SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Western Slope of Colorado Suggestions
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Western Slope of Colorado Suggestions Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Taking 285 to Fairplay to the backside of Breckenridge let's you skip the worst parts of 70 but still enjoy some of it. That said, I think the worries about 70 are often over stated. Sure, it will have some traffic from Denver through the Eisenhower tunnel to Silverthorne/etc, but it's not that bad, and the drive is gorgeous.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Keep 'em coming, Guys!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I think Rolan is looking for activities in the western half of the state.

Yep, Starting from Denver. The experience I related is west of Denver. He can simply ignore me if that doesn’t count.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Ok, Roland, Durango is the place to go for the best Colorado experience. I lived there 20+ years and now retired to Denver area.

about 40% income is tourist related, with the rest from the college, government and farming/ranching.

Lots of good restaurants, Mesa Verde, National forest, river rafting and quality tourist activities. Historic town. Even a Cowboy Action Shooting Club.

Email me for more info if you wish. Fly in if you wish.

EasyFire

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
If you do stop in Denver try to hit The Buckhorn exchange, excellent food and a museum like building before you head up the hill. http://www.buckhorn.com/

Posts: 2344 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Taking 285 to Fairplay to the backside of Breckenridge let's you skip the worst parts of 70 but still enjoy some of it. That said, I think the worries about 70 are often over stated. Sure, it will have some traffic from Denver through the Eisenhower tunnel to Silverthorne/etc, but it's not that bad, and the drive is gorgeous.

That is a pretty drive. If you do so, you MUST stop at the Bigfoot Mueseum in Bailey. It’s literally right off of 285.

http://sasquatchoutpost.com

There’s also some nice wineries on the west slope, if you’re into wine.

https://coloradowinecountryinn.com

http://maisonlabellevie.com

https://www.colterris.com

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tanner,

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
US 550 north from Durango is my favorite motorcycle ride. Lot's of twisties.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I should of gave more info on Gateway, great restaurant,really nice car museum and rt 141 is a real scenic drive. That whole western slope area is a great motorcycle ride. Don't forget Gunnison Canyon. https://www.nps.gov/blca/index.htm,,,,,,,,,,,,, https://www.gatewaycanyons.com/

Posts: 2344 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
If your taking 285 south right past Conifer there's always this. Quirky place but a decent "local" lunch. http://thebucksnortsaloon.com/

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
originally posted by fwbulldog:
Go hike Hanging Lake in Glenwood Canyon.

If you're passing through Rifle, I70 between junction and Glenwood, stop in at Shooters Cafe for lunch. Once you're past Rifle you're in high Desert. Grand Mesa near Junction is my old riding grounds. Awesome twisties.

Rifle Falls is near my child hood home. Little Box Canyon has great climbing and amazing camping.
That was fun to read. Rifle was my old ranger district when I worked on the White River NF. I’ll add that Rifle Falls in in Rifle Mountain Park, just outside the NF boundary. it’s pretty and has a nice (and not too difficult) hiking trail that’s worth doing.

What kind of vehicle will you be driving, Rolan, do you know?

quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Lots of good suggestions so far.

Ouray (pronounced: you-ray),

Unless you’re a Ute Big Grin

Posts: 13600 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Think you need reservations to go to hanging lake now, people as usual mess up a good thing. https://www.visitglenwood.com/...#toggle-id-11-closed

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

What kind of vehicle will you be driving, Rolan, do you know?

We will have a medium sized SUV. We like driving around looking at things and piking through shops and museums. Not much of hikers.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
If you follow the advice to take 285, email me for my cell and I can give road conditions.

We were shut down last Saturday for a fatal motorcycle vs semi accident for multiple hours.

285 traffic can be heavy on weekends.

Posts: 601 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Lots of folks who've been there! Smile If you take the advice to follow 285 south and find yourself near Bueny at supper time, or Salida, eat at Quincy's if you can stomach filet or prime rib. They don't give a choice, they only prepare one of them each night. There's one in Salida, too.

If you like to like burgers, there's a place in Bueny a few doors up on the same side of 24 that's my favorite, its just a burger stand named Kay's. With a nice park to eaat in , too.

