SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What was YOUR first car?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What was YOUR first car? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
According to Wikipedia, the OM616 in the 240D was bumped from 64 to 71 in 1978.
It was 62 hp. Wikipedia did not own a 1978 240D. I did. Eighteen years and coming up on half million miles when I sold it.

Had a 83 300D Turbo, with a whopping 123 HP, the Turbo was a necessity because without one the MB 3 litre 5 cyl was a dog. Great car the W123, they run forever when taken care of properly

After my 240D was killed, I replaced it with a 82 300SD, same 5cyl turbo diesel.
A bit peppier, but still a slow car.
Found out when we sold it that the wastegate was stuck open, so it never made any boost :P
Probably would've kept driving it, had it been working properly

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15486 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an old Jeep XJ 4 door with a junk/salvage title. I loved having it until I started having electronics issues and the AC system died. I had to replace the evaporator, compressor, and spend some bucks troubleshooting everything. And that still didn't fix all the random issues and codes that cropped up.

I still wish I had it to play around with and drive off-road, but I'm driving Toyotas now. I'm no expert, but under a shade tree it's a night and day difference in quality and better engineering.

Posts: 723 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
1950's era English Ford Anglia

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16298 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
After my 240D was killed, I replaced it with a 82 300SD, same 5cyl turbo diesel.

SD was a bit bigger too, being an "S" class body style, my dad and mom went to Germany and took delivery of a 300SD might have been a 82. They drove it around in Germany for a week, then dropped it for shipping to the USA.

When it came into port in Baltimore I flew up to drive it home. The Blaupunkt Radio was missing, stolen from it in transit or at the Port in Europe. So a nice long trip from Baltimore to Lexington KY with no radio.

Car still had the Germany plates on it front and back, I had all the papers, stopped in Northern WV to stretch and a couple came up asking if I spoke english LOL, they saw the Euro plates and figured I was from overseas. It was a fun trip and a great car, with the turbo working it was quite a bit faster...

Posts: 23696 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
A 1967 Pontiac Firebird with a 400 big block V-8. Candy Apple Red with a black vinyl top.

Bought it in mid 1988 for $1,000 cash with my own money I earned washing dishes and doing line work and prep work in a local restaurant, age 15

It sat in the driveway until the day I turned 16 and had my DL and was legal to drive it. I'm still not sure how I'm still alive thinking back to how I drove that thing, all I can say is God's protection and guardian angels are VERY real.

Posts: 34007 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Technically there are NO 'big block' (or 'small block') Pontiac V8s...Just Pontiac V8s! They are all 'stump pullers' though... Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nhracecraft,

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9044 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

SD was a bit bigger too, being an "S" class body style, my dad and mom went to Germany and took delivery of a 300SD might have been a 82. They drove it around in Germany for a week, then dropped it for shipping to the USA.

When it came into port in Baltimore I flew up to drive it home. The Blaupunkt Radio was missing, stolen from it in transit or at the Port in Europe. So a nice long trip from Baltimore to Lexington KY with no radio.

Car still had the Germany plates on it front and back, I had all the papers, stopped in Northern WV to stretch and a couple came up asking if I spoke english LOL, they saw the Euro plates and figured I was from overseas. It was a fun trip and a great car, with the turbo working it was quite a bit faster...

Coming from the 240D, the 300 was a nice increase in power, even without boost.
2nd gear would kick hard enough to step the rear out, in the rain.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15486 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1951 Mercury 2-dr, belonged to Catholic group, $250. Worked at A&P grocery store stocking shelves, price marking stock, and unloading trucks. Senior in HS, got out at noon to go to work, so got 40 hours most weeks. Got t-boned by a drunk. Got a settlement and bought ‘53 Olds Super 88. Nice ride and fast. This was in 1957.

NRA Endowment Member
USAF 1958-1970
Master Instructor 1969-1970
Georgia Gun Owners Member

Posts: 237 | Location: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: February 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
1961 Impala that I attempted to drive through a stone wall outside of Philly. The car fared much better than the stone wall or me!

Posts: 674 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
1982 Chevrolet Cavalier, given to me by my parents in 1990 (was my brother's first car too but he was smart enough to save up and buy his own car).

I know beggars can't be choosers but this car was garbage and my first experience with GM was not a positive one.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4538 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1958 I was 16 and purchased a 1932 Ford for $100. Payments were $20/month. My second car was 1946
Ford Convertible, eventually installed V8 olds engine. That's what young kids did in those days.
Always liked going fast and loud!

Posts: 152 | Location: west Florida | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Old Vark WSO
posted Hide Post
Got my first car in college - a one owner ‘69 Impala 2-door Sport Coupe. Was a little different from most - it had an L36 427 with a factory Muncie four speed gear box. It was in great shape with low miles. It was the late ‘70s and gas prices were climbing, so the 12 city/16 hwy was tough on my college wallet. Drove it all through school and first several years in the military. Right before heading to Europe for a four year assignment, I sold it to a friend who collected Impalas. Thought he was going to restore it a bit, but he flipped it for a profit. Wish I had hung on to it. Found this photo online that is a nearly identical car - except for the wheels - mine had some pretty nice wheel covers with the Chevy bow tie. And if I remember correctly, the AM radio antenna was in the back fender.

Posts: 79 | Location: Biggest Little City in the World | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Graduated from college in 1970. Bought a Plymouth Duster w/360 cu/in motor and a 5 speed tranny. What a beast!

Posts: 3400 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2012 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
1977 Ford F-100 with a 351. Bought it in 1994 a couple months after I turned 16. I'd love to have it back!!

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 588 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7640 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old Vark WSO:
Got my first car in college - a one owner ‘69 Impala 2-door Sport Coupe. Was a little different from most - it had an L36 427 with a factory Muncie four speed gear box. It was in great shape with low miles. It was the late ‘70s and gas prices were climbing, so the 12 city/16 hwy was tough on my college wallet. Drove it all through school and first several years in the military. Right before heading to Europe for a four year assignment, I sold it to a friend who collected Impalas. Thought he was going to restore it a bit, but he flipped it for a profit. Wish I had hung on to it. Found this photo online that is a nearly identical car - except for the wheels - mine had some pretty nice wheel covers with the Chevy bow tie. And if I remember correctly, the AM radio antenna was in the back fender.

What a sleeper!!!

Posts: 875 | Location: Louisiana and Florida | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
My first car was a 1965 Plymouth Satellite two door hard top, 383 four barrel four speed with a Hurst shifter, 373 possitrack . Gold with a black vinyl top and black interior. Bucket seat and a console. The only luxury item it had was power brakes. It would sure go.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
A 1967 Pontiac Firebird with a 400 big block V-8. Candy Apple Red with a black vinyl top.

Bought it in mid 1988 for $1,000 cash with my own money I earned washing dishes and doing line work and prep work in a local restaurant, age 15

It sat in the driveway until the day I turned 16 and had my DL and was legal to drive it. I'm still not sure how I'm still alive thinking back to how I drove that thing, all I can say is God's protection and guardian angels are VERY real.

Pics:

Posts: 34007 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
A 1963 Ford Econoline van.

Posts: 551 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post