SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hernia surgery - Update - Home from the hospital.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hernia surgery - Update - Home from the hospital. Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
So back at the start of May, I passed a box to a coworker and felt something funny in my groin area. A week later it hurt, went to the doctor. He sent me for an ultrasound. Came back with a hernia.

So it’s not a bad one. There is no bulge. Surgery is scheduled for Monday the 6th. I met with my surgeon and I am not 100% certain if this is going to be a scope surgery, or a cut and stitch type of thing. He did mention he is going to stitch in a piece of mesh that’s a little larger than a silver dollar.

He made it sound like it’s easy peasy. He has done a lot of these and said it should go smoothly, and that my recovery time should be about six weeks before I can start to do normal-ish activity again. Six weeks seems like a damn long time.

So who all has been through this and what should I expect?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beancooker,

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I've had one on my left side for more years than I can remember. I had it checked last year as I was having a kidney cyst checked. Doc said if it doesn't bother me, leave it alone. That's what I'm doing.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4279 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’ve had two, both at the VA hospital. The first was traditional cut and stitch 20+ years ago and the second, about 15 months ago was the robotic “scope” method. Neither was particularly traumatic, but the second was a distinctly better experience. There were three small incisions, including one through the belly button, but none were ever painful.

I was given narcotic painkillers, but other than the first night to help ensure I slept well, I never took any of it. A nurse recommended I keep the pain relief level up by alternating Tylenol and ibuprofen every six hours or so to avoid excessive amounts of either. I did that for several days (a week?) and it worked fine.

Although I was given dire warnings about not lifting anything over 15 pounds for six(?) weeks(!) for the scope method, I fudged a little at the end and believe it would have been more applicable to the cut and stitch procedure.

After a few days I developed some spectacular color effects in the dangling parts, but I was told to expect that and it was simply a sight to behold with no other problems.

Hopefully your procedure will go as well as mine did.

Added: What I found interesting the second time was the screening process that I only belatedly realized was to determine whether the hernia would be repaired. I believe the hesitation was due to my age (73) and whether it was really necessary for me. I suspect the determining factors were that I did experience occasional pain and was still working at a job that required physical exertion including moving 50+ pound boxes around and running on occasion.

Neither surgery was an experience I’d look forward to repeating, but nor would I be dismayed at the prospect.

6.4/93.6

“I regret that I am to now die in the belief, that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776, to acquire self-government and happiness to their country, is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be, that I live not to weep over it.”
— Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 47719 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I had inguinal surgery back in the mid 70's. No pain just soreness. Was offered pain meds but didn't take any since it didn't prevent me from sleeping. Took it easy for about 4 weeks and after was good to go. Alot had to do with my comfort level with the surgeon which was 100%. I think that had alot to do with pre and post op.

Posts: 5346 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Mcrimm, if it didn’t hurt, I wouldn’t have seen the doctor. It doesn’t feel good when I lift things with weight.

Sigfreund, thanks for the detailed reply. Especially good to know about the other parts changing color. That would have probably freaked me out if I didn’t know.

Blueye, thanks for your viewpoint. Damn, you were having surgery around the time I was born. I hope it has gotten better in the last 45 years, as yours sounds so smooth, if it’s better now, that would be great.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
You need to find out what kind of surgery you are having. It makes a big difference in recovery time.

I've had three hernia surgeries over my lifetime. The first was in the mid-eighties. Six inch scar over my abdomen. Recovery took a while but I was back to work after a week. The second was in the mid-nineties. Other side this time. Two inch scar and recovery was less. The third one was down about four years ago. This one was microscopic. He went in through my belly button and told me he fixed two tears. The one he went in after and then found another on the other side. Recovery was not bad at all but my belly button was sore for several weeks. I was up and about working after three or four days.

That mesh is pretty much SOP.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
They found mine during a physical. The PA couldn’t believe it didn’t bother me. During the work up I finally confessed that all their poke and prod were making it hurt.
I made sure to empty my gut before surgery. I was given a spinal and woke up 12 hours later. However, my heels were still numb. Finally told the two nurses (one was my wife) that I was going to be unpleasant until they kicked me out. That I could tiptoe to the car. Got out and slept the weekend.
Other then a few tugs, I really had no pain.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's not causing problems I would advise you leave it alone. That "mesh" your surgeon is referring to is Kevlar. Surgeons love these meshes because it cuts a 2 hour cut and stitch job down to about 10 minutes. The problem is that Kevlar can shift. In my step brother it darned near cut his intestine in half. In my borther it shifted to an area that was not herniated and left the hernia wide open. When he had the repair that lead to a heart attack that killed him.

As you might expect I'm not a fan of the current use of mesh for hernia repair. There have been so many problems I expect at some point the FDA will ban them.

BTW, umbilical hernias are hereditary in my family and I have a rather large one. My doctor has suggested that I may want to get mine fixed. After explaining what happened to both my brother and stepbrother he now endorses a wait and see approach. If I ever show symptoms of entrapment then it will have to be repaired. Until that happens I can leave it alone. BTW, hernia's and diverticulitis go hand in hand. So if you have a hernia it would probably be a good idea to get a colonoscopy.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5770 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have surgery done within a few months mine is above and inside my belly button. the one above is pretty large and has slowly increased in size, only reason I haven't had it done is because I'm a small business owner.( 1 man cabinet shop). taking off six weeks or more is not something I can easily do, but now that I'm in a good place, I think it's time.

