SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Western Slope of Colorado Suggestions
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Western Slope of Colorado Suggestions Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
So where does western Colorado begin? Anything west of Denver and Colorado Springs? I drove through a lot of Colorado (and Utah) in 2012, beginning with a USAF reunion in Colorado Springs, then headed west and south and back to the Springs before returning home to Dallas. That trip is documented in photos at https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157630944299346/ and I think the part that might be of interest would begin on Day 10. Day 14 has a few photos of Glenwood Canyon. This is one example showing the incredible engineering of the Interstate Highway through the canyon:

DSC_2960.jpg
by David Casteel, on Flickr

Days 15 through 17a document my time in and around Moab, Utah, but am back in Colorado on Day 17b. Day 19 includes some time in Telluride and Day 20 has photos of Monarch Pass and the Continental Divide. Here is a view from Monarch Crest:

DSC_3850.jpg
by David Casteel, on Flickr
I also have a couple of nice panoramas from the top, but they don't show up in fora very well.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rolan,
What airline are you flying in on? I’ve got a couple of drink coupons for SWA that are due up by the end of Sept. and they’re yours for the taking if you can use them. Maybe they’ll serve a nice Fat Tire on board?

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
So where does western Colorado begin? Anything west of Denver and Colorado Springs?

No, the Western Slope refers to that part of Colorado west of the Continental Divide.

Posts: 13600 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
So where does western Colorado begin? Anything west of Denver and Colorado Springs?

No, the Western Slope refers to that part of Colorado west of the Continental Divide.
Well, I guess some of what I posted would be applicable, then.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

Technically Summit County is immediately West of the Continental Divide, and thus in and at the beginning of the Western Slope.

Loosely, though, most I know think the Western Slope starts West of Frisco. In other words, everything from the Eisenhower Tunnel to and including Frisco doesn't really count, unofficially.

Nobody much goes skiing at Breck, Copper, or Winter Park/Mark Jane and thinks of that as going to the Western Slope. Most Western Slope talk generally centers around Durango, Ouray, Telluride, Vail, Rifle, Montrose, etc.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Technically Summit County is immediately West of the Continental Divide, and thus in and at the beginning of the Western Slope.

And because of how the Continental Divide meanders, Lake County, which is west of most of Summit County, is on the Eastern Slope along with Denver, Colorado Springs, etc.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47720 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
Rolan,
What airline are you flying in on?

Thanks but we are flying Delta.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Some of my favorite things on the Western Slope:

- The Colorado National Monument (you can drive up in Fruita and descend in Grand Junction). Awesome.
- Ouray . Just an amazing little town that often gets overlooked.
- as has been said, the Durango Silverton Railroad.
- There are a number of silver mine tours that you can do as well.

If you have any questions about anything, dont hesitate to ping me.

- David

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3664 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post