SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amusing mangled/hybridized sayings
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amusing mangled/hybridized sayings Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
'a word to the sufficient'.....

'don't burn your bridges behind you before you cross them'

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Firearms related: Ballister Molina becomes Ballerina Molester. Heard this the other day and it cracked me up.

Posts: 174 | Registered: February 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Norm Crosby made a comedy career out of mangled sayings.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16527 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
I worked with a guy of Eastern Indian descent who was famous for these. By far the most memorable was:
"She's got an ace up the hole." (Ace up her sleeve + an ace in the hole)

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2091 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
My wife says ...6 to one ,half a dozen to the other.

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4586 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always say “it’s not rocket surgery” to my kids. Makes them laugh. My wife had never heard of 6 of one, half dozen the other till she met me.

Posts: 4778 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could care less ....

Posts: 996 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
A bird in the hand is a penny earned...

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
Mixed metaphors aren't rocket surgery.

H&K-Guy

Or brain science....

Posts: 6308 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are deer fishing in a trout pond.

You are trying to tree a catfish.

Posts: 271 | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
"Half of one, six dozen of the other"
If it's a good thing I'll take the 6 dozen! Big Grin

Posts: 45382 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I recall one from my mother when discussing a relationship breakup when I was a kid. She said: don’t worry son, there’s plenty more fish to fry.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5760 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked with a few winners and two of the funniest were:
My wife had the cartridges in her knee replaced. I asked to what caliber?
After a teacher's strike was settled on of the custodians was saying:
Our pay checks are going to be radioactive. I told him he couldn't cash it for twenty years.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
'You think I'm no fool, but that's where you're mistaken...'

My dad.

tac

Posts: 11334 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked for a French guy who, not being a native English speaker, used to get his sayings mixed up. Two that I remember are "You are mixing apples and pears" and "There is more than one way to skin a chicken".

Posts: 994 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
People in glass houses shouldn’t throw black kettles

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My former coworker was a gold mine for mangled sayings and pronunciations. It's one thing for a foreignor to do this, but this racist redneck's lightly branched family tree has been in the US for many generations.

His car had a Cadillac convertor on it (referring to the catalytic convertor)

He loved to eat Vin-uh sausages (can't pronounce Vienna)

There were many more, but I've forgotten most because I haven't worked with him in nearly 20 years.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23298 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I worked with a Chinese woman who didn't so much mangle sayings, but mangled descriptive phrases. I got pretty good at figuring out what she meant, but once she came in to work and said her hair was a "chicken house."

It took me a while, but with a little help from her, I realized she meant her hair was like a bird's nest.

Another time, she went around with an eyeglasses case asking people if they had lost their "eyeball box."

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
The smoker you drink, the player you get

Posts: 4719 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Does the Pope shit in the woods?!?!?!

One of my favorites.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30419 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post