SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Marriage, aging, and hearing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marriage, aging, and hearing Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
I commented to my wife that during our Florida vacation we've had to repeat things a lot.

Her: "Yes, I've had to repeat myself a lot"

Me: "I have also" She had a startled look on her face.

Me: "One of us or both of us has hearing loss and/or one of us or both of us talks too softly"

Her: "You have hearing loss and you talk too sofly"

Posts: 7479 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Of course it’s you. You ought to have known without being told.
Wink

Posts: 26939 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Been there.

I now have hearing aids and she still repeats herself, as do I.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6491 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
My wife used to tear out the Miracle Ear ads from magazines & attach them to the refrigerator door with magnets. She'd also watch my expression when people were speaking to me to make sure I heard them correctly. Like, "SHE WANTS TO KNOW WHAT DRESSING YOU WANT ON YOUR SALAD."

I have hearing aids now & they work pretty well, but the absolute best part about having hearing aids is you can remove them whenever you want & everything goes back to being nice & bland again.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem and I'm not even married.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13409 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My wife has a bad habit of continuing a sentence and the rest while walking away from me, or facing away from me. I couldn't hear that 25 years ago, and still cannot. I think my hearing has degraded somewhat at age 72, but I can hear people facing me just fine.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10790 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Of course it’s you. You ought to have known without being told.
Wink

Yep. I feel his pain.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7659 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
Her: "You have hearing loss and you talk too sofly"

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Years back my wife found out she had hearing loss, partially from getting many free VIP tickets to concerts and being up close to the stage, and partially from an abusive EX who broke her ear drum. I jumped on he idea of hearing aids for her thinking I would no longer need to repeat myself and I could listen to the TV at a normal level and not having it on SCREAM! I thought $2500 well spent. She wears the hearing aids when she’s out, but as soon as she comes back to the motorhome she takes them out....TV level remains on SCREAM and I still repeat myself when talking to her. Roll Eyes

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Not marriage... but my mother cant hear worth a damn and refuses to acknowledge it. You have to repeat everything to her until you are frustrated and then you wind up yelling at her. She cant hear the TV unless its so loud you cant even be in the same room, and forget talking to her on the phone.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10730 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s a wife thing. Granted I have lost some range from hanging around turbine engines for 30+ years but still. I ask a question and hear no reply. I ask again and am told that she answered already. Well.... I heard that so how did I not hear the 30 seconds earlier reply? I think it’s because she talks real quiet and is trying to convince me I’m slowly going insane. Well, I am married so maybe she is correct. Lol

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I live in a family full of mumblers.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are thinking about keeping a list of amusing misunderstandings based on what we heard vs. what was said—we agree that wouldn’t have happened 50 years ago.
Unfortunately since our memories are also not what they were 50 years ago I can’t repeat any of them back to you. Big Grin

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
All the poor decisions as regards my hearing, then last month the wife finally got herself hearing aids. Shoulda done it five years ago I guess.

I imagine I’ll be in line soon enough. Now the tv is a bit too loud for her.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5165 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a hearing loss and have hearing aids. They help a lot. My wife will say something when she is in another room, I walk into the room and she will say never mind!

The other thing I have happen is she ask about something and I will say what? Her response is I told you about that. No either I didn’t hear or she forgot to tell me.

Life with hearing loss

Posts: 923 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
What?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27022 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

My wife has a bad habit of continuing a sentence and the rest while walking away from me, or facing away from me. I couldn't hear that 25 years ago, and still cannot. I think my hearing has degraded somewhat at age 72, but I can hear people facing me just fine.

I suffer the same malady.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife rarely stops speaking long enough for me to talk, so it doesn't matter. When I do speak, she finishes my sentences. Usually wrongly.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Am there, doing that.... Roll Eyes

Don't know the first thing about hearing aids and my wife loves to talk to me when one of us is not even in the room or nearby.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12139 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I live in a family full of mumblers.

Its not just your family, although I think theres some hidden wit you stated.

The young people today, cannot talk to anyone while facing them, and most of them mumble.

By the year 2075 coherent talk will be extinct.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post