SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Columbia House is closing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Columbia House is closing Login/Join 
Member
posted
Thought they had disappeared at least twenty years ago, but no!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/mone...dfe1452d77fd8c&ei=23
 
Posts: 4137 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Tearing out those little record sticker was a bitch sometimes!!

Changing your name a few times while still living at home also meant a bunch of records for a couple bucks. Wink






Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.



"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...



 
Posts: 15033 | Location: It was CA., Now it's "FREEEEEEDOM!!" (TN) | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Finally, it's safe for me to come out of hiding.
 
Posts: 22225 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Them sumbitches have been after me since 1974.

YOU CAN'T HOLD JUVENILES TO A CONTRACT, YOU SHARKS!!!
 
Posts: 114934 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I still owe them 14.95



You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier
 
Posts: 30904 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I used them to greatly expand my CD collection as a college student. I must have signed up 5 or 6 times and mailed in the stupid stamps.

There used to be a really crummy bank chain called Bank One and they moved the decimal on my check when processing payment to Columbia House (e.g. 1.49 paid on $14.99 check). It has been 34 years, but I clearly remember Columbia house's bill collection department was relentless while I dealt with the incompetent bank.



Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
 
Posts: 25809 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Glad I'm not the only one. Big Grin


________________________________________________________
It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it.
 
Posts: 23110 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Yup, sure added to my cd collection back in the day. I thought they had gone out of business years ago.
 
Posts: 6111 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

There used to be a really crummy bank chain called Bank One and they moved the decimal on my check when processing payment to Columbia House (e.g. 1.49 paid on $14.99 check). It has been 34 years, but I clearly remember Columbia house's bill collection department was relentless while I dealt with the incompetent bank.
Back in the early 1990s, I sent a check to Discover Card. $3,000.00 -- some moron at Discover slipped the decimal point and credited my account for $30

Discover ignored my communication regarding this and sold the "$2,700.00 debt" to a collection agency. Collection agency, which now owned the account, tried the usual strong-arm tactics. I sent them a copy of the canceled check and told them that I would be happy to face them in court. Never heard from them again.



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
 
Posts: 33801 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
And the banks destroy checks as soon as they process it. No longer send it back to the account holder.

I thought they went out of business in the early 90’s.
 
Posts: 55334 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I think I still owe them money.
 
Posts: 1456 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
And I was just about to order an 8-track of The Partridge Family
 
Posts: 55334 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
^^IIRC, my first batch of 8-tracks from them included The Guess Who's, Steppenwolf, and Linda Ronstadt's Great Hits (to that time). Still have most of my cassette tapes. Dropped my membership after they sent me a couple of the automatic selections before the reply date (usually Madonna). Usually paid them with USPS money orders.
 
Posts: 4137 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I can still hear Dick Clark telling me to open the TV Guide for the 2-page AD and ordering info....
 
Posts: 5559 | Location: NH | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I can see it might be a losing proposition to lend some of you any money....


Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.
 
Posts: 4726 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
They still owe me a Fleetwood Mac 8-track I think.


******************************************************************************
Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .



 
Posts: 7815 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
How did they stay in business years after music streaming was possible? Who and how many people were still buying from them? I thought they went under 30 years ago.


No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain
 
Posts: 3952 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I bought plenty of 8 tracks from them. Had no idea they were still around, guess that even with the resurgence of vinyl they couldn't make it.
 
Posts: 703 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I loved the 12 fo a penny campaigns. But my last interaction before things went south was getting a refund / album credit for Milli Vanilli. I forget what cassette I ordered but do remember that was the last time I really ever did it.



This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson
 
Posts: 3915 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
You sure this isn’t just a trick. I am not sure that I am ready to come out of hiding yet.
 
Posts: 18744 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Columbia House is closing

© SIGforum 2026