SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What was YOUR first car?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What was YOUR first car? Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
1983 turd brown Honda Civic 4 door.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7096 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
1955 Chrysler New Yorker. It weighed a ton and drank gas like it was going out of style. That was in 1970. I sold some parts off it and sold it for scrap.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4023 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
My first car was a 1973 PLYMOUTH SATELLITE SEBRING.
I was 15 years old at the time. Totaled it on Christmas Day 1974.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4838 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
My first 3 cars were:

1966 VW Beetle.
Faded blue paint with a powerful 1300cc engine.

1974 Chevy Vega.
This one burned a lot of oil.

1964 Chevy Impala 4 door.
I bought it for $25.
2 tone black and rust.
Pieces would tend to fall off the chassis. At least one shock absorber wound up lying at the side of the road.

Posts: 4140 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
1976 Chevy Malibu Classic.

My brother had it as his first car, then it became my first car, and then became a friend of mine first car. Who knows how many other first time drivers it had.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8698 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1977 Datsun 280Z Bought used for $6000 in 1981 from a very generous family friend. Exact amount of our class deal car loan out of the Coast Guard Academy. Loved that car. Was totaled in an accident in 84, rear ended by a Navy wife in Pensacola. I got over it. Barely Smile

Posts: 1138 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Granny gold 1994 Toyota Corolla, 5SP manual.
Bought it from my mother in 2001. Wish I still owned it.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9713 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfan Roy:
1977 Datsun 280Z Bought used for $6000 in 1981 from a very generous family friend. Loved that car. Was totaled in an accident in 84, rear ended by a Navy wife in Pensacola. I got over it. Barely Smile

I would still be looking for a way to prosecute her ass. Smile

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4838 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Hand me down ‘64 Ford Falcon. My second car was a 68 VW bug. That got me through LE tech school at Alexandria, MN. Driving home almost every weekend 153 Miles door to door. Sometimes through blizzard conditions. I made a list of every motor vehicle I have owned throughout my lifetime. It’s pretty amazing! There are some I wish I never sold.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4862 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1938 Chevy 2 door sedan. I paid $25 for it. The crankcase was full of rear end lube that I didn't know about. changed the oil and the rod began to knock.

Sold the wheels/tires for $25(for a hay trailer) and the rest for scrap metal.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

1982 Mercedes-Benz 240D 4 cylinder, non-turbo diesel that made about 64hp
Wow! You had the high powered version. The 1978 240D that I picked up at the factory delivery location in Sindelfingen was only 62 hp.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30843 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
1971 Ford Pinto. Bought in 1975.

It had more 'road-hugging weight' than the Chevy Vega!

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member of FPC, GOA, 2AF & Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2851 | Location: Tucson Sector | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
1973 1/2, MGB GT

when the battery died, I'd just park on a slight incline (not really necessary. but helped), give her a little push, jump in, pop the clutch, and away we go

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2018 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
First one that I drove was a hand-me-down from my brother, a 1989 S10 with the 4.3L V6. Back then it sure seemed fast.

First one I bought for myself was a 2007 Mazda3.

Posts: 3667 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
1982 Chevrolet Cavalier 4-door.

Posts: 1699 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
1994 Mitsibishi Mighty Max. My first car that was, mine.

My friends called it the "maxi-pad". It was all white, 2 wd, and the 4 banger blew a head on a regular basis. I rebuilt the engine 3 times before trading it in after graduating tech school at Sheppard AFB. Good old predatory lending of the nineties.... 19% interest rate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13964 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
1971 Ford Pinto. Bought in 1975.

It had more 'road-hugging weight' than the Chevy Vega!
That was my 3rd new car! Mine had the larger optional engine and a/c, and it could drive through loose sand as if it had tracks. I sold the 1966 Mustang in Iran and bought the Pinto when I returned to the states. Drove it 9 years and sold it in Germany when I retired from USAF. Great little car. Bought a new 1980 Mercury Cougar and ended up in Dallas. Six years later traded it in for a new 1986 Mustang GT (5.0L. dual exhausts, manual trans)--loved it! Was my Daily Driver for 20 years! Sold it after I bought my current DD, a 2006 Mustang GT. (I've never owned a 4-wheeled vehicle that was not made by Ford.)

I've got a rebuilt 1966 Mustang in the garage along with my 2006. It doesn't get much use, though.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first car was a Cutlass I bought for 600 bucks, kept it for about 2 weeks before I loss control and hit a telephone pole. Second car was a 1981 Toyota Corolla, great car and way under powered which was good because it kept me out of trouble but it was still fast enough to earn me a few speeding tickets.

Posts: 1643 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1964 International Travelall(think chevy suburban). The owner was moving and couldn't take it with him. He said if I helped him move I could have it. Three 400 mile trips later it was mine. Didn't run, I chain towed it to the high school, I was a Senior, and worked on it in auto shop class. Drove it for several years in college, not exactly a chick magnet! Had a home made oak bumper on the front. I mounted a vice in the back and repaired cars at peoples homes to work my way through school. During breaks at school I would drive people home. I had a bag of sleeping bags and winter boots always in the truck so people could stay somewhat warm. I sold it to a guy that was running away from his wife. He planned on living out of a tee pee making his way across the country. Don't know how that worked out! God I miss that truck! And those days!

Jim

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
1972 Audi 100 LS. Wish I still had it. It was nearly perfect when I sold it for around $600 in 1990 or so. Used to know where all the Audi 100's were in the Junkyards of Louisville back in the day (in order to keep it running).

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2277 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post