SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hernia surgery - Update - Home from the hospital.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hernia surgery - Update - Home from the hospital. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I suggest you give this a quick read:

https://www.fda.gov/medical-de...rgical-mesh-implants

Posts: 17529 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
20 y.o. hernia surgery ,
git'er done
no big deal

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55208 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a double inguinal repair back in 2013, I was powerlifting Competetivly at the time, I never figured out when it happened since it never caused me any pain but I could sort of pop it in with my fingers and feel it pop out. I ended up having the surgery while I was living overseas, the anesthesia practices them in China are much different than they are here in the USA I was a wreck for a few days just from the drugs wearing off.

I was working out again in about a month.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
25 years ago for me. Both sides. I am full of mesh. The recovery periods were about 2 weeks for me. but I imagine that has been reduced now. There are lots of mesh horror stories out there, but no problems for me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bilateral repair 33 years ago; ten years later the right side needed repair again. Mesh was used on the last one. Good old fashioned gas anesthesia in '87, one full day to just recover from that; three days in bed, two weeks of taking it easy. '97, more modern anesthesia with less recovery, less pain, able to go home from my caregiver's place two days later. I worry at times about the mesh, but so far so good.

Posts: 3406 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I had open mesh hernia repair in 2016 via day surgery as recommended by my highly respected surgeon who had done probably thousands of them. It went well. Not so much pain the first couple days but more after that but not really bad. I just took ibuprofen for mild pain and swelling and did not need the norco I also had. Sleeping became a bit difficult but using a couple extra pillows was able to do OK. I has a LOT of black and blue below the belt area but that eventually went away.

Be SURE to follow doctors orders on weight lifting restrictions. Also eat light day before surgery and talk to doctor about getting laxative before the surgery. My biggest PIA was I had constipation after surgery and that is bad because you don't want to stress the surgical area trying to do number 2 LOL.

Good luck!

Posts: 9850 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I had one at birth and had surgery almost 40 years ago. This Wednesday I am having surgery on another one. The scope surgery.

Posts: 3477 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had bilateral surgery, without mesh, a year ago. Paid was somewhat worse than I expected, but recovery was quick.

The surgeon recommended against mesh and against laparoscopy. I did not feel pain before the surgery, but was cautioned that sometimes a section of the intestine can pop out and you end up in the ER.

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
I have had 2, one on each side and about 10 years apart. Bags of frozen peas will help and after the second day you will feel better every day. No problems at all with mine.

Posts: 1970 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
40ish years ago. I was 4 or 5. All I can say is definitely ask for an extra popsicle in recovery.

Posts: 4332 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father had one for a number of years, then one Sunday it became strangulated . I would not use mesh, major problems with using them in prolapsed women’s bladders and hernia repair.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had two, one on each side. First was cut and stitch, second, a few years ago, was scope. Scope was less sore, easier recovery. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the potential for difficulty urinating the first day or so due to swelling. This is not to be taken lightly. My pre-op instructions mentioned it and said if it happened, you may have to go to ER. I was very close to needing to do that. Be sure to check with your doctor about that issue.

Posts: 2713 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Well, home from the hospital.
It wasn’t laparoscopic. Good old fashioned cut and stitch.
He used mesh.
I feel pretty good, no pain, not sore. But that’s probably the pain medication. I’d prefer to not take it, and I hope it doesn’t hurt when the IV stuff they gave me wears off.
Anyways, just wanted to let you guys know I’m okay.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Great news! Thanks for checking in and letting us know you’re good.

I had mine last Wednesday. Laparoscopic. Dr gave me four pain pills. Hasn’t been too bad after the second day.

quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Well, home from the hospital.
It wasn’t laparoscopic. Good old fashioned cut and stitch.
He used mesh.
I feel pretty good, no pain, not sore. But that’s probably the pain medication. I’d prefer to not take it, and I hope it doesn’t hurt when the IV stuff they gave me wears off.
Anyways, just wanted to let you guys know I’m okay.

Posts: 3477 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Noah,
Glad to hear you're fixed up and on the mend. For whatever reason I missed your thread about this business until now.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Good news. Please keep us posted on your progress.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4279 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Follow your Doctor's instructions on lifting to the letter. People who think they are tough and can do what they want sometimes really get messed up post op. When he says 10 pounds, don't make it 20. Best of luck!

Posts: 1505 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
Follow your Doctor's instructions on lifting to the letter. People who think they are tough and can do what they want sometimes really get messed up post op. When he says 10 pounds, don't make it 20. Best of luck!

When it comes to stuff like this, I won’t bend the rules. I’d rather take a little longer, heal correctly, and be back in action, than rush it, break it, and do this charade all over again.

Thanks for pointing that out.

quote:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Glad to see you got it repaired and are now on the mend.

I've had a few hernia repairs, they are so much easier now than the very 1st one I had, back in the barbaric surgery days.

Take it easy, and as noted above, just do what the Doc says.

Posts: 11994 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Okay, so update from last night.

The soreness from the surgery isn’t that bad. It feels like a weight on my groin, and like someone os pushing with their thumb, trying to touch my spine. Hurts, but not terrible.

The stuff used to clean my skin prior to surgery, left a nice chemical burn on my right testicle. Nothing like the feeling of a sunburned nut.

The worst part however, is that theY placed a tube in my throat to give me oxygen and anesthesia. It scratched up my throat pretty bad, and may be the worst sore throat I have had in 45 years of life. The sore throat is far worse than the scorched nut, or the hernia repair.

I’m taking the day off today, and possibly a few more days, as I have a ton of PTO. I’m in good spirits and plan on wasting a bunch of hours perusing the internet, hanging out with you guys, and catching up on a bunch of TV that I haven’t watched in the last 18 months.

I marinated four St. Louis cut ribs in Jack Miller’s sauce last night. I’ll throw them on the smoker for a couple hours and have a tasty lunch today.

quote:
The “lol” thread