SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The most encouraging thing I've read today (unfortunately from the UK)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The most encouraging thing I've read today (unfortunately from the UK) Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
This is a quote from a London Times article about "ruthless" Liz Truss, the new PM:

quote:
However, a former minister who has worked closely with Truss warned people not to think she would compromise. “ She thinks the state is malevolent, that it’s holding things back, is generally a burden in life and should be smaller and get out of the way, ” he said. “It really does come from the heart.”

Link

Global politics

Posts: 18040 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Nice, but he says she thought that. Would like real evidence, print or video, that she actually said something like that. I know nothing about this lady.

Q

Posts: 26305 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
We will have to see. I am leery. Her entire cabinet screams DIVERSITY. Hope they are competent. I don't think she is a female Churchill.

Posts: 17216 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
UK newspapers are much more sensationalist, and competitive than anything we see here in the US. While there's a broad variety of newspapers one can choose from depending upon your political/social persuasion, they are all very aggressive and looking to exploit any and all opportunity to create a story.
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
We will have to see. I am leery. Her entire cabinet screams DIVERSITY. Hope they are competent. I don't think she is a female Churchill.

The Conservative Party there, would be a Blue Dog Democrat here. May was too far over her skis, Johnson liked to hear himself speak but did little, with Truss, we'll see.
London is the center of gravity for the entire county and being a big, big world city, the diversity and green agenda is very strong there. Watch any UK produced movie/show, and every single diversity box is checked.

Posts: 14624 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
UK newspapers are much more sensationalist, and competitive than anything we see here in the US. While there's a broad variety of newspapers one can choose from depending upon your political/social persuasion, they are all very aggressive and looking to exploit any and all opportunity to create a story.
quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Conservative Party there, would be a Blue Dog Democrat here. May was too far over her skis, Johnson liked to hear himself speak but did little, with Truss, we'll see.
London is the center of gravity for the entire county and being a big, big world city, the diversity and green agenda is very strong there. Watch any UK produced movie/show, and every single diversity box is checked.

If not for the "wokeness", many Brit shows would be very good. Much emphasis on plot, less on car chases, etc.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
very true

one example - Dr. Who

was once a great series, now its entirely unwatchable

Posts: 53146 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
This discussion would probably fit best into the ongoing thread:

Liz Truss New Prime Minister of the UK

Time will tell if she governs as a Conservative, or just talks like a Conservative, something her predecessor was sometimes guilty of.

As I mentioned in the Truss thread, she's got solid UK government experience in a couple different ministeries and she has had time to both make valuable contacts (as well as enemies) and hone her skills as a politician, and she's already taken some encouraging actions like ending the UK ban on domestic fracking and said she's in favor of cutting taxes.

She's got her share of critics, both on the Left and from hardliners on the Right, but I've even heard one of them acknowledge that while she wasn't their first choice, that they think she'll do ok.

If anything, the early indicators are that she will be fiscally Conservative and socially moderate, although she has come out against CRT being taught in schools and criticizing the LGBTQxyz gender movement in government.

She was initially against Brexit, but has come around to supporting it.

She's catching some flak right now for, 30 years ago, saying that the British Monarchy should be discontinued, but long ago recanted on that, and also catching flak by Conservatives for proposing price controls on energy bills.

The UK and The Commonwealth are going through great turmoil right now, grieving for a former monarch while accepting both a new one and a new PM, so I'm willing to give her a little time to settle into this new leadership role.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:

There are very, VERY few advertisements here that don't have mixed-race families with children from yet another racial group, handicapped kids, PORG, trisexual tree-worshippers - ALL kinds of humanity imaginable, including a VERY large proportion of people who are clearly Mediterranean in origin. Given that less than 8% of the population is actually black, the 50/50 spilt in advertising is somewhat puzzling, at least, it is to me.

Posts: 11313 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Margaret Thatcher II will do.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8913 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

There are very, VERY few advertisements here that don't have mixed-race families with children from yet another racial group, handicapped kids, PORG, trisexual tree-worshippers - ALL kinds of humanity imaginable, including a VERY large proportion of people who are clearly Mediterranean in origin. Given that less than 8% of the population is actually black, the 50/50 spilt in advertising is somewhat puzzling, at least, it is to me

Schlitz had to pull these ads. Seems they were targeting blacks. The more things change...

Posts: 17216 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:

There are very, VERY few advertisements here that don't have mixed-race families with children from yet another racial group, handicapped kids, PORG, trisexual tree-worshippers - ALL kinds of humanity imaginable, including a VERY large proportion of people who are clearly Mediterranean in origin. Given that less than 8% of the population is actually black, the 50/50 spilt in advertising is somewhat puzzling, at least, it is to me.

One of the buzzwords we've been beaten over the head with is 'under respresentation'

Advertisers, or, the industry of (along with casting directors), are the most guilty of this perception imbalance that various groups cry about. While under-representation in various aspects was an issue, what we've seen now is an OVER-representation, a gross and aggressive over-correction. It's gone beyond comical and moved into the absurd and ridiculous.

Posts: 14624 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:

One of the buzzwords we've been beaten over the head with is 'under respresentation'

Advertisers, or, the industry of (along with casting directors), are the most guilty of this perception imbalance that various groups cry about. While under-representation in various aspects was an issue, what we've seen now is an OVER-representation, a gross and aggressive over-correction. It's gone beyond comical and moved into the absurd and ridiculous.

Yup.

Posts: 11313 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

If not for the "wokeness", many Brit shows would be very good. Much emphasis on plot, less on car chases, etc.

There is a much bigger agenda in those Brit TV shows beyond just "wokeness."

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30390 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear.

“Liz Truss is fighting for her political life today as she U-turns on tax cuts after dramatically sacking Kwasi Kwarteng and bringing back Jeremy Hunt to quell market chaos.

Barely a month into her premiership, Ms Truss is fronting a make-or-break press conference to abandon a major strand of her radical economic reforms. Tory MPs are warning that a poor performance would mean she is 'out'.  …”

Full DailyMail article:
https://mol.im/a/11315763

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8913 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Sad news – Liz Truss will resign.

“After just 44 disastrous days in No10, the PM took to a lectern outside the famous black door to confirm her departure, sealing her fate as the shortest-serving premier in modern political history.
Revealing she had informed the King of her decision, she said: 'I cannot deliver on the mandate.... I will remain as PM until a successor has been chosen.' …”

DailyMail article:
https://mol.im/a/11336361

Serious about crackers

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
What the hell? I saw that this morning and my reaction was "how pathetic." Was she simply not up to the task? Not willing to fight? Margaret Thatcher she apparently is not.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30390 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will wait to see what tac foley says. No Winston Churchill for sure.

They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
What the hell? I saw that this morning and my reaction was "how pathetic." Was she simply not up to the task? Not willing to fight? Margaret Thatcher she apparently is not.

The bits I've seen, she never was.
Here is to hoping the next PM gets it right.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Maybe Giorgia Meloni has a British relative who could run?

If Italy can get an election right, you'd think the UK might be able to find someone worthy for the task...

Good luck, Tac, et al.!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Sad news – Liz Truss will resign.
Unfortunate, but not terribly surprising--other than how quick it's been. I can't say why, but I had the impression all along she wouldn't last long.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post