SIGforum
Columbia House is closing

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6310038125

August 17, 2026, 03:48 PM
rat2306
Columbia House is closing
Thought they had disappeared at least twenty years ago, but no!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/mone...dfe1452d77fd8c&ei=23
August 17, 2026, 04:01 PM
LS1 GTO
Tearing out those little record sticker was a bitch sometimes!!

Changing your name a few times while still living at home also meant a bunch of records for a couple bucks. Wink






Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.



"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...



August 17, 2026, 04:34 PM
cas
Finally, it's safe for me to come out of hiding.
August 17, 2026, 04:48 PM
parabellum
Them sumbitches have been after me since 1974.

YOU CAN'T HOLD JUVENILES TO A CONTRACT, YOU SHARKS!!!
August 17, 2026, 04:54 PM
darthfuster
I still owe them 14.95



You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier
August 17, 2026, 05:19 PM
tatortodd
I used them to greatly expand my CD collection as a college student. I must have signed up 5 or 6 times and mailed in the stupid stamps.

There used to be a really crummy bank chain called Bank One and they moved the decimal on my check when processing payment to Columbia House (e.g. 1.49 paid on $14.99 check). It has been 34 years, but I clearly remember Columbia house's bill collection department was relentless while I dealt with the incompetent bank.



Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
August 17, 2026, 07:22 PM
Gustofer
Glad I'm not the only one. Big Grin


________________________________________________________
It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it.
August 17, 2026, 07:25 PM
k5blazer
Yup, sure added to my cd collection back in the day. I thought they had gone out of business years ago.
August 17, 2026, 08:03 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

There used to be a really crummy bank chain called Bank One and they moved the decimal on my check when processing payment to Columbia House (e.g. 1.49 paid on $14.99 check). It has been 34 years, but I clearly remember Columbia house's bill collection department was relentless while I dealt with the incompetent bank.
Back in the early 1990s, I sent a check to Discover Card. $3,000.00 -- some moron at Discover slipped the decimal point and credited my account for $30

Discover ignored my communication regarding this and sold the "$2,700.00 debt" to a collection agency. Collection agency, which now owned the account, tried the usual strong-arm tactics. I sent them a copy of the canceled check and told them that I would be happy to face them in court. Never heard from them again.



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
August 17, 2026, 08:19 PM
nhtagmember
And the banks destroy checks as soon as they process it. No longer send it back to the account holder.

I thought they went out of business in the early 90’s.
August 17, 2026, 09:26 PM
Beanhead
I think I still owe them money.
August 17, 2026, 10:55 PM
nhtagmember
And I was just about to order an 8-track of The Partridge Family
August 18, 2026, 06:14 AM
rat2306
^^IIRC, my first batch of 8-tracks from them included The Guess Who's, Steppenwolf, and Linda Ronstadt's Great Hits (to that time). Still have most of my cassette tapes. Dropped my membership after they sent me a couple of the automatic selections before the reply date (usually Madonna). Usually paid them with USPS money orders.
August 18, 2026, 07:03 AM
Graniteguy
I can still hear Dick Clark telling me to open the TV Guide for the 2-page AD and ordering info....
August 18, 2026, 08:30 AM
gjgalligan
I can see it might be a losing proposition to lend some of you any money....


Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.
August 18, 2026, 08:47 AM
Butch 2340
They still owe me a Fleetwood Mac 8-track I think.


******************************************************************************
Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .



August 18, 2026, 09:02 AM
sigspecops
How did they stay in business years after music streaming was possible? Who and how many people were still buying from them? I thought they went under 30 years ago.


No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain
August 18, 2026, 09:09 AM
Calif Phil
I bought plenty of 8 tracks from them. Had no idea they were still around, guess that even with the resurgence of vinyl they couldn't make it.
August 18, 2026, 09:12 AM
redstone
I loved the 12 fo a penny campaigns. But my last interaction before things went south was getting a refund / album credit for Milli Vanilli. I forget what cassette I ordered but do remember that was the last time I really ever did it.



This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson
August 18, 2026, 11:17 AM
Mustang-PaPa
You sure this isn’t just a trick. I am not sure that I am ready to come out of hiding yet.