Late September can get you in snow, too. Not to scare you, but be aware of the possibility.

I think Cottonwood is closed for construction. If you can get over it, you can drop down the Gunnison side. Try Crested Butte for a visit. Or Gunnison. Interesting store in Gunnison near US50. Lots of dead animals. Hides, heads, horns, you name it. Worth a stop for a gun guy.

You can try to pack too much in to a couple of days. Big State, lots to do. If you decide to go to Leadville there are antique shops, too. If you like to spend money, you can go up and over Independence Pass and hit Aspen. Last time I was there we found a Baskins and Robbins. I paid over $5 for a single dip cone.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Surprised no one has mentioned it yet, the drive through Glenwood Canyon. It's on I-70 between Dotsero and Glenwood Springs. Beautiful canyon and some spectacular engineering with terraces and tunnels to route the interstate through it.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11889 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Rolan, you've received several great suggestions, many of which I would have suggested if not already posted.

You didn't mention the September dates you'll be visiting over so I'll just shotgun a couple ideas.

While not on the Western Slope the Colorado Springs 3 day hot air balloon show held over the Labor Day weekend is one of the great balloon festivals in the U.S. and offers a spectacular show and opportunity for photographs. Early morning balloon launches followed by various mid-morning ground and air events, food and clothing and gizmo vendors. In the evenings there is a balloon glow event which offers another opportunity for phenomenal pics. Obviously weather dependent.

Also, there are various Octoberfests throughout the state, including several in various Western Slope towns. I've been to the Vail Octoberfest and the location for it recreates Bavarian architecture and does a great job of making you feel as though you were celebrating there. Good time for sure! I'm sure the Breckenridge and other Octoberfests are just as great.

Also, there is a SMALL old mining town named St. Elmo that has many of it's original buildings intact, including a general store that is still open to visitors. Just be careful of the hummingbirds and ground squirrels as they are quite aggressive in demanding that you feed them. Wink

Not on the Western Slope, but as you are coming out of Denver you might want to check the concert schedule for Red Rocks as everyone should see at least one concert in this amazing venue.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're able, find a day for the Cumbres and Toltec railroad excursion. A very enjoyable 64 mile train ride that leaves from Chama, New Mexico, approximately 15 miles inside New Mexico. Hit up Fosters Saloon. Well worth the taste of some New Mexican food.

Posts: 499 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
In my opinion the Cumbres and Toltec RR trip from Chama NM to Antonito (just across the Colorado border) has better scenery than the more famous Durango and Silverton RR. The Cumbres and Toltec spends more time on open terrain with big views. I recommend riding in an enclosed passenger car unless you don’t mind coal smoke and cinders.

The downside is that Antonito Colorado, where the train from Chama ends up, had very little to offer in the way of shopping compared to Silverton, if there’s a shopper involved. We changed trains at the midpoint/lunch stop, and rode back to Chama.

Posts: 27184 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
If you end up on 70W, West of the Eisenhower Tunnel (the tunnel is an interesting experience and bit of history all its own), there is an Outlet Mall and other amenities right off the freeway in Silverthorne, and Dillon Reservoir and the speck of a town that's Dillon is right there as well (the lake is pretty, you can drive across the dam), and there will be restaurants and such in Silverthorne/Dillon, as well as a few miles farther West in Frisco (just off the freeway, too), all along 70.

The town of Breckenridge is a touch South of 70 before you get to Frisco, which isn't especially convenient unless you're coming into it from the backside via 285 or if you really just want to see it. It's a ski town like the others, has shops and restaurants. Nice enough to drive through if it's convenient, but not as special as Telluride or Vail, so you're not missing too much if it doesn't work out.

Once you're West of Frisco things start to get more sparse... I suggest you gas up, take bathroom breaks, etc, somewhere between Silverthorne and Frisco, if you go 70W...

Most restaurants along the 70 will have degrees of tourist-y prices... but there's good food that isn't outrageous.

www.exit205colorado.com

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Mesa Verde
Glenwood Springs is pretty nice, too. Grand Junction is artsy fartsy but good.

Grave of Doc Holliday

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post