SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Western Slope of Colorado Suggestions
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Western Slope of Colorado Suggestions Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
My wife and I want to check out the Western Slope of the Rocky's in September. Flying out to Denver and heading West. What's "not to miss" that time of year? We'll be out there for a Saturday to Saturday. We checked out the Front range a couple of years ago from Estes Park down to Royal Gorge.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerkyjer
posted Hide Post
Durango-the train will be spectacular if the trees are turning, mesa verde, ouray/ridgeway, black canyon, pagosa hot springs.

Enjoy your trip.

War Eagle!

Posts: 210 | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the aspen will be turning when you get there which will make your drive through the mountains even more spectacular.

Grand Junction is one of, might even be, the largest city on the western slope and there is always something going on there. Glenwood Springs is built around and near, large hot springs and mineral baths, some of which are public. Very relaxing to rest up in.

Doc Holiday's grave is also there in Glenwood Springs, which I expect you would be interested in seeing.

Lots of scenery, white water rafting and other touristy stuff so just go with the flow and enjoy. Wink

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2107 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Go north of Durango a bit and see Telluride... except for the hippies, it’s oneofmy favorite places.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7077 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Telluride is unbelievably beautiful. The free gondola ride up the mountain is fantastic. You can get off and hike with amazing views all around you. It's just awesome there.

Posts: 7353 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Driving to Denver this morning I saw that the aspens above about 9300 feet are starting to turn.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47720 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Driving to Denver this morning I saw that the aspens above about 9300 feet are starting to turn.

Seems a might early but it has really been feeling like early fall the last few days.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Mesa Verde National Park is worth a visit.

https://travel.mapquest.com/na...verde-national-park/

Posts: 27184 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Telluride...Silverton....Ouray...Durango...all excellent places to spend a few days and enjoying the surroundings.

Posts: 15085 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
be Forwarned there's a lot of burn area this year, Telluride,Crested Butte,Ouray, Gateway(route 141),Million Dollar Highway,Grand Mesa National Park. All worth while.

Posts: 2344 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
We did the Mount Evans Byway on a road trip and weren't disappointed. Beautiful, but there was still a lot of snow around when we were there. Up to the top of Mt. Even is the highest paved road in the United States, just the bragging rights of driving the highest road is worth something! Just west of Denver.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I think Rolan is looking for activities in the western half of the state.

Posts: 27184 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Go hike Hanging Lake in Glenwood Canyon.

If you're passing through Rifle, I70 between junction and Glenwood, stop in at Shooters Cafe for lunch. Once you're past Rifle you're in high Desert. Grand Mesa near Junction is my old riding grounds. Awesome twisties.

Rifle Falls is near my child hood home. Little Box Canyon has great climbing and amazing camping.

Aspen, Marble Falls, Redstone Castle. My dad was a coal miner up there.

Ok, now I'm homesick. Frown

Posts: 3048 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
Outside of Grand Junction is the Colorado National Monument, a mini Grand Canyon, lots of good hikes and scenic views.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Lots of good suggestions so far.

Vail, Telluride, Ouray (pronounced: you-ray), Durango.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several ways to get to the Western Slope. HIGHLY recommend you stay off the I70 corridor into the mountains on a Saturday, very heavy traffic west bound! Suggest 285 out Denver to Buena Vista. From there could either go over Cotton Wood pass if open which will drop you on Hwy 50 or stay on 285 to Salida, 50 West to Montrose. Lots of good places to get a snack in Buena Vista and downtown Salida. If you drive to Salida, you'll drive right by my favorite range 13 miles south of BV. On 50 you'll drive through the Gunnison Valley, beautiful wide open area. Black Canyon of The Gunnison (Colorado's mini Grand Canyon)is worth a stop. Take 550 south to Ouray, Silverton. That stretch of 550 through San Juans Mountains is amazing.

Depending on what you guys like to do... Lots of Ghost towns to explore in the Silverton, Ouray area. The Silverton/Durango train ride....

http://www.beaumonthotel.com/

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Isn't there a meal discount if you wear a sidearm & all the waitresses are packing.

EasyFire

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Monarch Pass near Gunniston is nice--a gondola up the mountain (part of the Continental Divide). https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157631554645812/

Telluride was interesting--Bridal Veil Falls.

DSC_3790.jpg
by David Casteel, on Flickr

Durango for the train ride, https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157631543439819/ but there's also a nice railroad museum in town. https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157631316512328/

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Another way to go west is i70, get off at Glenwood Springs towards Carbondale, take rt133 over McClure pass all the way into Delta.

Posts: 2344 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I used a lot of US-50.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post