SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you get offended if you are called a racial slur?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you get offended if you are called a racial slur? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Well, being of Indian ethnicity, I am obviously a bit darker skinned than most Caucasian people. So, over the years, I have been called a "sand-nigger", a "rice-nigger", among others. Usually, when I busted them at the University Gym, where I was a student manager. What was the most interesting was that I was called these racial slurs by fellow black students, and Arab students at the Univ of Michigan. Surprisingly, despite the University crowd seeming to think that white people were the 'real' racists, the people who used the racial slurs were the black and the Arab students. And many other students who worked with me had the same experience.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my mixed neighborhood on the late 40's, racial slurs were heard often with many resulting in fist fights. This was the coal mining region of Northeast Pennsylvania.

One person I remember being subjected to sometimes daily racial remarks was a German War bride who was married to a discharged Army veteran.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most normal, well balanced people don't get too worked up on words. For my part I've become desensitized, and I bet many are - some things have been tossed around so much it carries less weight.

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I give no fucks.

This right here! Nobody can get under my skin unless I let them.

Posts: 2834 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Such things don’t bother me; call me honky, cracker, redneck, whatever. I grew up with a much thicker skin than that!

Posts: 4604 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
I am half Puerto Rican and have never once been insulted or felt oppressed by the jokes thrown at me. Not once.

I have a friend whom I have known since 1982. He is my best friend. He is half Puerto Rican. He pronounces it Pudderican. lol

Ha, my friends call me "sorta rican".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5914 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Me? I lean really hard into the stereotype when it happens. They're trying to get a specific reaction and I'm not going to give it to them, plus I'm going to have fun in the process.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3355 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
My brother and I grew up in a time when we referred to our Irish friends (and each other) as “Micks”, as in, “he’s a Mick too”.

It was only a slur depending on who said it.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure that I remember the details correctly, but I recall one of our SIGforum members telling us about how he slammed a text book into a teacher's face, when the teacher used a religious slur.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30727 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
It hurts my feelings so much that I now call my cheese and crackers "cheese and salty bois." Big Grin

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 45, there isn't anything anyone can say that will offend me at this point in life..... I simply don't care.....most things I'd just laugh and walk away.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People using racial slurs have done us all a favor...we all know to ignore them immediately.

Personally, I have to respect you for your opinion to have any meaning to me.

Posts: 81 | Location: Southern California  | Registered: April 29, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sidss1:
Well, being of Indian ethnicity, I am obviously a bit darker skinned than most Caucasian people. So, over the years, I have been called a "sand-nigger", a "rice-nigger", among others. Usually, when I busted them at the University Gym, where I was a student manager. What was the most interesting was that I was called these racial slurs by fellow black students, and Arab students at the Univ of Michigan. Surprisingly, despite the University crowd seeming to think that white people were the 'real' racists, the people who used the racial slurs were the black and the Arab students. And many other students who worked with me had the same experience.

Perhaps white people know that they can't get away with racial insults?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not sure that I remember the details correctly, but I recall one of our SIGforum members telling us about how he slammed a text book into a teacher's face, when the teacher used a religious slur.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
He is currently unavailable, but you can correpsond with him at Federal BOP.

Posts: 17277 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Not at all.

Two of the things Mom taught me as a child before I started school over 60 years ago stuck with me and have served me pretty well.

1) YOU are not the center of the universe.
2) NOTHING ugly anyone says to you or about you means anything unless you let it.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
If I'm called a name no. If I'm accused of being a racist then yes, a little bit.

Posts: 7547 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum's Official
Metalhead
Picture of DTREND75
posted Hide Post
I usually get called something every night at work. To be honest I find it boring. At least entertain me with new or original terms.

Sensitive and caring since August 2009

Some people are like a Slinky....not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Posts: 3810 | Location: PSST! Look behind you! | Registered: July 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by sidss1:

Perhaps white people know that they can't get away with racial insults?

Maybe. I think it's also true that there is lot more racism in other cultures than white liberals have any clue about.

Posts: 2491 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23575 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
No. The act identifies a person who I can confidently believe is inferior and unworthy of my attention.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post