SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Snow tires for a 4wd truck.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snow tires for a 4wd truck. Login/Join 
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I have a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. I'm in upstate New York and we get all types of weather, including snow and ice.
The Jeep has all the fancy stuff, antilock brakes, both differentials are electronic locking, and front sway bar electronic disconnect.
It came factory equipped with BF Goodrich Mud Terrain tires. (aggressive off road tread)
When the OEM set wore out at about 75,000 miles, BF Goodrich no longer made that tire.
They got replaced with BF Goodrich KO2 Mud Terrain tires. (aggressive off road tread)
By the time the second set wore out at about 150,000 miles, BF Goodrich no longer made the KO2.
So I replaced them with a set of BF Goodrich KO3 Mud Terrain tires. (aggressive off road tread)
Are you beginning to see a pattern here?
I run the same tires in all four seasons. Are they a bit noisy? Yes. Turn up the radio.
The Jeep will be a pile of rust on the garage floor when the third set of tires is worn out.
I rotate the tires myself every 5000 miles when I do an oil change. (modified X rotation pattern)
The Jeep has never had a wheel alignment. Why would you when a set of aggressive off road tires lasts 75,000 miles and the tread wears evenly.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1545 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Any from the big brands should suffice with some extra caution on the road while getting to know them.

There's always advice of finding an empty snow covered parking lot to understand some of the characteristics of the tires.

I have personal experience with Michelin Xice, Bridgestone Blizzaks, and Nokian's Hakkapeliitas.

The Michelins have the most consistent traction through the life of the tire. The Blizzaks often see a decline after the 3rd season, but offer the highest initial traction in my experience. Nokians were high quality all arounders.

If possible, try to look at the tire date codes. I've seen 2 year old tires sold as new old stock and I try to find the more recent production if possible.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post