Posts: 5678 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good Luck and I hope all goes well

I was one of the unlucky ones that have had nothing but problems thanks to the mesh. I have met and spoken with individuals that are a lot worse off than I am.

I discovered I had one while I was doing dishes at the house in Richmond, VA. The dogs were outside and barking up a storm so I leaned across the sink so i could look outside. As I did that I got a quick little hello. I figured it was from all the training i had been doing getting ready for basic training after a 17 year break in service. I had trained hard for the past 1.5 years along with all the training with my Police Dept.

I wouldn't have went and got the surgery but there was the slight bulge and no way was I going to pass my physical at MEPS.

My dad had a double hernia fixed with the mesh and he had problems. I guess it runs in the family.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an inguinal hernia repair done in 2008. It was a direct incision about 1 1/2" long. The surgeon said that gave him better visualization of the defect than laparoscopic and he got more predictable results.

The recovery was no big deal for me. I took one pain pill the first night to sleep and then went to Tylenol/Advil alternated every 4 hours for a few days after that. I took it easy and iced the area a lot to reduce inflammation.

The only time I was aware of the mesh was after a heavy meal. When my abdomen was full, I was aware that the mesh felt "tight". That lasted several years, but didn't really hurt.

Good luck!

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
https://www.shouldice.com/

This is an interesting website.

Posts: 16204 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of folks relating their experiences but how many can say, as I can, that theirs was done 74 years ago. I was four at the time. Coincidentally, like the previous poster, mine was done in Richmond, Va. I was my father's first child and having been told I had bilateral inguinal hernias, he was directed to take me to a surgeon. The year was 1946. The surgeon examined me and agreed that sugery was indicated. My poor dad said to the surgeon with some hesitation, "Doctor, is this a serious operation?"
The surgeon replied, "Well, not to me but he's not my kid." Years later, I had my own surgical career and I always remembered that. It kind of helped keep things in perspective. I practiced gynecology and I tried to always remember, that the patient depending on my skills was someone's daughter, sister, mother or wife.
As for the OP's original question. Get it fixed. It's one of the simplest surgeries they do. Recuperation is minimal and scheduled surgery is safer than emergency surgery at 3am, when you show up in the ER because you can't get the bulge to go back in. Years later, that happened to my dad.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
If it's not causing problems I would advise you leave it alone. That "mesh" your surgeon is referring to is Kevlar. Surgeons love these meshes because it cuts a 2 hour cut and stitch job down to about 10 minutes. The problem is that Kevlar can shift. In my step brother it darned near cut his intestine in half. In my borther it shifted to an area that was not herniated and left the hernia wide open. When he had the repair that lead to a heart attack that killed him.

As you might expect I'm not a fan of the current use of mesh for hernia repair. There have been so many problems I expect at some point the FDA will ban them.

quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
I was one of the unlucky ones that have had nothing but problems thanks to the mesh. I have met and spoken with individuals that are a lot worse off than I am.

Hernia mesh almost killed my mom ~7 months ago.

Her hernia mesh failed and perforated her bowels, and she developed severe sepsis. Had emergency surgery to remove most of her large intestines and install a colostomy bag. She was in ICU for several weeks and then a rehab facility for another month or so. A great way for her to spend Thanksgiving and Christmas.

She's having another surgery this coming week to try to reconnect what's left of her intestines.

I'd recommend exploring a fix that doesn't involve mesh.

Posts: 33105 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund mentioned a significant post-op after effect that I sure wish someone had told me about ahead of time...
quote:
After a few days I developed some spectacular color effects in the dangling parts, but I was told to expect that and it was simply a sight to behold with no other problems.

At a follow-up visit the doc referred to it as "the Blue Max".

Posts: 601 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Mine was close to 30 years ago. There was some pain for a day or 2, but not all that bad. Do what the Dr says and you will be fine.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had mine done years ago, they put a mesh in.

At times I get some soreness there and some movement.

My PCP doctor said that was normal and he wished surgeons told there patients what to really expect. It is scar tissues that forms and can I can feel it. Some soreness as it heals and moves.

Posts: 4784 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had 2 inguinal hernias. Once with the silk-screen mesh and once without. Did not really notice a difference.

I was doing light jogging a week after my last one and back in the gym after 3 weeks. Six weeks sounds more like a pre-cautionary time frame.

Total procedure, from the time I walked in the hospital until the time I left, was less than 4-hours.

Best of luck.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Had both sides done in the earlier years late 60's-70's, I remember a little soreness following and a few years later back to weight lifting, surfing, karate, running so the surgery went well and no reoccurrences, even currently 50yrs later.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had my left side done about 20 years ago. Had lived with it for over five years before getting it done. My PCP, old guy, said no mesh. His buddy surgeon, another old guy, did the 6 inch cut type repair. Have never had any problems with it since. Recovery pain was not bad, didn’t even use the drugs prescribed just ibuprofen.

Posts: 61 | Location: Southwest Florida  | Registered: September 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post