in every way an Urban Assault Vehicle and had that bumper sticker in the back window.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38005 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
1993 Mercury Tracer. I rolled it 3-4 times on a back road when I was 16. Almost broke my neck, but I did walk away.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17305 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
'72 Capri I bought with paper route money from when I was 9-10, never drove and my dad sold out from under me.

'74 Pontiac LeMans I bought with additional savings and drove all through high school years. Loved that car.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12443 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
1992 powder blue Ford Crown Victoria. It has a plush front bench seat. It was like driving a couch.

Posts: 6352 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
'70 Cutlass. $300. Washed dishes and bussed tables that summer to pay for it.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
My 1967 GTO I still have. I worked for my grandfather cutting grass for 2 summers after 6th & 7th grade. I then got a job at a Dunkin Donuts just down from my house in the fall of 1986. Worked every weekend from 6 AM - 12 PM and a few days every week after school. I had $5,000 saved by Spring of 1988 and bought the GTO. It was a father-son project, which took about 8 years to complete. Completely restored it...never again! But, I still have it and drive it to this day.

Posts: 5768 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post